Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

Raining,leak at AC

Well the fourth night in our new Rockwood 8285, and it has rained off and on for three days. Had a leak at the wardrobe slide, but that seems to have corrected itself. Must have reseated the seal by opening and closing the slide.
Now I have water dripping from my AC. Not bad,but not good either. I'm hopeing the AC just needs to be tightened down a little to compress the seal. I hate to have to bring it to a dealer,as we are heading to the kids, but I remember reading here that someone had a similiar problem...and a warning...but I can't find that post. Any thoughts?

Really pleased with the RV. Fit and finish appears better then the past units we have owned that cost a heck of a lot more $$$ then this one did.
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #2

Congrats on the new camper and welcome to the forum. Yes- it sounds like it may be that the AC hold down bolts need to be snugged up. Remove the inside cove and you will see the 4 bolts, one in each corner. Snug them up and see if that helps.
Good luck.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Same problem with my unit

Bought new 2010 Flagstaff 8526 with the optional 15,000 BTU Coleman Mach III.

The guy who installed it did not know that the gasket had to be compressed evenly till the yellow tabs that fit inside the gasket opening touched the roof top.

He just screwed the unit down, and failed to notice that the tabs had folded under the gasket. This allowed a path to form over about a month of rain till water was leaking into the camper. (water on floor directly under the grill).

Removing, replacing the seal, and correctly installing the AC was covered under warranty.

NOTE: The "bastads" CAULKED the grill cove cover in place! This allowed the water to fill the grill before leaking. Also made removing it a PITA as the tech had to slice all around the unit with an exacto.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Overall pleased with the unit...but there is always something!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Knower of Some Things

There is also a tube that is supposed to lead to the outside of the a/c to allow the condensation to drain out of the unit. I've had it before where the drip tube didn't make it outside. Refrigerators will do that, too.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Mine too

As part of my dealer's "Arrival Inspection" the Fridge drain was tucked very nicely into the burner area instead of being routed outside.

Thanks to this forum I was able to correct that oversight before I got water damage inside the camper.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #7

Noticed a spot around the tv antenna on the roof that was not properly caulked. I put about 3" of caulk over the spot,gave it the hose test, had a couple of rainy days since, and it seems OK. Figure the rain was getting in through the antenna and running down the ceiling until it was able to drip through the AC. I'll keep an eye on it .