Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Wink Portable BBQ & RV Quick-Disconnect Hookup?

I just bought a 2012 Catalina 29RLS, and it comes with an underbelly propane quick disconnect. I also have a Portachef Pro BBQ that comes designed and plumbed to hook up to a 20# propane tank. The attachment hose has a regulator.

I believe that the propane connection on my Catalina is already regulated, so do I have to worry about hooking up a regulated propane source to a regulated accessory and having low flow?

The grill people suggest that it only be hooked up to a 20# tank as designed. I would like to have the convenience of hooking it up to my RV via the quick-disconnect. My RV has 30# tanks. Am I out of luck? Am I going to have to haul 20# tanks around to use it?

Thank you to all those who might have some tips on what to do here.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

I could be wrong, but I beleive the pressure coming out after the value will be the same on either a 20 or 30 tank.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #3

The quick connect on the TT is after the regulator.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
I could be wrong, but I beleive the pressure coming out after the value will be the same on either a 20 or 30 tank.
Youre correct 20 and 30 same pressure.

Id take the regulator off.
its all ready regulated
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #5

This all makes sense to me. I'll give it a try after removing the regulator from the grill. Thanks for the replies out there!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

In theory, the second regulator shouldn't hurt anything. Although I've never tried that.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #7

You will have trouble finding the male end that connects to the quick connector that will be installed on your grill in your local stores. Here is a link to a website that deals with gas connectors for RVs. Best thing to do is call them and tell them what you got and what you want to connect it to. May also help to look on your quick connector to see if there is a number on the connector. Mine had a tag on it that referenced Fairview Fittings. I did the same thing. I had a small grill that I use for tailgating and it too had a regulator. I purchased a 12 foot extension hose with a 3/8 flair pipe fitting for the grill and the male connector for the trailer side on the other end. I disconnected the regulator and the hose then connected the new extension hose and plug it into the quick connector on the trailer. Works great.

Fairview Fittings And Manufacturing

good luck

Patrick
PatrickCrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #8

Patrick - thank you for pointing me to this site. If they don't have it, you probably shouldn't be messing around with it. Once I get my RV back, I'll look at what I have on each end and match them up.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCrotty
You will have trouble finding the male end that connects to the quick connector that will be installed on your grill in your local stores. Here is a link to a website that deals with gas connectors for RVs. Best thing to do is call them and tell them what you got and what you want to connect it to. May also help to look on your quick connector to see if there is a number on the connector. Mine had a tag on it that referenced Fairview Fittings. I did the same thing. I had a small grill that I use for tailgating and it too had a regulator. I purchased a 12 foot extension hose with a 3/8 flair pipe fitting for the grill and the male connector for the trailer side on the other end. I disconnected the regulator and the hose then connected the new extension hose and plug it into the quick connector on the trailer. Works great.

Fairview Fittings And Manufacturing

good luck

Patrick
Very true. I finally looked at the exiting coupler that came with mine and it had p-250 ( if I remember correctly) written on it. That trailed a google search of a "low pressure 1/4" quick connect". Ordered one and it worked. I am going camping this weekend and can verify the code if anyone needs it

Tags
bbq