Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Overdrive use

My 2005 Lexington 255 GTS has the Ford V10 and a transmission with overdrive.

Is it okay to drive it in OD under normal flat land driving conditions . I would suspect that non-overdrive would be used in the mountains or long grades or towing ‘heavy’ loads. I sometimes flat tow a Smart Car (1800#) in OD and it doesn’t even seem to know it’s back there....

Comments
Bill
2005gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #2

Put it in OD and go. Tow/haul will alter shifting. If no Tow/haul then use drive in hilly country.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 AM   #3

Thank you
Bill
Old 05-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
Broken Toe

Just some info...

OD is not some "attachment" or "component" in your transmission. It just indicates that your output shaft (driveshaft) spins faster than input shaft (engine). For the longest time, the highest gear in cars and trucks were direct drive (both shafts spin the same speed). Nowadays, the top gear is 'overdriven' and some manufactures like to tout it by indicating it as 'overdrive' on the selector instead of just 'drive'. The top two gears in my GMC terrain 9 speed are in fact overdriven.

I remember years ago friends who would shift out of overdrive into 3rd gear in the city because they didn't want to "burn out their overdrive". Just put it in Drive or Overdrive or whatever its called and let it go.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Just some info...

OD is not some "attachment" or "component" in your transmission. It just indicates that your output shaft (driveshaft) spins faster than input shaft (engine). For the longest time, the highest gear in cars and trucks were direct drive (both shafts spin the same speed). Nowadays, the top gear is 'overdriven' and some manufactures like to tout it by indicating it as 'overdrive' on the selector instead of just 'drive'. The top two gears in my GMC terrain 9 speed are in fact overdriven.

I remember years ago friends who would shift out of overdrive into 3rd gear in the city because they didn't want to "burn out their overdrive". Just put it in Drive or Overdrive or whatever its called and let it go.

Tim
Except in the OP's case it sounds like his F53 chassis has the overdrive button on the end of the gearshift lever. When pressed, as I remember, OD OFF will be displayed (illuminated) on the instrument panel display. Overdrive is not a selectable choice with the gear selector. I typically would disengage OD for steep downhill runs.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Except in the OP's case it sounds like his F53 chassis has the overdrive button on the end of the gearshift lever. When pressed, as I remember, OD OFF will be displayed (illuminated) on the instrument panel display. Overdrive is not a selectable choice with the gear selector. I typically would disengage OD for steep downhill runs.
No guarantee here, but I believe the OP has a Lexington which is probably based on a Ford E350 or E450 platform, not an F53 as in Class A units.

My transmission INCLUDES overdrive, but there’s no way to just turn it off. The selector shows. P R N D 3 2 1.
The button on the end of my gear selector is for tow/haul.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #7

It indeed is a V10 E450 cab/chassis with the OD on the end of the stalk. Pushing the button will display an OFF light and the engine rpms will go up significantly

Compared to my Rialta it is a gas hog and I wondered if OD might lug the engine and contribute to its thirst.....

Bill
Old 05-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
No guarantee here, but I believe the OP has a Lexington which is probably based on a Ford E350 or E450 platform, not an F53 as in Class A units.

My transmission INCLUDES overdrive, but there’s no way to just turn it off. The selector shows. P R N D 3 2 1.
OK, same scenario for his year platform, whatever it is. Didn't have tow/haul mode then. Procedure the same as stated.

Additional. F53 chassis was the same then also.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
No matter how it's done (button, lever, etc) when you "turn off" overdrive, you are simply telling the transmission not to shift into its top gear.

My advice to anyone is put it in D or OD and leave it. The transmission is plenty smart for figuring out what gear it should be in. As far as downshifting on hills... Well, its always been easier for me to change brake pads than transmissions.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 05-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Your "Drive" gear is an overdrive. I guess back in the day when they first came out, manufacturers like to tout that they offered "OVERDRIVE!!!™". Now that practically everything including my lawn tractor offers overdrive, they just call it "Drive". Like I said... My GMC terrain has 9 speeds, two of the are overdriven, and my gear selector only has a "D".

Tim

"Camper" 2016