RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #1

Owan 4000 Generator !!!

The Owan Generator in our Sunseeker is a POC !!!
This spring we had to have the Carb replaced,,, I guess because I did not run it often enough !!! When I went out yesterday to run it some it would not start,,, It looks to me that the fuel pump in not working,,, so now I must have it replaced !!! This Generator has less than 6 hours on it and is in a 2013 Sunseeker !!! It is nothing more than a wallet SUCKER !!!
Maybe close to $800 in less than a year !!!
Am I the only one having this much trouble with the OWAN 4000 ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Not sure what an OWAN generator is but ONAN gennys have been around forever and have been a reliable choice for R/V and many other industries for a long time. I have seen Onan generators that were 20-30 years old start and run like a champ.

Sounds like maybe you didn't understand the importance of exercising you generator when you first took possession and now you have some issues.

I hope you get everything straightened out.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Needs to be run 30 minutes a month with load per the Onan manual.
When you dont run them you are asking for problems.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

I hate to say this but you are probably at fault here. A generator needs to be run at least once a month and run under load. Six hours on a four year old generator itís a wonder it even cranks at all. My Hondaís I run once a month and run them under load, they run once a month for a hour. Sometimes more and under load. When I need my Hondaís I want them to work
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #5

You need to exercise the gen regularly. The service manual recommends 2 hours per month at a 50% load and an additive when not in use.

As a comparison that gen should have roughly 100 hours on it (assuming mid year purchase and prescribed exercising).

Once you get it all fixed this time, exercise it and do all the recommended maintenance int he manual and I bet you will have far less problems with it.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
You need to exercise the gen regularly. The service manual recommends 2 hours per month at a 50% load and an additive when not in use.

As a comparison that gen should have roughly 100 hours on it (assuming mid year purchase and prescribed exercising).

Once you get it all fixed this time, exercise it and do all the recommended maintenance int he manual and I bet you will have far less problems with it.
X2! Can't blame them for your lack of use!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #7

Yes I will take the blame for the carb,,, since I have the carb replaced I have been running it every month,,, I keep my fuel treated with the Blue stabilizer & Seafoam !!!
I don't see how me not running it in the past would cause the fuel pump to go bad ???
The ONAN service centers must be making a fortune off of servicing them !!!
The generator I have in the garage for when our power goes out has a gas shutoff valve, so when you get done using it you can turn the gas off and run the carb dry !!!
That generator can sit for a year,,, and will fire right up,,, no problems !!!
This MH sat on a sales lot for maybe a year when we bought it,,, don't know if there was any fuel in the carb or not ???
I will be adding a gas shutoff valve to our ONAN !!!
Thanks to all that have replied !!!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post

I believe it is 1 hour a Month,,,
What do people do that have to put there units in storage,,, and can't run them once a month ??? Having to run a generator 12 hours a year is Ridiculous !!! My neighbor & friend has a whole house generator,,, runs on Propane,,, it runs about 15 minutes a month's !!!
Our biggest problem with our RV generators is Ethanol !!!
We would have a lot less problems if we could buy Ethanol free gas,,,
like is sold at boat docks !!!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #9

The problem is NOT due to your generator quality. Onan Gensets are excellent units. The problem is with the crap gas we are forced to buy for environmental reasons. The ethanol that is blended into gasoline rots the gas and will ruin whatever is not plastic in our fuel systems in short order. You state you needed to change out a carburetor and now a fuel pump. Guess what, that fuel got in there and when you had your unit in storage, the fuel rotted and separated into water and sludge. The water from that process corroded the interior of the metal carb and fuel pump rendering them unrepairable. Before you store your rig, you have two choices, run the genset until it runs out of fuel, or add some fuel stabilizer to the fuel and then run the genset for about an hour or so to ensure the stabilized fuel gets into the carb and entire fuel system. If your coach is gas powered, the exact same damage is happening in its fuel system. However, the Onan is a bit more sensitive, but that damage is still destroying your vehicle. Welcome to the Real World destruction of environmentally friendly fuel. Propans does not have the corrosion effects of Ethanol fuel. Propane is a mostly dry gas that engines can run on well, without the destructive corrosion effects to an engines fuel system.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdas88 View Post
The problem is NOT due to your generator quality. Onan Gensets are excellent units. The problem is with the crap gas we are forced to buy for environmental reasons. The ethanol that is blended into gasoline rots the gas and will ruin whatever is not plastic in our fuel systems in short order. You state you needed to change out a carburetor and now a fuel pump. Guess what, that fuel got in there and when you had your unit in storage, the fuel rotted and separated into water and sludge. The water from that process corroded the interior of the metal carb and fuel pump rendering them unrepairable. Before you store your rig, you have two choices, run the genset until it runs out of fuel, or add some fuel stabilizer to the fuel and then run the genset for about an hour or so to ensure the stabilized fuel gets into the carb and entire fuel system. If your coach is gas powered, the exact same damage is happening in its fuel system. However, the Onan is a bit more sensitive, but that damage is still destroying your vehicle. Welcome to the Real World destruction of environmentally friendly fuel. Propans does not have the corrosion effects of Ethanol fuel. Propane is a mostly dry gas that engines can run on well, without the destructive corrosion effects to an engines fuel system.
I totally agree with you 100% !!!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I totally agree with you 100% !!!
X3!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #12

