Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #61

$800 for a carb/fuel pump sounds like a ripoff. I've replaced both myself for around $250, so it sounds like the dealer is yanking your chain there. In my case, my carb died due to the throttle guide rod (whatever you'd call the center rod that the throttle butterfly attaches to) wearing out the bushing in the carb. But thats the only issues along with a starter solenoid that I've had in close to 900 hours or run time on a 2015 model. I'd be pissed at your Onan dealer, not at Onan. JMO. Just keep running it once a month or add stabilizer to the fuel during storage if you can't run it for a couple months.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #62

The way shops charge for time and material, that sounds about right. Looked up a carb on eBay and that was 265. You know from Onan that will be a lot more. A lot of repair shops charge about 90 to 110 an hour. I am not saying this is right, but I can see where the 800 came from.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #63

Running a generator ocational to keep it dry and to keep it generating,,,
Makes total sense to me !!! But 12 hours a year ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #64

That's only a half an hour a month. You could be vacuuming it out, running a compressor to fill the tires. Checking the function of the AC unit. Half hour goes by pretty quick. No that is only if you don't use it at all! Your time may vary according to use throughout the year!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
$800 for a carb/fuel pump sounds like a ripoff. I've replaced both myself for around $250, so it sounds like the dealer is yanking your chain there. In my case, my carb died due to the throttle guide rod (whatever you'd call the center rod that the throttle butterfly attaches to) wearing out the bushing in the carb. But thats the only issues along with a starter solenoid that I've had in close to 900 hours or run time on a 2015 model. I'd be pissed at your Onan dealer, not at Onan. JMO. Just keep running it once a month or add stabilizer to the fuel during storage if you can't run it for a couple months.
I went to OANA of Grand Rapids for the Carb,,, an going to OANA of IN for the what I think is a fuel pump problem ???
Only folks I can find that will work on ONAN Generators in MHs !!!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
That's only a half an hour a month. You could be vacuuming it out, running a compressor to fill the tires. Checking the function of the AC unit. Half hour goes by pretty quick. No that is only if you don't use it at all! Your time may vary according to use throughout the year!
I think our manual calls for 1 hour a month ???
The next few months I guess I will be running the furnace !!!
21 this AM !!! Just a bit on the frosty side !!!
LOL !!!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #67

We will have those temps here Friday night and Saturday night, then a heat wave, tos over night!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #68

It not just running it for the engine part of the gen set, its the generator unit itself, There are hundred of feet of small wires wound and insulated, they do absorb moisture over time, by running the unit under load it dries out the windings/wiring , not doing this can cause corrosion and damage these wires, It really takes a good 45 minutes under at least 50% load to get this dried out. This way you also know that the generator not only runs but it is making power, By leaving it set for long periods of time you do not know how it will perform.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I think our manual calls for 1 hour a month ???
The next few months I guess I will be running the furnace !!!
21 this AM !!! Just a bit on the frosty side !!!
LOL !!!
I might average that for the months I don't run it. Summer driving down the road for AC. Run the compressor to check the tires before a trip. Cleaning up after a trip. General maint. With out thinking about it, the genny , at least mine, gets a lot of use. That's not even counting power outages at home!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I might average that for the months I don't run it. Summer driving down the road for AC. Run the compressor to check the tires before a trip. Cleaning up after a trip. General maint. With out thinking about it, the genny , at least mine, gets a lot of use. That's not even counting power outages at home!
Running the generator while traveling to run A/C,,,
What do you get about 4 miles per gallon ???
Old 11-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #71
Citrus County, Fl.

Wolverine...In the colder months to put a 50% load in the genny just plug in a space heater or if above 40 run the heat pump. In the hour that I run mine I also charge my Stanley compressor/jump starter and check a few other things that should be exercised occasionally that don't like siting like my hood fan, ceiling fans and slides. I am fortunate to have shore power at home and leave the motorhome hooked up all the time. I currently have about 200 hours on the generator and it never surges or stalls. When we get to the point where we are not camping for a few months I will add seafoam to the tank but I try not to let the fuel get any older than 3 months.

As for mpg, we run with the generator on 95% of the time and with the a/c on also towing a Corolla most of the time and my mpg average over 12,000 miles is 8. Also, you are not using propane for fridge with the generator on going down the road.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Wolverine...In the colder months to put a 50% load in the genny just plug in a space heater or if above 40 run the heat pump. In the hour that I run mine I also charge my Stanley compressor/jump starter and check a few other things that should be exercised occasionally that don't like siting like my hood fan, ceiling fans and slides. I am fortunate to have shore power at home and leave the motorhome hooked up all the time. I currently have about 200 hours on the generator and it never surges or stalls. When we get to the point where we are not camping for a few months I will add seafoam to the tank but I try not to let the fuel get any older than 3 months.

As for mpg, we run with the generator on 95% of the time and with the a/c on also towing a Corolla most of the time and my mpg average over 12,000 miles is 8. Also, you are not using propane for fridge with the generator on going down the road.
Sounds like some good advice !!!
I like the idea of running a space heater !!!
Less propane use !!!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #73

I have a 2013 Sunseeker and had to replace the fuel pump under warranty. I understand there were a lot of pump failures. After replacement, I have not had any issues. The pumps are available from Amazon for around $70 and can be owner replaced. It is located behind the control board.
They are made to run. And yes, the carb does retain fuel. The shutoff valve is a good idea but I would still excerise it. My unit currently has 204 hours and is just under 5 years old.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Sounds like some good advice !!!
I like the idea of running a space heater !!!
Less propane use !!!
[emoji106]
Gas mileage running genny is still 8 plus with mine. As far as the propane heater running, in mine it also heats where all the plumbing is. So you need to run it. During the day when temps are higher, then I use electric heater.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #75

I have never seen a reason to run A/C while traveling,,, there is just the 2 of us and the Cab A/C is all we need,,, and with the rear roof vent open it draws some cool ail to the rear !!! I normally switch from A/C to Vent,,, and back and forth !!!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #76

All depends on where and when you are traveling. If it really hot out,I will fire up the genny to pre-cool before I get to a CG. Then it does not take as,long to set up. Going through a city in heavy traffic, it helps on cooling the unit and you can cut back on the dash air for less strain on the engine cooling. Remember, I,am always towing a car trailer. Every little bit helps.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #77

Owan 4000 Generator !!!

I had a Onan 4000 for 5 years and Never had a problem. I added a extra filter a motorcycle fuel filter before the original filter, I ran it under load for 45 minutes per month and I ONLY used marine fuel. I guess that the reason it always worked for me....
Side note, that generator is the reason why I did not want to trade in my “old” camper.....
Old 11-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiewood View Post
I had a Onan 4000 for 5 years and Never had a problem. I added a extra filter a motorcycle fuel filter before the original filter, I ran it under load for 45 minutes per month and I ONLY used marine fuel. I guess that the reason it always worked for me....
Side note, that generator is the reason why I did not want to trade in my “old” camper.....
Marine Fuel !!!
Great but not sure we can afford to buy 55 gallons @ a time,,, or could always find it !!! Maybe the best thing to do is to drain the Generator,,, and forget you even have one !!!
Another question came to mind,,, our MH is a 2013,,, we bought it in 2014,,,
How long did it set with out the generator being exercised before we bought it ??? You know damm well the dealers are not exercise any of the generator on there lots !!!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #79

Mine was an external tank only for fueling the toys or the generator and it was only 20 gallons. I think I never used it for more than an hour at the time.

Tags
generator