Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #1

Reattaching a Loose Trim Strip

Our Rockwood Mini Lite 1909-SG has an above the bed storage bin that runs the width of the trailer at the front. On our last trip out I noticed the trim strip on the inner wall where it curves to the roof slowly peeling away on the left side of the storage bin (Pic). There are two access doors (Pic) but it's a real stretch to get from the door to the left end of the strip. I think to would probably be simpler to remove the entire strip and then reinstall. Thoughts?

Thanks,

TBDub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AboveBedStorage.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	233116   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Forest-River-Rockwood-Mini-Lite-1909S-Front-Bed.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	233122  
TBDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #2

Same Problem

I have the same problem; I was debating whether to use adhesive along with some finish nails.
AlanMoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMoor View Post
I was debating whether to use adhesive along with some finish nails.
X2

I use some "Liquid Nails" and a few nails or staples. The ones I've done in our camper have never come loose again.

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:12 AM   #4

I would just use a length of double-sided tape instead of any sort of glue, just in case you need to pull that strip off one day.

Bruce
Old 07-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #5

Glue it with the best glue you can find, but have a 1/4 in plywood or some "stop sign" (thickness) material and press it firmly in place with 2x4's or other types of poles to hold it in place while drying.
Glue must be light enough (watery) to no cause bulges or air pockets. Watch a YouTube on wall paper hanging or similar before you begin. Remember: ONLY YOU WILL KNOW YOUR WORK'S FLAWS and if that bugs you take it slow.
Tahoe John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #6

I have a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic 18 gauge 2 in 1 nailer and stapler that I keep in the trailer for just trim pieces....a little wood glue and pin nail and you are good...with all the twisting and turning they come loose. I use the 1" pin nail, seem to hold good...
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #7

It may be better to take it out and glue the entire strip. It would be suggested to use masking tape on the cieling above and below the strip edges before removing. This will give you a guide line to reinstall. It will also stop accidental glue on the ceiling. Depending on what glue you use, you may also want to use tape to hold it in place while it dries.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #8

I had a small trim piece let go. I think there was one tiny staple. Removed totally and applied a 3M adhesive glue. I was able to wedge some cardboard to hold it in place till dry. See no problem using a wire nail here and there while the glue sets as was suggested.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #9

Trim

Use Weldwood w/ a small 1/4" brush. I use ones designed for fiberglass, stiff bristles. Also called gauss brushes. Put Blue painters tape around anywhere it would drip. Pull tape as soon as you stick pieces together. Follow instructions on the bottle. Put a few nails in after. I have redone several wall panels and they have stayed put for 10K of towing on my V-Lite. Have someone help you, once you put the pieces together, Done.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #10

Loose trim

Good Luck trying to remove the trim to put glue on it, it was installed before the cabinets.
Can Am Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
Don't Camp Enough

I have had similar issues on past and present campers. I have successfully used a hot glue gun on loose wood trim and wallpaper. I find it is controllable in application and forgiving.

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #12

Trim

I would just pul back an edge, put a spacer in to hold it out. Then put a thin coat of Weldwood on both sides, give it 5 minutes, pull spacers and push together. Probable better not to take trim off, easier to keep it lined up.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #13

Contact cement and brads

Plenty of good responses. I had a major trim piece over the slide out fall out, it was too long so it bowed in the middle and wouldn't stay put. I removed and shortened. Masking taped trailer side, contact cement on trailer and trim piece, 10 min to get tacky. Then, you get ONE SHOT to get it in the right place, two pairs of hands came in handy here. A couple brads from a pnuematic stapler to hold till curing, rock solid.

Depends on your skills, tools and helpers. Modern adhesives are pretty amazing, so seems many other solutions are good.
Steve W indy is offline   Reply With Quote