Stop blaming the user. Problem is the Gen should be able to handle the gas, just like the vehicle. If not, it should have a dedicated fuel tank that can be filled with NON-Ethanol Gas. This is probably finger pointing between RV and Generator manufacturers.

Just running it 1-2, .. hrs per month is definitely advisable for ANY engine, but will not prevent crappy gas problems. I fill my lawnmowers, boat, mc, .. with non-ethanol. I reserve the std gas station 10% ethanol to cars - that are mandated to handle it.

I use special additives if the fuel will be in a tank for extended duration, regardless of type.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Ethanol has been in the fuel mix for a few decades now. Any manufacture that produces a product that fails due to ethanol (less than 15%) is incompetent at best.

That being said, I have had mostly good luck with a now 10 year old ONAN that was not run much (I bought the MH in 2015 and the generator had under 20 hours).
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:29 AM   #14

From what I have seen & heard the ONAN service centers have trouble keeping these Very Fragile carbs in stock !!! Even though they're not cheap in price,,, the ONAN service center in GR Michigan charges $138 an hour for labor !!! ONAN of IN. is $94 per Hour !!!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Stop blaming the user. Problem is the Gen should be able to handle the gas, just like the vehicle. If not, it should have a dedicated fuel tank that can be filled with NON-Ethanol Gas. This is probably finger pointing between RV and Generator manufacturers.

Just running it 1-2, .. hrs per month is definitely advisable for ANY engine, but will not prevent crappy gas problems. I fill my lawnmowers, boat, mc, .. with non-ethanol. I reserve the std gas station 10% ethanol to cars - that are mandated to handle it.

I use special additives if the fuel will be in a tank for extended duration, regardless of type.

Not arguing nor blaming the user. For a gasoline powered device no matter what it is, any blended fuel purchased will damage the components that touch that fuel, unless the device is CONSTANTLY being used. Not many people encounter the problem in a car, but an RV that site 1/2 to 3/4 of the year, or a lawnmower, or snowmobile, or any lightly used item such as a generator, the FUEL is the problem, period. All gas powered items are engineered to use the fuel that is available in the open market. It is the poor quality fuel that, when the fuel sits and breaks down, destroys the metal in the fuel systems. In many areas of this country, old fashioned RAW, unblended gasoline is not available due to various state laws. It is in these regions, this is where the problem develops. Sometimes when folks return from their outings, they forget what fuel they actually filled their vehicle with and inadvertently filled up with blended fuel just prior to going into storage.
Being aware and being proactive is the only way to defend ourselves and protect our gear from being destroyed.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #16

I treat all my small engine fuel with Seafoam as soon as we get to home,,,
I think it keeps my small engines running well !!!
Lawn Tractors - Lawn Mower - Snowblower - Edger - Leaf Blower - Weed Wip - Chain Saw
Garage Generator,,, only thing I have ever had trouble with is RV Generator !!!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #17

I run premium fuel in all small engines that I have and the gas is ethanol free, the gas is out there you just have to look for it.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I run premium fuel in all small engines that I have and the gas is ethanol free, the gas is out there you just have to look for it.
Not everywhere.

The only non-eth gas in our area is the little bottles at Lowe's.
We all know how economical that is!
Our local tiny airport has some but they don't sell to the general public.
I have to drive 45+ miles to get non-eth gas and that's at a marina who BTW, doesn't sell it in the winter months.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #19

I can find it at two local gas stations not more than ten miles from my house
Old 10-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I can find it at two local gas stations not more than ten miles from my house
Lucky to be you!

Tags
generator