Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #21

locating non ethanol gas

Sometimes I wonder about ....

Quick google search - your choice:

"locate non ethanol gas"
"ethanol free gas locator app"

yields https://www.pure-gas.org/ among others
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Sometimes I wonder about ....

Quick google search - your choice:

"locate non ethanol gas"
"ethanol free gas locator app"

yields https://www.pure-gas.org/ among others
Yep... tried that many moons back.
The only non-eth gas indicated in our area is a station that closed 7 years ago!

But I suppose if I seen it on the internet it must be true!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #23

Wolverine, the fuel shutoff valve is a good idea. One of the first things I did when we bought our MH. Make sure to put it in the supply to the gen so it shuts off gas to the whole fuel system. The fuel pump can get clogged with crappy gas sitting in it as much as the carb does. I have rebuilt a LOT of small engine carbs that sat idle for a time because of crappy e-gas. Although I still do exercise all my generators because part of the reason for exercising it is for the generator windings and magnets. This is especially true in damp areas. Their is a web site called pure-gas that has listings of e-free gas or as it is called here in Michigan, recreation fuel. It is important to have for outboards, snow-machines and chainsaws.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yep... tried that many moons back.
The only non-eth gas indicated in our area is a station that closed 7 years ago!

But I suppose if I seen it on the internet it must be true!
I guess you did not read the web page correctly

"If you buy ethanol-free gas, and your station isn't listed here, please add it now! State-by-state ethanol labeling requirements are listed at fuel-testers.com.
Please remove stations that no longer sell pure gas, even if you didn't post them!
But please don't remove stations simply because they don't sell to autos – many folks use this site to find pure gas for their boats and planes and lawnmowers and pumps and whatever. If you have to go behind the station to get gas from the secret pure-gas pump, that's fine here. If you can only buy pure gas in 5-gallon containers, that's also fine here. If a place sells pure gas, they belong on Pure-Gas.org. Period."

This is why I reluctantly assist and may stop. Constant complaints from non-helpful posters.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I believe it is 1 hour a Month,,,
What do people do that have to put there units in storage,,, and can't run them once a month ??? Having to run a generator 12 hours a year is Ridiculous !!! My neighbor & friend has a whole house generator,,, runs on Propane,,, it runs about 15 minutes a month's !!!
Our biggest problem with our RV generators is Ethanol !!!
We would have a lot less problems if we could buy Ethanol free gas,,,
like is sold at boat docks !!!
Recreational fuel is ethanol free. It's almost twice the cost of regular fuel. Or you could use Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #26
Crazy Dog Lady

Quote:
Yes I will take the blame for the carb,,,
I will be adding a gas shutoff valve to our ONAN !!!
When we purchased our MH I was surprised that there was no gas shut-off valve on the Onan generator. When I winterized the MH I added Sta-Bil to the gas tank, ran the generator for 1/2 hour under load and crossed my fingers.

I agree that adding a gas shut-off valve seems like a good idea. For the experts here, is there anything reason NOT to put in a shut-off valve?
Old 10-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I run premium fuel in all small engines that I have and the gas is ethanol free, the gas is out there you just have to look for it.
Maybe where you live. Only thing like that here is Race fuel.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #28

I felt bad for the central & sw US until I looked at availability in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	efg.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	155388  
Old 10-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #29

My parents MH has the same generator and it has been great. They keep their MH in storage and they still exercise the generator and MH once a month. They usually camp every month but for the months that they don't they take if for a 30 min drive. They fire up the generator and go for a drive. This is good for the generator, MH, and the tires. This is also a good way to find potential problems before vacations.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:13 PM   #30

I store my RV for 3 months at a time with a full tank of gas and plug my 30amp cable into the house outlet, also in the storage compartment. I never use my generator but start it once a month unfortunately I keep the RV covered so I can't run it under load. I want to keep it working and in good shape for when I decide to sell. My Guardian home generator runs on natural gas and exercises once a week for 12 minutes.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #31

gas generators

no matter the brand generators operating on gas require more maintenance and fussing which is why I converted mine to propane which is also a cleaner exhaust and seems quieter in my unit anyway.
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #32

