Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
FLY4FUN

Power Tongue Jack -- Best (Most Practical) Replacement?

The "FIC 3500" power tongue jack on my Apex just made its last lift today. It's lasted almost 6 years, but seized so tightly that the crank and even a socket w/breaking bar wouldn't break it free(!). I've done some searching (really!) but just don't find the discussion or advice I need. What I am finding is that there are a LOT of power tongue jacks available..a LOT! I'm confident that the "FIC 3500" that came on my '14 Apex is among the cheapest. I'm not finding an exact replacement...so far, but wonder if others similar & in the same price range ($130 -/+) may be as good, or better? Does anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight unit, for example? HF does make it easy to purchase. Too, I see several on eTrailer.com that have very good reviews...Amazon, too, of course. In the final "analysis", is it just a matter of picking one that's a bolt-in fit and hoping that it'll last for a while? Thanks!
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:33 PM   #2

Husky 5000 lbs power tongue jack...Emailer or Amazon. Got one for our last trailer to replace the manual jack. About $150. Worked perfectly.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMcBees View Post
Husky 5000 lbs power tongue jack...Emailer or Amazon. Got one for our last trailer to replace the manual jack. About $150. Worked perfectly.
Thanks! I'll take a look.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:48 PM   #4

So the original jack on my camper had a catestrophic failure (thread here: forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/whats-the-best-electric-tongue-jack-184807.html) and looked around for a new jack. I ended up going with what some said was overkill. But I have been SUPER happy with it. It also includes a remote control keyfob. I thought this was a pretty silly feature I would never use. Wrong. It makes loading the trailer SUPER easy. I use the rear view camera to get the hitch RIGHT where I want it and then I can use the remote to lower the hitch onto the ball without having to put it in park (waiting for the truck to roll a few inches) and walk to the back. I use the remote to lower it just until it catches on the ball and then give it a slight tug forward so the ball will latch. This thing raises the camper and truck weight when installing the WDH bars with no problem. Many pointed out in other threads that water is the real killer of these jacks. I hav ebeen pretty diligent about using a cover or bucket to keep my electric jack protected from the elements since I bought it.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:09 PM   #5
FLY4FUN

Thanks! ...heading for the thread
Old 08-28-2020, 11:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
Thanks! ...heading for the thread
Whoops! Forgot to add the link to the one I actually bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #7

Husky 4500
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #8

I have been using a Harbor Freight jack on my Rockwood 2104S for a couple of years with no problems
hwfahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #9

Don't buy a Husky!

The first year it was great it lifted my trailer and my truck to install the WDH with no issues. When I went to get it out of storage the next year I operated the switch and nothing. I kept playing with the switch and it finally worked. Took my trailer to the dealer to have some work done and had to drop the trailer in the lot and they would pull it in with their tractor. Well I dropped it and when they went to move it the jack stopped working again. They checked it out and said the motor was bad. Since it comes with a one year warranty and I had no way to lower it, I had to buy one at the dealers and with installation cost me over $400. I would not buy a Husky again.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
FLY4FUN

Thumbs up

THANKS to all for tongue jack advice and experienced-sharing!! Great and very useable info....and, it sure has helped me in reducing the amount of "research". While I really wanted to stay at the lower cost end ($125 +/-), it seemed to come down to either the Husky 4500 (or, 5000) or the Barker Hi-Power...and, of course, a bit more $$$$. I'm "giving up" the remote feature of the Husky by opting for the Barker...but, "gaining" a "made in USA" unit with the Barker. Both seem to be of similar design and quality. Time and use will tell. I'm blown away at the sheer number of power trailer jacks that are out there -- so many "options" that tend to make choosing "best" challenging. Again, thanks for the experience-sharing -- what a wonderful resource "we" have in the great people who contribute to this website!!

Tags
power, replacement