Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #1

Please help with smell

I know this topic has been asked about 1,000,000 times, but I haven't read about this particular situation, yet. Somewhere in my living/kitchen area, or beneath it, is a sour chemical smell. The closest thing I can think of, is pickle juice. There was carpet deodorizer behind the couch, when I looked but I sniffed every inch of the carpet in the slide and couldn't smell this. I'm stumped. At first listen, most are inclined to say black water, but the bathroom and bedroom smell fine. I'm hoping someone has can shed some light on where this might be coming from. I'm at my wits end. Nothing will kill this odor. Thanks for any info.
MSRockyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
GLCM Warrior

I don't know that I'd call the smell of a dead rodent anything near like pickle juice...but is it possible that an animal or rodent found a spot to hide in and then died?

Other than that...I'd suspect a galley gray tank smell...is it stronger under or near the plumbing for the sink?

I've taken to putting a treatment in our gray tanks, mainly because one of my DW's friends is terrible about letting scraps of fruit and vegetables go down the drain and they can stink things up pretty good!

Good luck in locating the source.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:17 AM   #3

Someone mentioned in another thread that the batteries can off gas an acid smell. Just a thought-but easy to check!
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

First a couple of questions, is this a new trailer, a new to you used trailer or have you owned this for awhile? If this is a new trailer, is it the formaldehyde smell they come with? If it is used, did they have pets or could they have spilled something on the carpet? Next, have you made sure there is water or antifreeze in your p traps? There is a product called zeolite that gets rid of smells, but you need to find the cause first.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #5

One thing that now one has mentioned is if you get RV Anti Freeze in your hot water tank and warm it up, it can cause a real bad smell that is hard to get rid of.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Rivnut

make sure the sink traps have water in them and you will have no odors from the tanks.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #7

You will get a sour smell from your grey tank if it is not cleaned out regularly. If you have a sink near the smell area that could be it. The tank will get a build up of oils that hold odors. Get a grey tank deodorizer it comes in a large tablet and dissolves in your sink right into the tank. It will break down any oils in your tank and give it a lemon smell. Do this about every 3rd trip at least.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Last year we had an un-findable smell and it turned out our black tank had shifted and fllen off the "minimal" cradle that held it in place. consequently the discharge pipe had slipped out of the tank and the odor was from the tank. You couldn't really see anything because of the underbelly panels blocked the view of the tanks.
Good luck
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the replies. I got sidetracked with a lot this week, but I think I found the source. It is the grey tank smell, but not from the sinks. Apparently the smell is coming from below. The guy that was helping me, said there wasn't anything wet, underneath, but that he couldn't see the tank, itself. He said maybe a coupler is loose or something. Anyway, the smell was coming through a hole in the floor that wasn't sealed. I filled that hole with spray foam and can't smell the smell coming up, anymore. However, the smell is still in the living area. Should I close the valve to the grey tank and poor the solution in? I'm staying at a campground longterm, so I just left the grey tank valve, open.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #10

You have a leak somewhere. Spraying foam in some hole will make it come up in another spot. I'd be concerned of a buildup of flammable gas of some sort. Don't ignore it.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #11

Yeah, that makes sense. I will try to get under there tomorrow, and figure it out. At least that cold air isn't getting in, anymore. I'm just glad to know what it is.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #12

My 2 cents - when you are camped don't leave the valves open on the grey or black tanks. It allows the smell (gas) from the campground sewer to enter your system.

I usually have to dump the grey tank twice before I have to dump the black. I try to have a near full grey so that when i dump the black it washes the lines out.

We've had some bad smells by leaving those valves open on a campground system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
My 2 cents - when you are camped don't leave the valves open on the grey or black tanks. It allows the smell (gas) from the campground sewer to enter your system.

I usually have to dump the grey tank twice before I have to dump the black. I try to have a near full grey so that when i dump the black it washes the lines out.

We've had some bad smells by leaving those valves open on a campground system.

I leave the black water valve closed but until Friday night, I had always left the grey open. Well, you are correct. No more pickle juice smell. I am still going to get the guy to fix it, permanently, but I will keep the grey valve closed, from now, on. Thanks for everyone's input. All the info helped and kept me from putting the trailer on the auction block. Lol
Old 02-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSRockyblue View Post
I leave the black water valve closed but until Friday night, I had always left the grey open. Well, you are correct. No more pickle juice smell. I am still going to get the guy to fix it, permanently, but I will keep the grey valve closed, from now, on. Thanks for everyone's input. All the info helped and kept me from putting the trailer on the auction block. Lol
Like I stated in your Other (Pickle Post) glad your out of the Pickle! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #15
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Like I stated in your Other (Pickle Post) glad your out of the Pickle! Youroo!!
OHCH!!!! that's gerkin!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #16

Sounds like you figured it out before my post! Congratulations! Take some pics of the repair if you can. I'd like to see if I have a similar problem.

MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
I don't know that I'd call the smell of a dead rodent anything near like pickle juice...but is it possible that an animal or rodent found a spot to hide in and then died?
I am inclined to maybe go with what Lefty says. We had similar smell a couple of years ago, and eventually found a dead mouse under the dinette seat. That puppy was juicy.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #18

Some folks on here might argue that the p traps are designed to keep sewer smells from entering the coach if you left the grey valve open. I tried that a couple days and got complaints from the BOSS about a sewer smell. I closed the grey valve and in a couple hours, no more complaints. In your S/B house, the p traps will work to keep the odors away. But in my TT(for me) it didn't work.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #19

Try putting a little bleach in the water the next time you do dishes. Works like a charm!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

As has been stated, if you leave any dump valves open, you are venting the entire campground thru your camper sewer system and the P traps are not designed for the added flow of a campground.

Your camper sewer system is a closed system other than the individual built in vents.