Quote:
I believe it is 1 hour a Month,,,
What do people do that have to put there units in storage,,, and can't run them once a month ??? Having to run a generator 12 hours a year is Ridiculous !!! My neighbor & friend has a whole house generator,,, runs on Propane,,, it runs about 15 minutes a month's !!!
Our biggest problem with our RV generators is Ethanol !!!
We would have a lot less problems if we could buy Ethanol free gas,,,
like is sold at boat docks !!!
No sir it is 2 hours according the manual. I have provided the link below and look on page 10. It describes the problem that happens and then tells you what to do to keep it from happening (2 hours of exercising every 4 weeks due to fuel degradation).

There's a FAQ section starting on page 15 and a maintenance section starting on page 20.

https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #33

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone post that the Onan generator has a drain screw on the carburetor. Just put one paper towel under the carburetor and back out the screw a few turns. One paper towel will catch all the gas that drains. Be sure to tighten the screw or you'll have a nice fire when you start it the next time.

Like others I add stabilizer to the gas before I take it to storage. I drive around and try to slosh the gas to mix it, then run the generator long enough to get the treated gas to its carb, then drain it.

Of course, it's better to put the stabilizer in the tank and then add gasoline so it mixes as you fill it, but I never plan that far ahead. If you completely fill it with gas and then add stabilizer, you can't mix it very well by driving. The gas essentially moves back and forth but doesn't turn over and mix.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I felt bad for the central & sw US until I looked at availability in Canada.
A quick glance says to me that the fuel availability locations represent fairly accurately the population density in most areas. Canada's population is mostly clustered within a very short distance of the international border. We have about 10% of your population in a larger land mass.
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #35

Use 1 oz of Seafoam for each gallon of gas in the gas tank. This product available from auto parts houses and online keeps carb or fuel injection systems clean and stabilized gas over the winter or non-use periods. Regular unleaded gas with or without ethanol goes bad in as little as a month , losing octane rating and forming varnish/residue in fuel systems. Running the generator once a month for 5 min also helps. Many Onan generators have an altitude adjustment on the carb as well.
I have no problems with my two RV generators or 7 motorcycles using Seafoam. It comes in pint or gallon containers.
landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #36

Stations without ethanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not everywhere.

The only non-eth gas in our area is the little bottles at Lowe's.
We all know how economical that is!
Our local tiny airport has some but they don't sell to the general public.
I have to drive 45+ miles to get non-eth gas and that's at a marina who BTW, doesn't sell it in the winter months.
Check the website at: pure-gas.org. They list 99%of the stations that have ethanol free gas. In Montana we are fortunate to have "snowmobile" gas....non ethanol premium which is all I put in my motorcycle, for all the reasons listed in this discussion!
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #37

I also agree. Owan are great Gen.
Jesse Pena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #38

As is the case with most gens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Needs to be run 30 minutes a month with load per the Onan manual.
When you dont run them you are asking for problems.
Also
, Recreation gas (100% gasoline and stable with each fill up if it has its own fuel tank. Agree with others "Seafoam is a magic fixer and maintenance tool.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
no matter the brand generators operating on gas require more maintenance and fussing which is why I converted mine to propane which is also a cleaner exhaust and seems quieter in my unit anyway.
That is a Great Idea !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
No sir it is 2 hours according the manual. I have provided the link below and look on page 10. It describes the problem that happens and then tells you what to do to keep it from happening (2 hours of exercising every 4 weeks due to fuel degradation).

There's a FAQ section starting on page 15 and a maintenance section starting on page 20.

https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf
So why do I not have to run all my gas powered engines 2 hours a month ?
It is only these POC Generators that tell you should run every month !!!
I have an old push mower I use sometimes to mow under our Pine Trees,,,
It like all my other small engines set in the barn all winter,,, and they all fire up and run fine in the spring !!! With only Seafoam in the fuel !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator