Old 02-01-2020, 04:10 AM   #1

Propane Furnace keeps blowing fuses

Hello,

I recently bought a 2020 Forest River Saber 32DPT. The 10 amp (blue) fuse pops all the time. As soon as I attempt to replace it it just pops. Yes, I know perfectly well its under warranty, however, I am unable to take it to a repair shop anytime in the near future.

I have contacted the place where I purchased the unit and they are saying its possible that when the furnace was installed wires where put under the furnace housing and have shorted out. I have gotten into the crawl space and it appears that the spaghetti of wires under there that none of the wires are under the hosing. There are 4 of them going to the heater as I can tell. I took the 12 volt dc panel loose and there is a white pink wire coming off the back of it. I tried to trace it down into the mechanical bay but there are white pink wires everywhere! Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? A wiring diagram maybe help full as well.

Also, although it maybe unrelated, there is a switch on the camp side pass through storage that doesn't appear to go to anything, but has a white pink wire going to it. This switch doesn't light up blue (even when off) like the rest of the switches do throughout the unit.

It really didn't help I was trying to trouble shoot the system while sick. I plan on getting out my volt meter and see what the system is pulling, but still if is popping the 10 am fuse, its not safe to operate.

Thanks!

lonesomewolf8994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #2

that 10 amp fuse is used by more than just the Furnace. My 5er it was used for the Control circuit for the Furnace, refrigerator, range hood and water heater.

cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

I have read and investigated that as well. Everything else works in the unit. It has a residential refrigerator. The hot water heater works as expected as well.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

That is not an overloaded circuit problem. There is a direct short in a wire somewhere to your furnace
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #5

Would it be easier to pull the furnace out of the unit to troubleshoot? I'm not small enough to fit inside the equipment bay to trace wires.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesomewolf8994 View Post
Would it be easier to pull the furnace out of the unit to troubleshoot? I'm not small enough to fit inside the equipment bay to trace wires.
If you look closely you should be able to find the wires going into the furnace. cut/disconnect them and see of the short goes away. That might save you from unnecessarily removing the furnace. The furnace will have two screws in front behind the front cover holding it to the floor. Remove them, and the gas line and any duck work you see installed to the sides. Gas line will need a plug to allow other stuff to work while you work on the furnace. Or just turn the gas off.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #7

A little easier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If you look closely you should be able to find the wires going into the furnace. cut/disconnect them and see of the short goes away. That might save you from unnecessarily removing the furnace. The furnace will have two screws in front behind the front cover holding it to the floor. Remove them, and the gas line and any duck work you see installed to the sides. Gas line will need a plug to allow other stuff to work while you work on the furnace. Or just turn the gas off.
It's just a little easier than Cavie's directions above. You don't need to touch the duct work.
  • Remove the grille (4 screws)
  • Remove the plenum cover (2 screws)
  • If there is a plug on the four wires, unplug it. If not, label each wire twice with a number, then cut between the two labels.
  • If the fuse still blows, one or more wires are shorting, either 12v pinched to the frame or 12v and ground pinched to each other. See below for procedure.
  • If the fuse doesn't blow, remove the furnace as follows:
  • Turn off the gas.
  • Turn off the gas.
  • Disconnect the gas, usually at the flare nut.
  • Remove the anchor screw at the bottom center of the plenum opening.
  • Pull the furnace out, leaving the plenum and all of the ducts in place.
  • When you have the furnace on the bench, you should see zero ohms between the 12v and ground wires. One at a time, disconnect the blower motor and the gas solenoid and see if it changes. If not, the control board must be bad.
Here is a procedure that may help to isolate a pinched wire:
  • Get an 1141 incandescent bulb and socket with two leads attached
  • Crimp spade connectors to the two leads. They should be the same size as the fuse pins.
  • Plug the lamp into the fuse socket. The lamp draws 1.8 amps. Even with a dead short, the current will never exceed a safe 1.8 amps. Now, while someone else watches the lamp, you pull or wiggle the wires. When they holler that the lamp has gone out or flickered or dimmed, you are near the short.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:51 AM   #8

Something else you might check? Does the fan turn freely. If something was sucked into it, It might be stuck and that would cause the fuse to blow as well. If it is stuck, hopefully the fuse blows before the motor would burn up?
Old 02-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #9

Quality control

It would be nice if Forest River would take their customers into consideration and have a quality control check on things before they go out. Or the people working on the units themselves would quality check their own work. IT IS A PAIN IN THE NECK PLUS A LOT OF DOWN TIME WHEN TAKING A UNIT INTO THE REPAIR SHOP. A person should not have to take a new unit to a repair shop the first year of purchase.
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGO Bill View Post
It would be nice if Forest River would take their customers into consideration and have a quality control check on things before they go out. Or the people working on the units themselves would quality check their own work. IT IS A PAIN IN THE NECK PLUS A LOT OF DOWN TIME WHEN TAKING A UNIT INTO THE REPAIR SHOP. A person should not have to take a new unit to a repair shop the first year of purchase.
Not to mention the cost of fuel unless your Dealer/Repair Shop is within a mile or two.

How many times have we read here how the "Dealer" is 100 or more miles away?

Even the Dealership where I purchased my TT is a good "7 gallons of fuel" away when figuring the round trip times two.

I'd rather diagnose and repair myself, especially when just correcting a wiring/installation issue.

FWIW, my furnace has a 15 amp fuse on the circuit feeding it. Perhaps the fuse is too small ?????

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Not to mention the cost of fuel unless your Dealer/Repair Shop is within a mile or two.

How many times have we read here how the "Dealer" is 100 or more miles away?

Even the Dealership where I purchased my TT is a good "7 gallons of fuel" away when figuring the round trip times two.

I'd rather diagnose and repair myself, especially when just correcting a wiring/installation issue.

FWIW, my furnace has a 15 amp fuse on the circuit feeding it. Perhaps the fuse is too small ?????
Never replace a fuse with a larger one unless you understand wire ga and fuse sizes. The fuse is sized to protect the wire not the appliance.

Tags
furnace, fuse, propane