Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #1

P.d.i.

hello all, just picked up our new travel trailer yesterday. Rockwood 2604. Upon checking things out once we got home we are finding lots of small items that are not correct. We have one window that will not even open, a strap under trailer to hold covered floor panels in place half hanging off, system still full of coolant etc. Should the wheel bearings have been greased? mouse poop in the storage area and kitchen drawers, Don't want to bore you with the rest. I guess my question is, is this the norm for the industry? should pictures be taken and sent in, should I get my P.D.I. money back? seems to me they missed a lot. Any feed back would be good as I will be calling dealership in the morning. Thanks in advance for your replies
bryanne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Site Team

my dealer didn't charge for the PDI, i think it's robbery to do it.
so, yes, i'd ask for it back if they didn't correct all the factory mistakes.

it's common for there to be lots of little things wrong, but i don't think it's common for a dealer to charge for the PDI.
and if they do, everything should be found and fixed before you take it.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

I absolutely agree with dan... charging for a PDI is highway robbery! Some dealers just don't get it...

Get your money back on the PDI and make them correct the issues you have. And yes it is common to have a few issues with new travel trailers. Keep a punch list and make sure your dealer takes care of all of them.
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
https://www.armadillotimes.com
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
(Kim)

When we were shopping for the trailer, all the dealers quoted a 'pdi' cost, which was about $350 on average.
I think it is BS, and they just use this as a "padding' onto the original quoted trailer price, and instead of taking money off the trailer, they waive the $350 pdi......and freight (an additional $650 cost on average).
Bryanne7........sounds like you bought it off the lot...and it wasnt a factory build.....so idk how it works with the pdi when they order units for the dealership.....do they inspect it when it initially comes in.....or wait and let it stay on the lot and do the pdi when it is purchased...?
I cant see them doing it twice.......
If I had paid for the pdi....I would call and complain and try and get some of the money for it back.....
The mouse poop issue is gross..........=[
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is charging for a PDI a Canadian dealership "thing"? We've had a number of trailers throughout the years in my family and I don't ever recall the PDI being an extra cost.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

You get charged for PDI when you buy a new vehicle, why not on a trailer? That being said you should at the very least get a good PDI done. Not sure about your dealer but ours had a work sheet from FR that they went by and when we did the walk through there was a check sheet that we had to sign at the end verifying we went through everything. According to the dealer the worksheet as well as the walkthrough checksheet went back to FR.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Site Team

I was charged for PDI when I brought my TT off the lot. At first I resented the charge, just like when buying a car, but since then I have gotten my value out of it so I'm over it.

In many cases the PDI will get paid for either by upfront charge or something hidden in another area. (Of course there will be exceptions)

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

So, do we add PDI fees to the list of inevitables? Now to read "The only things in life that are inevitable are Death, Taxes and PDI fees".

John & Deb
Old 05-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Full serve / self serve same price here and they do windows and actually have bug cleaner stuff in the mix. Even check oil if you ask.

John & Deb
Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Site Team

TheSasks:
After posting my previous message I deleted the post to avoid highjacking the topic. (In case anyone is wondering where the full serve/self service reply is referring to)

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
You get charged for PDI when you buy a new vehicle, why not on a trailer? That being said you should at the very least get a good PDI done. Not sure about your dealer but ours had a work sheet from FR that they went by and when we did the walk through there was a check sheet that we had to sign at the end verifying we went through everything. According to the dealer the worksheet as well as the walkthrough checksheet went back to FR.
we had the same worksheet from Forest River signed by us and returned to the factory. we didn't pay for the PDI.

I would ask for the PDI money back and at worst case split it with the dealer. your trailer should of been detailed and at most you should of found only a few items wrong.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Is charging for a PDI a Canadian dealership "thing"? We've had a number of trailers throughout the years in my family and I don't ever recall the PDI being an extra cost.
Not sure......this is the first trailer we have bought.
Although every dealership I called, here and in Detriot all had an extra cost for the PDI.
As I said before, I think it is just a charge they put there, so when they negotiate a price and suddenly take it off....we think we are getting an awesome deal, but I'm sure it is still in there somewhere
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #13

Per my purchase agreement, my dealer calls this "Prep & Presentation". (And yes, they charge for it!)

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Well I learn something new everyday. As a business owner, its amazing to me the add-on's some other businesses charge. I would have thought that a PDI was at least the cost of doing business but really presents a great opportunity for that dealer to service the client. I mean, often service is correcting a negative - like solving a problem - and that can sometimes be turned into a positive. But, to take a naturally positive event where a customer is enthusiastic, happy-to-be-there and so on and charge for it? Its beyond me.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #15

When negotiating our lastest trailer I gave them a number that included everything - taxes/fees/etc.
The salesman said, "Oh, a down the road offer?"
I responded, "You got it."

Worked for us.

Mike
puckdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdad View Post
When negotiating our lastest trailer I gave them a number that included everything - taxes/fees/etc.
The salesman said, "Oh, a down the road offer?"
I responded, "You got it."

Worked for us.

Mike
Yep.....same thing for me. We are on our third TT (including a tent trailer for our son) in the last five years, and I learned this lesson after the first trailer. There can be a number of different "add on" fees, so be prepared to negotiate these at the time of signing the deal. It's a pretty safe bet that charges such as PDI fees, etc, will rapidly disappear if you are prepared to walk out the door rather than accept the fees.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #17
(Kim)

We actually didn't negotiate the price.
Just called around, and went with the person who gave the lowest price (from a reputable dealership of course).
The 'extra fees' disappeared after my second call-back without me even asking about them, and everything was included.

I hate doing business with salesmen you have to kick in the b#*ls to get a good price from.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #18

thanks for the response. I will be talking to the dealer today and will keep you posted
bryanne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #19

There were no dealer prep charges, add-on fees, etc. In our deal. Our dealer was up front, honest and didn't try to get us to add on extras like scotchgard, levels, paint protection, etc., etc., etc. It was refreshing to not have to do the back and forth dance for an hour or more.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #20

PDI is a cash grab, plain and simple. The manufacturer pays the dealer( automotive and rv) to make sure the unit is in good condition before delivery. It is the same with the finance charges , another cash grab. The finance companies give kickbacks if the f&i people use them. Hsbc pays the f&i guy $1000.00 for every deal they write up for them. It drives me up the wall with the constant screw tactics they use.
2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote