Old 03-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #1

Power issues

Ok I have a 2018 Wildcat made by Forest River. It has been one thing after another going wrong with this rig. Part of the reason I bought new is to try and avoid the repairs. Anyway, I have an issue with the electric. All 12V systems working great. 110V not so much. Seems like I am not getting enough juice to the rig to power everything. This is a new issue. I am in it full time and it hasnít moved since initial set up. This is whatís puzzling me. I cannot use anything that draws a lot of current without tripping the GFI. And while making dinner the other day I believe my microwave fried. Nothing will light up on it at all now. Anyone know how to test the power at the post? I am 50 amp Service with a 50 amp rig. I figure I would start there then make my way into the rig. Any other information would be appreciated also. Canít call the service people because they are shut down due to the virus pandemic that is burdening us all.

skicielinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #2

microwave is not on the same line if it is that's a problem by itself. It should have it's own power feed. But the GFI my be your problem. First shut off main power feed pull it out check to see iff all the wires are tight maybe be loose and arching could do it or bad plug.

cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #3
Head Rambler

Your symptoms sound like a loose or disconnected neutral.
Do you have a multimeter, or know know someone who does and knows how to use it?

Check voltage on both hot legs and from each hot to neutral and to ground.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Get yourself a meter somehow......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B37EDEAD-E786-4873-ACD6-A4B46FD97ABB.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	225696  

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
far north Alabama

you may simply have a loose wire somewhere, which works 'most of the time', until a sudden rush of heat caused by a high-amperage device - such as the microwave...

it can exists at the power pedestal itself, the shore cord, your ATS(auto transfer switch)box, or your Main Breaker panel... many new coaches experience these issues from the factory - the workers 'tighten' the wires initially, but when in 'real world' use, they can move slightly and cause issues until tightened again.

To really 'check' the status of voltage at any source, such as the shore power pedestal's main breaker/outlet, get a simple 'volt meter' at the big box store, in the automotive or hardware area, or an auto parts store. Turn it to 200a(for voltage up to this amount) for AC, turn on the unit, then put one lead into one of the HOT legs, usually on either 'side' of the 50amp outlet, and the other in the NEUTRAL leg, usually the bottom.
This should give you something like 120volts - or around that number since it varies.
You then do this again but only move the left HOT leg to the other side's HOT leg of the outlet, which should ALSO give you a similar number.
If both of those are giving around 120volts - which is 240volts for your RV, then it is working properly.

You can check your other parts the same way. You'll find that 240v power is what is coming into your shore cord, into your ATS, and then into your Main Panel, where it is then normally 'split' between two 'sides' of breakers, each sharing some of the 120v power on each side, up to 100amps, total.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada - Hiawassee,GA (and '14 Gulfstream Amerlite and '07 ForestRIver Rockwood) : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #6

Thank you I will try this out
skicielinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #7
far north Alabama

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada - Hiawassee,GA (and '14 Gulfstream Amerlite and '07 ForestRIver Rockwood) : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power