RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #1

Overnight camping

We are planning a trip to Florida from Indiana.I would like to know if I should unhook my camper just for overnight stop,or is it ok to leave it hooked to my truck and just make sure its level.It,s a rockwood pull behind with 2 slides.
Kamper Kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:19 PM   #2
Always Learning

There’s no need to unhitch. Your camper takes more abuse going down the road than you’ll inflict on it by walking around. Do make sure you’re reasonably level for the slides and the fridge.

Pros to unhitching include being able to run for fuel, food, or even an easy get out easily in an emergent event.

Pros to staying hitched, it’s just easier!
Old 01-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #3

We would leave our trailer hooked up and would put the tongue jack down to help stabilize it or adjust the level. It also takes some load off the tow vehicle suspension. We were heavy on our tow vehicle.
Just make sure to put up your tongue jack before you drive away.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:09 AM   #4

If you can get your camper level with it connected, leave it connected. We have done it with our former TT and now with our 5er.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Kruzer View Post
We are planning a trip to Florida from Indiana.I would like to know if I should unhook my camper just for overnight stop,or is it ok to leave it hooked to my truck and just make sure its level.It,s a rockwood pull behind with 2 slides.
Yes, if somewhat level just leave er connected. A little less time in the morning when leaving.

Where are you going in Florida?
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Kruzer View Post
We always left our camper hooked up when we stopped overnight.
If you're going to camp at a site that has an electrical hookup, disconnect your connection to your tow vehicle. We had a friend who didn't disconnect and had a feedback into his truck. Cost him thousands to replace all the electronics the shorted out in the truck. Just make certain you reconnect before taking off.
If you're not connected to electric, just park and level the best you can.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:52 PM   #7

Overnight, I stay connected. However, if you are going to boondock off the batteries, unplug the 7-pin connector. My 12 volt aux on my van comes straight off the vehicle battery and if something went really wrong, I'd rather drain the trailer batteries rather than both trailer and vehicle batteries!

A lot of tow vehicles with from the factory trailer connections, though, disconnect the 12 volt aux to the trailer from the vehicle when turned off and you would always be OK then.

Always make sure to do your pre-departure checks the next morning too. Trailer still locked onto hitch ball, 7-pin cable connected, tongue and stabilizer jacks all raised, etc.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #8

On an overnight we stay connected unless the tow vehicle is needed for a run into town.

I typically level both directions using the Levellr orange blocks and the tongue jack. Usually don't bother with the stabilizer jacks. And I disconnect the trailer electrical plug, since mine is an always on connection. If the site has electrical, I may or may not use it, depending on need/desire for A/C and/or microwave.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #9

Agree with all these fine posters...no need to unhitch. I DO level out as best I can though

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We had a friend who didn't disconnect and had a feedback into his truck. Cost him thousands to replace all the electronics the shorted out in the truck.
That shouldn't be the case in any way. There's something fishy going on there.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping