Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2022, 08:30 AM   #1

Refrigerator not working

I am having an issue our refrigerator is not cooling. The light comes on but no cooling. Also the inverter I do not think is working. I never hear the fan turn on. Fuses appear to be good. What do I check next
John299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:42 AM   #2

you need to tell us what fridge you have
year make and model
Old 09-25-2022, 08:51 AM   #3

It is a 2020 furrion model fcr10dcdta
Old 09-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #4

Camper is a 2020 grey wolf
Old 09-25-2022, 09:05 AM   #5

Best guess with no information. Dead battery.

Do you have a battery monitor. Not the led thing.

What is the voltage of the battery at the terminal?

Inverters are battery hogs. Off is the best condition.

How many batteries do you have? What size? What type?
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:09 AM   #6

Thanks for the replys. I turned off the battery and just running on shore power still is not cooling. Time to take it to the shop
Old 09-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #7

just to confirm this is a 12 volt dc refrigerator?

if so, the inverter would have no relevance to operating the refrigerator.

if the light is on it appears it is getting 12 volt power.

if you have shore power i would still keep the batteries on-line to assist the converter and to get recharged.

have you checked the on / off / temperature control knob?
Old 09-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #8

Get your reservation in to get an appointment.

Hard at dealers. Independents are quicker.

Dealers are generally not licensed to service these fridges. Replacement is the only option.

Rv’s as you are becoming aware of, are complicated devices. Usually you will get fixed quicker getting information here.

In about 1 minute you could narrow the problem a lot with a voltmeter.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:29 PM   #9

Considering the nature of the problem are you having any other issues with your 12vdc system? Are you able to run the slides/power jacks when the unit is unplugged from shoar power? do you have any issues with lights? These would be indications of battery issues.. Also, are the batteries staying charged up? if not it could be your charger. The system should output around 13.5VDC some systems run a high charge at 14vdc. I would verify these first you may find that the problem is in the charger, not your fridge. If all these things are good I would look at the wiring from the DC panel to the fridge and see if there are any breaks or loose connections. Loose connections will often be the culprit of intermittent problems.

With respect to the inverter, It should only have a fan running when you are drawing current through it and the unit needs cooling. If the fan runs all the time it often means that the unit is failing or its a cheaper unit that has no thermal coupler attached to the fan. Many older inverters would have a fan that just ran all the time. This is not as common these days as a fan running all the time just adds to the load of the inverter. Inverters should stay off if your not using them as they will drain your battery very quickly.
Chief V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:15 PM   #10

Thanks it could be the battery it was only reading 11 volts. I will get a new one tomorrow. Thanks for all of the replies
Old 09-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #11

I cringe when I see comments about going out and replacing batteries. Too often there is another post a couple of weeks later about the new batteries also failing. Why are the batteries low? Are they getting properly recharged? If not what will happen to the new batteries?

Just my two cents!
Old 09-26-2022, 03:21 PM   #12

A 12vdc battery is essentially completely depleted once the voltage drops below 12vdc so if your seeing 11vdc you definitely need to replace that battery (Assuming it had a sufficient amount of time to charge). If you disconnect the battery you should be able to use a jump box and plug in the RV to shore power and the fridge should start working. But i would take the old battery out of the equation to verify that is the problem. Your charger should be able to run the fridge with no issues with a fresh battery.. However, if the battery is depleted and you are trying to run the fridge at the same time the battery will take priority and the fridge may see low voltage.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #13

Chickdoe brings up a good point. It's worth exploring why you have the condition you have... It could just be old batteries that need to be replaced but there could be other reasons as well. Checking the charging voltage as well as doing a power audit could really enlighten you to possible future problems. Also, new batteries won't fix a worn-out charger. One other thing to note is that you should not leave an inverter turned on when not in use, it will deplete your batteries over time and will end up ruining them if not checked on even if you don't have anything plugged into the inverter..
Old 09-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #14

Just replaced the battery and no change. We are on the road so will have someone look at it when we get back
Old 09-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by John299 View Post
I am having an issue our refrigerator is not cooling. The light comes on but no cooling. Also the inverter I do not think is working. I never hear the fan turn on. Fuses appear to be good. What do I check next
Quote:
Thanks for the replys. I turned off the battery and just running on shore power still is not cooling. Time to take it to the shop
Quote:
Thanks it could be the battery it was only reading 11 volts. I will get a new one tomorrow. Thanks for all of the replies
Quote:
Just replaced the battery and no change. We are on the road so will have someone look at it when we get back
John,

It seems you are misunderstanding some things.

1st... are you confusing INverter with CONverter?
You said you never hear the fan run. That is often mentioned when describing the CONverter.

A CONverter changes 120v AC to 12v DC to run the 12v stuff in your R/V. They also charge the battery.(ies)

An INverter takes 12v DC and inverts it to 120V AC to run things like a residential refrigerator that only operates off 120v AC

Your model refrigerator, Furrion fcr10dcdta is a 12v compressor type refrigerator and needs 12v DC to operate so an INverter wouldn't come into play here as 120v AC isn't needed for a 12v refrigerator so turning off the shore power wouldn't have stopped the refrigerator if the battery and the CONverter are doing their jobs.

Since you replaced the battery we can assume you now have the proper 12v DC to your systems but it is possible the CONverter that supplements the battery and recharges it, isn't working. If you own a multimeter and know how to use it, you could make some basic tests but if you are not able to do so, then you need to have someone look at it for you.

A dealer is often hard to get a service appointment with but you can try a mobile technician. Just be willing to pay the charges and get reimbursed from Forest River with PRIOR approval first.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=95
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:30 AM   #16

Thanks you are correct it is a converter. I have a meter at home and will check it then

Tags
refrigerator