Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Red an Blue Hose under FEMA camper

Last week I bought a 2006 Forest River FEMA camper. Before hooking any water up to try it out I found that the anode rod had been removed and it was too rusty to put back so ordered a new one. Today the new one got here so I put it in and hooked a hose to the city water supply, when I turned on the water I could hear air coming through the faucets and just a little water but there was a full stream of water coming out of a blue hose under the camper there was allso a red hose beside the blue one. They both were about 1/2 inch with female fittings on them. Could someone tell me what these hoses are and what I need to do to get water to the inside faucets.
LeeRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #2

just a guess but i would say those are your low point drains there should be caps to put on them, dont overtighten then try your water again
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRanch View Post
Last week I bought a 2006 Forest River FEMA camper. Before hooking any water up to try it out I found that the anode rod had been removed and it was too rusty to put back so ordered a new one. Today the new one got here so I put it in and hooked a hose to the city water supply, when I turned on the water I could hear air coming through the faucets and just a little water but there was a full stream of water coming out of a blue hose under the camper there was allso a red hose beside the blue one. They both were about 1/2 inch with female fittings on them. Could someone tell me what these hoses are and what I need to do to get water to the inside faucets.
On prefab homes they use the red and blue hoses for hot and cold water connections. These FEMA trailers were probably made to the same code. Yours may be drains for both the cold lines (blue)and hot water (red). Cap them and see if that takes care of your problem.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #4

Thanks j2detroit I was thinking that same thing since the anode rod had allso been removed. I wanted someone else to give me there opinion before I bought plugs and tried that.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

thanks kvtaylor
Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #6

The drain hoses sometimes have valves on them on the inside of the trailer in addition to the caps on the outside.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #7

Just a wild guess, but being that this is a FEMA trailer could those hoses be for external water supplies? The fact that the hoses have female fitings and the anode was removed may point to an external water heater and water connections. Like I said, just a wild guess.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Infractee

It would seem that the trailer was winterized, the red and blue lines are your low point drains, most TT's, modular and regular homes are built nowadays using PEX water lines, it is much cheaper than copper and way more flexible.

If the low points are opened and the anode removed that will drain quite a bit of water from the camper and provide space for the water to expand to in case of freezing lines
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #9

I color coded my water lines when i first bought my camper. My co-works make fun of me because i do this a lot at work with parts like belts for our air handlers and other items.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I color coded my water lines when i first bought my camper. My co-works make fun of me because i do this a lot at work with parts like belts for our air handlers and other items.
Bet they wouldn't be making fun if you weren't there one day and they needed a particular belt for an Air Handler and had to choose from 50 belts to get the right one. Information never hurt anyone, unless it was a big book, fell on their head and gave them a concussion!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #11

Charlie, i am not inventory control person but someone has to do it. We use 75 different size belts in phase I and they have to be in some kind of order. Phase II is getting ready to open soon an additional 250,000 Sq Ft and there are 15 more air handlers but they are all direct drive units, but there are a bunch of exhaust fans to make up for it that are belt driven. I made up a color coded cart for the belt rack i built and i supplied a belt conversion chart. They make fun but they like it.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #12

I suggest you locate the drain valves and close them. They will be located inside the trailer near the point the red and blue hose exits the trailer. They may be very difficult to locate as ofter they are behind small wood walls where you can not see them. There may be more than 2 in the system. Also, make sure you close the outside shower faucets and replace the PUR water filter. They may be the push-pull type or the screw type.

Enjoy.

Jim & Eileen
Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3 ltr, prodigy controller.
2009 Rockwood 2604.

Running mates Max & Kate Chihuahua's

Hobie Kayaks on Thule rack on truck

Retired Army EOD
jdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #13

Thanks everyone I put two 1/2 inch nipples with cut off valves on the 2 hoses and all the water inside the camper works fine. P.S. I have more camper questions I'll be asking later.
Thanks
William

Tags
fema, water supply