Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Prodigy Brake Controller

Noticed the other day that there are quite a few of you that have the Prodify brake controller. I just had one installed and will be heading out tomorrow. I have intially set the controller to 4 and the booster to 2. Am pulling a 2006 Sandpiper and probably weigh around 11,000 loaded to go. Truck is a 2006 F-250 SD diesel. Any suggestions on setting for the Prodigy?
Trobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Each pairing is different. According to the instructions you warm up the brakes then set the controller to 6 and drive about 25 to 30 mph ans apply the manual lever. Raise the setting until the tires slide then back off a bit.

In real world experience, I've found that once you've done the initial setup you'll be able to feel when it's right for you. Mine is set at 10 for the RV I have.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #3

Bama is spot on...mine is at 6.

If trailer is 'heavy' due to special trip (extra water or something), I re-create the initial set-up and adjust as needed. Not a big deal at all. However, do NOT let your buddy tell you where to set yours simply based solely on his set-up.

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:30 PM   #4

I could never get my brakes to "lock up" on my trailer when I was adjusting the prodigy. I ended up setting the controller by feel. I would accelerate and hit the brakes then adjust the controller so I could not feel the trailer pulling or pushing my truck. It took about 5-6 times before I got the correct setting.
flyingsquirl001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, brakes