Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
bmg

Question Pressure Washers

We arrived after dark on a trip to the beach and was surprised the next morning by how many bugs had given their all on the face of our TT. I want to get a small electric pressure washer that we can carry with us for general cleaning for the TT and around the house. Wally has a small Karcher unit for about $100 for the base unit, but it looks like there's a bunch of attachments that need to be purchased separately.

Has anyone had one of the Karchers? Also what other models would you recommend? What minimum PSI would you recommend for cleaning?
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

I have the electric Karcher 1500 psi unit. It came with two wands, one for lighter cleaning and one for hard materials such as concrete. It works well on the trailer and is not so powerful as to damage it. It also is good for cleaning the roof. Not too powerful but does a great job getting the grime off of it.

I went to the Karcher website and bought and set of extensions and an additional hose for other cleaning around the house. The hose extension allows me to go a lot further without having to move the washer itself. It does very well on my deck and concrete sidewalk too. I got it at Walmart for around $100 or so.

My only complaint with it is that the little "O" rings can split rather frequently and they don't appear to be a common size available at hardware stores. At least I didn't find any locally. I ended up ordering those from the website also to have them handy.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
bmg

I found this on Amazon. Has a lot of attachments and sells for about $165 including shipping. The extra hose is a good idea.

Amazon.com: Karcher K 2.38 CCK 1600 psi 1.25 gpm Electric Pressure Washer with Car Care Kit and 20-Foot Hose: Home Improvement
Old 09-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #4

Check out this one for $139.99.

Karcher is a great product. I bought a gas powered 9 years ago. No problens. It's got a 13hp Honda engine, 3600 PSI capability, 4 GPM.

I usually wash vehicles at 120 psi.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Just a word of caution. Be careful with a pressure washer it'll rip a decal or stripe off in a heart beat!

Your best bet for getting bugs off Bounce dryer sheets. I find that the unused ones work better for me but others say it doesn't matter if they're used.

Keeping the unit waxed make them easier to remove but doesn't prevent you from getting them.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #6

Now if Only there was a way to prevent the Bugs from spaltering on our Rigs, until then I agree, wax and wash, I prefer hand wash over pressurewashers

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Bama Rambler.....I cringe when pressure washer and travel trailer are used in the same sentence. A pressure washer can remove decals and caulk in a heartbeat.

Get a long handled brush, add water and car wash soap, and the worst of the bugs will come off until you can get home and do a more thorough job.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #8

The electric Karchers don't put out that much pressure. I've been cleaning my Flagstaff since we got it with mine without any problems. Just don't use the wand designed for concrete surfaces. That one will take the decals off. the other one works great on it.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
The electric Karchers don't put out that much pressure. I've been cleaning my Flagstaff since we got it with mine without any problems. Just don't use the wand designed for concrete surfaces. That one will take the decals off. the other one works great on it.
Hokie, what PSI do you use for the RV? Also Karcher has a right angle attachment that should help clean the black tank and sensors.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #10

For the trailer I use the wand recommended for vehicles. There is only an on/off switch on the washer so it is all or none. The wand end can be turned to lower the pressure if needed and to use when drawing cleaning solution out of a bottle to spray on a vehicle. When rinsing I have it on full force but it isn't as powerful as a commercial car wash would be.

I might look into the right angle attachment for the tanks. Right now I have a wand that attaches on the end of a garden hose that you stick down through the toilet. It works ok. I have dumping facilities at home so I clean the tanks there real good after a trip.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Check out this one for $139.99.

Karcher is a great product. I bought a gas powered 9 years ago. No problens. It's got a 13hp Honda engine, 3600 PSI capability, 4 GPM.

I usually wash vehicles at 120 psi.
I stopped by Wal Mart and they had the same unit for $129.99. They also had a good selection of attachments.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
For the trailer I use the wand recommended for vehicles. There is only an on/off switch on the washer so it is all or none. The wand end can be turned to lower the pressure if needed and to use when drawing cleaning solution out of a bottle to spray on a vehicle. When rinsing I have it on full force but it isn't as powerful as a commercial car wash would be.

I might look into the right angle attachment for the tanks. Right now I have a wand that attaches on the end of a garden hose that you stick down through the toilet. It works ok. I have dumping facilities at home so I clean the tanks there real good after a trip.
Is there a pressure gauge on the unit and a pressure regulator adjustment like there is on a air compressor?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
Is there a pressure gauge on the unit and a pressure regulator adjustment like there is on a air compressor?
Nope. Nothing at all. It is all or none, but it is a $100 unit so that doesn't surprise me.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Don't have a Karcher (sp?) but the reduced pressure is probably an advantage for this use. My neighbor took the paint right off his Silverado with his pressure washer!! Caution is advised.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #15

i read the section in my manuel that said don't pressure wash and didn't for years. (really didn't know why not).
one day i was in a hurry and put a relative wide nozzle on the pressure washer and washed. i have a few nicks on my decals now. the trailer was 6 years old at the time (i had purchaced it new). sense mine is exposed to the sun constaintly, i believe that and its age were contributing factors. i was using the 3 rd tip down and stayed at least a foot away. this normally doesn't produce enough pressure at point of contact to do a good job of removing dirt. the number 1 nozzle and 4 to 6 inches from the surface, i use to strip the paint off my house (2600# nozzle pressure), the wider the angle, the less the pressure at point of contact.

because i haven't had a good experience with the pressure washer, i don't recomend it. i'll stick with the brush and water. i really have better results with the brush anyway.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote