Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2024, 05:23 PM   #1

Question about warranty service

Hello! I’m sorry if this is the wrong place, but I can’t get a hold of anybody at the dealership or Forest River via the Owner Dashboard. I just bought a new Apex travel trailer two weeks ago, and I just came home after work to find the AC has gone out! It’s over 100į inside!

What is the normal protocol for dealing with something like this?

Edit: I can smell burning electric and plastic, and this box behind the filter has melted and deformed! It’s a Furrion Chill 15k btu AC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5410.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	301235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5586.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	301236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5587.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	301237  
Galavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:36 PM   #2

The only warranty work I had done I had done by directly contacting my dealer. I don't have experience on weekends or after hours and really am not sure there is an immediate place at forest river to contact. I would recommend turning the system and AC breakers off if you have not yet done so. The melty plastic could quickly become a fire. It is possible there was not enough power to the unit and the wires melted. Are you using a long extension cord? What kind of electric service are you plugged into? Do you have a mobile RV service near?
Old 06-22-2024, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
The only warranty work I had done I had done by directly contacting my dealer. I don't have experience on weekends or after hours and really am not sure there is an immediate place at forest river to contact. I would recommend turning the system and AC breakers off if you have not yet done so. The melty plastic could quickly become a fire. It is possible there was not enough power to the unit and the wires melted. Are you using a long extension cord? What kind of electric service are you plugged into? Do you have a mobile RV service near?
Thanks,
I sent an email to my dealer and the 2 contacts in the owner dashboard. I have turned the breakers off to the melted unit. Thank god it didn’t start a fire! I am in a new park, on good clean shore power in excellent condition with my surge protector/analyzer saying it is 124 volts and wired properly, connected directly to the factory cable. I’m investigating RV service in the area.
Old 06-22-2024, 07:48 PM   #4

Typically you contact the dealer. He has you bring the unit there for inspection. Then he obtains permission from the factory to do the work. At that point parts are ordered and the dealer will schedule an appointment to return the unit to him for repair. Typically 2-6 months. Sometimes the factory will authorize a mobile tech to come to you.

However, it is the factory you have a contract/warranty with. It was so stated in the document you signed likely. The dealer has no responsibility.

If you call a mobile tech you are on your own.

I would be out there trying to figure out what is wrong.

Anything costing less than $3-400 we would do ourselves. Warranty stuff is a hassle at best.

Know anyone who is handy?
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Typically you contact the dealer. He has you bring the unit there for inspection. Then he obtains permission from the factory to do the work. At that point parts are ordered and the dealer will schedule an appointment to return the unit to him for repair. Typically 2-6 months. Sometimes the factory will authorize a mobile tech to come to you.

However, it is the factory you have a contract/warranty with. It was so stated in the document you signed likely. The dealer has no responsibility.

If you call a mobile tech you are on your own.

I would be out there trying to figure out what is wrong.

Anything costing less than $3-400 we would do ourselves. Warranty stuff is a hassle at best.

Know anyone who is handy?
I got a text back from the dealer implying itís an issue with the shore power and basically saying itís my problem and I can try doing a claim through Furrion or Forrest River.
Iím going to take screenshots of his text, and send them certified mail to Forest River I guess since this is a potential fire risk. Iíll give them some time to respond and then contact a Texas lemon law attorney I guess.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:05 PM   #6

Easy does it.

Mention lawyers and they get nasty. What you see is about normal.

All lawsuits have to be filed in the state the trailer was made in I believe.

Local Lemon laws will not help. I think you signed that right away.

I am not a lawyer.

Figure out what is wrong.

Where did you plug the rv in? A dryer outlet or normal 120 outlet?

Need information.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Easy does it.

Mention lawyers and they get nasty. What you see is about normal.

All lawsuits have to be filed in the state the trailer was made in I believe.

Local Lemon laws will not help. I think you signed that right away.

I am not a lawyer.

Figure out what is wrong.

Where did you plug the rv in? A dryer outlet or normal 120 outlet?

Need information.
I havenít mentioned anything to them about it, but Texas has stringent lemon laws on travel trailers.

Itís connected to proper 50 amp shore power in a relatively new RV Park. I am using a surge protector with a circuit analyzer, and the voltage and wiring is all correct. No extension cords or anything like that, just the factory cable plugged into the proper power.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:16 PM   #8

Looks like a faulty factory connection coming off this relay(?) inside this Furrion box
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5596.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	301240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5595.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	301241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5594.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	301242  
Old 06-22-2024, 08:28 PM   #9

Tomorrow is Sunday so likely nothing will happen with FR.

$400 would possibly get it fixed tomorrow with a tech.

Parts might be an issue!

Texas is awful this time of year with no ac. We were in a power failure there a few weeks ago. Fortunately it was a lightning strike during a thunderstorm. Temp dropped 25 degrees in an hour.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galavant View Post
Hello! Iím sorry if this is the wrong place, but I canít get a hold of anybody at the dealership or Forest River via the Owner Dashboard. I just bought a new Apex travel trailer two weeks ago, and I just came home after work to find the AC has gone out! Itís over 100į inside!

What is the normal protocol for dealing with something like this?

Edit: I can smell burning electric and plastic, and this box behind the filter has melted and deformed! Itís a Furrion Chill 15k btu AC.
If you're in an rv park and unable to get to the dealer....
Email or call Forest River and see if they'll authorize a mobile mechanic. Usually they are able to recommend a mobile tech in the area.
Email or call Furion.

Usually you take your rig back to the dealer that sold you the rig for warranty service. What you got in the email was not correct. They can't diagnose electrical or air conditioner malfunction like that over email.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:51 PM   #11

https://youtu.be/6Exxv_FP2B4?si=VNlly1me7MBJdOGZ
Old 06-22-2024, 09:25 PM   #12

Use your phone or go to the dealer and talk to a human. Another option is to call a mobile tech. Many can get pre-authorization from the manufacturer to get a repair covered under warranty. I have done this many times, as I refuse to use a dealer for any service.

If you insist on using non-direct methods of communication, I'm afraid they will continue to blow you off.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Use your phone or go to the dealer and talk to a human. Another option is to call a mobile tech. Many can get pre-authorization from the manufacturer to get a repair covered under warranty. I have done this many times, as I refuse to use a dealer for any service.

If you insist on using non-direct methods of communication, I'm afraid they will continue to blow you off.

I’ve got 4 voicemails in right now, with follow up emails to both Forest River contacts….. not a lot of people jumping to answer their work phone at 5pm on a Saturday. I’m shocked I got a text back from the dealer tbh. And the dealer I purchased from is 5 hours away.
Old 06-22-2024, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galavant View Post
Iíve got 4 voicemails in right now, with follow up emails to both Forest River contactsÖ.. not a lot of people jumping to answer their work phone at 5pm on a Saturday. Iím shocked I got a text back from the dealer tbh. And the dealer I purchased from is 5 hours away.
Ah, the rest of the story Yep, not many folks respond to anything on Saturday after business hours.

When under warranty, I call mobile RV techs and specifically ask if they are willing/able to get a pre-authorization for warranty work. Many do. Of course, being the weekend throws a wrench in everything. Don't know if you are staying in the RV, but if you are, I would consider a hotel to get out of the heat. Might have better luck on Monday
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 09:44 AM   #15

I found a replacement part for $60. Hopefully Iíll have it by Wednesday. Iím not gonna spend the hottest weeks of the year without AC waiting on Furrion or Forest River to make good on this. I want to prove a point on principal, but these big companies already have my money and really donít care about us. Hopefully, I can at least get one of them to reimburse me for the cost of the part, or send me a new replacement that I can return to the vendor I bought this one from.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5601.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	301249  
Old 06-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #16

Dated a lawyer many years ago.

They love people with principals as long as they can afford to pay them!

We all understand your feelings.

Most of us buy rvís on cost only. Warranty be damn. Unless you have a BIG deal issue.

We inspect at the pdi. Like crazy. As you see you are kind of on your own.

During COVID the rv industry went mad. They increased production a ridiculous amount. Service after the sale, generally, not always, disappeared.

Life is good. You woke up this morning!
Old 06-23-2024, 10:53 AM   #17

Not sure what the pictures show other than melted wiring. This is usually caused by a loose connection. Why was it loose? Likely didn't get tightened down correctly during installation.

I would disconnect shore power to be safe, and start pulling things apart. See what is burnt and what connector damage occurred. I view it can be easily solved on-site by someone with good electrical knowledge and skills.

Although I consider it a serious situation, also I consider it a minor item to repair.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty, question, service