Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
Plug it in or not?

i have a 2010 sunseeker 3100ss. what is your opinion on leaving it plugged into the house 120v system all winter where it goes below freezing many nights? of course i disconnect for the monthly genny exercise.
jk31668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #2

I live in Northern MD 11 mile from the PA line, i leave my camper plugged in all winter and have been doing this for 10 years, i check the battery once a month. By leaving the camper plugged in it keeps the battery on a trickle charge and somewhat warm, but the battery water level needs to be at a normal level. I never had a battery go dry during the winter by leaving it plug in and if water is need it, it is best to add water to a warm or fully charged battery.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #3

I take mine out and leave it in the garage and then charge it once a month or so to maintain the battery. I have to blow the snow out of the driveway and snow blowers and electrical cords don't mix!! My parents leave theirs plugged in due to its location in the back yard. Either way doesn't matter.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

My RV's have been plugged in since 1977 with no issues except maybe a bit higher electric bill.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Plugged in all winter. Since everything is off except for Converter and CO detector, its not too expensive.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
Retired US Navy Diver

I've been leaving mine plugged in. I have a floor model electric heater inside. I set the gas trailer heater on the lowest setting so if power is lost for an extended time and I'm not home, the trailer gas heater kicks on at 55.
gktsuda1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #7

I leave ours plugged in. The only exception is that I don't winterize, so I have a ceramic heater in the middle of the TT. No problems.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Whether you should leave your Sunseeker plugged in all winter has a lot to do with what type of converter you have.

2 stage converter......no way.

3 stage converter.......yes way.

Many of the posters here have trailers. Most trailers come with 3 stage converters. Many motor homes only have 2 stage converters. In that case, don't leave it plugged in......it could boil your battery dry.

Check out the make and model of your converter and see what you have. Even if you have a 3 stage converter, still check the battery water level every couple of weeks as a precaution.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #9

i leave mine plugged in. don't know what kind of converter i have. last yr, i installed a maintance free battery. can't recall the type at the moment...it looks like a six pack of 16oz. i'm hoping it outlast the truditional marine bat.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #10

I bought my RV (motorhome) from a previous owner who always left the RV plugged (year-round). When I got the RV home, one of the two batteries was dry as a bone, the other battery was still okay. Since mine has a 2-stage charger, I have to agree with MTNGUY above, until I can upgrade my converter, I won't leave it plugged in. I removed the battery to my garage and monitor it monthly.
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Whether you should leave your Sunseeker plugged in all winter has a lot to do with what type of converter you have.

2 stage converter......no way.

3 stage converter.......yes way.

Many of the posters here have trailers. Most trailers come with 3 stage converters. Many motor homes only have 2 stage converters. In that case, don't leave it plugged in......it could boil your battery dry.

Check out the make and model of your converter and see what you have. Even if you have a 3 stage converter, still check the battery water level every couple of weeks as a precaution.
Chap, it's good that you pointed this out about the converter, i have all ways been told to leave it plugged in by the dealer and i had no reason to question this info.....One learns something new every day isn't this a great forum? Thanks............
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

If you are not sure what type converter you have, post the make and model number here and someone (me, if no one else) will research it and post how many stages you have and a manual if it is available online.

If you have a WFCO here is their web site:
http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/index...d=44&Itemid=77
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #13

leaving camper plug in for winter.

Years ago I had a coachman TT made in the seventies. Lived in it a number of months. The battery exploded one night. Kinda watch the battery now with new trailer and how long I leave it plugged in. I think its better for a battery to discharge and recharge over time.
Chicken Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

The guy next to me had a boiled dry battery (never checked it and a 2 stage charger) in his Southwind Motor home. He plugged in to the campground power and after about an hour everyone was outside thinking someone had fired a rifle shot by accident. This is what we found.

Apparently he filled the empty battery with distilled water and it froze solid. The fast charge rate generated so much hydrogen, the battery sparked and exploded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-160453073.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	4347   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2718592042.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	4348  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
Anacortesians

We don't get many days where the temperature stays below 32F, so we keep our rig plugged in. We have a deLonghi oil-filled radiator sitting in the kitchen area towards the bedroom end and I got a plug-in programmable digital thermostat. I have it set to its minimum of 45F all the time.

During the colder overnights, my Killl-a-watt shows we burned off some watt hours, but the remote thermometer (I have the base unit in the house) showed the internal temp near the driver's seat never went below about 34F, even on a couple of 26F outside temps.

I'm happy with this set-up.