Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #21

We have the contractors name and info and they have the claim and photos that we supplied to Neb DOT. Going to try to get them to at least cover replacement of mirrors, grill, bumper, facia, ect...the removable parts that I can do.
We're just going to wait till we get home as cell and internet is very spotty at best...had none in Teton and just barely here outside of West Yellowstone.
As for our insurance, with a $1000 deductable I would still have to lay out for the mirrors, grill, bumper. A paint job to the front cap and part of the drivers side would never match up as the rig is 7 years old, and I don't think insurance would cover a full paint job. Hoping the disolver will take most of it off.
Thanks everyone for the info.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
We have the contractors name and info and they have the claim and photos that we supplied to Neb DOT. Going to try to get them to at least cover replacement of mirrors, grill, bumper, facia, ect...the removable parts that I can do.
We're just going to wait till we get home as cell and internet is very spotty at best...had none in Teton and just barely here outside of West Yellowstone.
As for our insurance, with a $1000 deductable I would still have to lay out for the mirrors, grill, bumper. A paint job to the front cap and part of the drivers side would never match up as the rig is 7 years old, and I don't think insurance would cover a full paint job. Hoping the disolver will take most of it off.
Grumpy
When the damage is not your fault YOUR insurance company goes after THEIR insurance company for the full amount of damages, even deductible.

Sometimes it's easier to deal with YOUR company and let them handle the problem, especially if the parties are located in another State.

This "article" explains the process better than I can.

https://www.esurance.com/info/claims...y-it-important

Going through your insurance company will usually eliminate delays and then they get to talk to the other insurance company in their own language. They will merely "subrogate" your claim which is another way of saying they'll force them to pay up.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #23

I understand Titan, and we will probably go that route. Haven't notified our insurance, but will tomorrow just to let them know what happened.'Right now, 2400 miles from home and 2 weeks out so any work will just have to wait .
Grumpy

Old 05-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #24

I agree, let your insurance company fight the battle for you. That is their specialty.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #25

Quote:
I understand Titan, and we will probably go that route. Haven't notified our insurance, but will tomorrow just to let them know what happened.'Right now, 2400 miles from home and 2 weeks out so any work will just have to wait .
Grumpy
Enjoy the rest of your trip home and be safe.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Enjoy the rest of your trip home and be safe.
Appreciate it Titan. Did contact insurance this past hour to get ball rolling...National General thru FMCA. First time with a claim with them, so we'll see how it goes.
Grumpy

Old 05-29-2019, 04:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Grumpy
As I stated, if you have full coverage, go through your own insurance company, it’s what you pay them for.

You will NOT be responsible for the mirrors, grille, and bumper unless you have some kind of bizarre policy that only covers certain things.

As for matching paint, any body shop can blend the paint so you’ll never see the difference. A neighbor backed into my 12 yo suv and damaged the front fender and door. They blended the paint so well you could never tell it was repaired.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #28

Sorry that this happened to you, but thanks for posting it.

I will say on older paint I have never seen a body shop that can match it, but........

This is of interest in the past couple of years OSHA has required employers to use a method to protect employees from silica dust when cutting concrete. The most common method is wetting the concrete.

I had never heard of damage to passing vehicles but I am going to look into it here, with some of our contractors that I deal with and our VDOT .

Keep us posted as your findings.

Good luck hopefully everything works out for you.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Grumpy
Better plan on another route home as all those roads.....are underwater....again. Hwy 2, Nebraska City to Iowa, I-29 north/south to St. Joe MO. Hwy, 34 NE to IA. All closed this morning.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:01 AM   #30

We're looking into cutting thru Yellowstone east bound, catching I-90, and dropping down to I-80, to I-70 and working toward home in Va. Plans are flexible as no rush so we can adjust as needed.
Grumpy

Old 05-31-2019, 08:57 AM   #31

Insurance adjuster from National General has made arrangements for a local adjuster to come to our home in Va when we get home. So, not going to clean anything...will just drive our rig with the new "spotted look".
Grumpy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190518_131203126 (1).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	206016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190518_131208998_HDR (1).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	206018  

Old 05-31-2019, 09:26 AM   #32

X? When the contractor hires sub-contractors the contractor is responsible. If you file a claim fast enough they contractors pay will be tied up until rectified.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Insurance adjuster from National General has made arrangements for a local adjuster to come to our home in Va when we get home. So, not going to clean anything...will just drive our rig with the new "spotted look".
Grumpy
LOL reminds me of the trunk paint they used to sell
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:16 AM   #34
Retired Old Fart

Some people pay big bucks for stuff with that "rock" look. You might start a new fad!

Sort of looks like that Rust-o-leum "textured" spray paint!
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #35

Well, everything that can be unbolted, unscrewed, or pried off the front end will have to be replaced, cause this stuff ain't comming off unless sanded.
What I am thankful for is the fact that my rig is plain jane, with no full body paint. Just white Ford paint and gel coat white.
If it was full body paint, no way would any shop be able to match all the colors after sanding the front and most of the left drivers side. Would be looking at a full, complete new paint job.
Grumpy

Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #36

Use white vinegar. I had the exact same problem on my truck a year or so ago...

Spray it on with a spray bottle, wait 5 or so minutes and rinse off. Took a couple applications but completely removed it.

Muriatic acid seems risky to paint.......
Four22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #37

White vinigar is the first thing we tried. Let a towell soaked in it cover a spot for 1/2 hour. Didn't do squat. Did NOT try any type of acid.
Tried a dedicated "concrete dissolver" and that didn't do squat either.
Stuff will most likely have to be sanded off body and a new paint applied. Letting insurance take care of it.
Grumpy

Old 06-04-2019, 07:20 AM   #38

Would you rather have some paint to fix, or deal with what these people are dealing with ??

Click image for larger version

Name:	1000w_q95.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	206385

Could always be worse.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #39

Wolf, I agree, totally. Someone, somewhere else is always having a worse day than me.
Insurance, paint, parts will take care of my problem. Those you pictured and others have lost everything they own.
Mine...minor inconvience . Theirs...major life changing problem.
Grumpy

Old 06-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #40

We had a similar experience. Drove under an overpass that was being worked on. Got splattered though fewer and larger chunks than you. Fortunately we were able to stop within 3/8 mile and dive for the water bottles and started dumping water on the spots rubbing gently with our hands. When the bottles ran out DW went to the 5er and brought gallon milk jugs (that we keep under the sink for limiting galley tank fill) of water while I kept working. Even at 6-3 I can't reach the middle of the 2500HD hood, but was able to splash on enough water to break loose those chunks.

Interestingly a highway patrol officer showed up and helped. He also called the overpass job foreman to come and give us information in case we had any lasting damage. He also gave us his info in case we needed him to corroborate any claim.

Sometimes luck happens.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote