Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Refrigerator only working when plugged into electric.

Does anyone have an idea of what to check?
My fridge only works if on electric mode. If I put on gas only the check light will come on.
Of course the gas is open.
andrea66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Do you hear any clicking (attempting to light) when on gas?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea66 View Post
My fridge only works if on electric mode. If I put on gas only the check light will come on.
Since it is spring, did you bleed the gas line by lighting the stove first? Often there is air in the line and it takes a while before the reefer gets any propane. Lighting the stove clears most of the air out. The check light is saying that it tried to light but didn't after a couple of tries.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Since it is spring, did you bleed the gas line by lighting the stove first? Often there is air in the line and it takes a while before the reefer gets any propane. Lighting the stove clears most of the air out. The check light is saying that it tried to light but didn't after a couple of tries.
X2
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
X2
I agree, sounds like air in the propane line. Light your stove and let it run for 5 minutes or so to get all the air out. If that doesn't work light your hot water heater. That should be the end of the line.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

Refrigerator only works on electric

yup, had the same problem with ours.....the fix was blowing out the fuel orifice. All it takes is a very fine insect nest to clog the nozzle
Just the 2 of us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

Fridge & gas

Read instruction I over looked where it talked about a small off on screw for gas line
Louisiana Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Glad you found it and thanks for reporting back.

EDIT: Oops... thought that was the OP reporting back.
Sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
I had this problem with the trailer I had previous to this one and found all kinds of shavings in the line that blocked the orifice. Had to take it all apart and blow it out with air. Never failed again.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #10

Could Also be Your Igniter

We had that problem. We would hear the clicking but still no chilling. Found out that the igniter was bad and had to be replaced.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Do you hear any clicking (attempting to light) when on gas?
Didn't pay attention, just noticed that while driving it started to get hot
Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I will try that never thought about it.
Thank you
Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #13

How can I tell if the fridge is running on electric or gas? The only indicator that lights is the auto light. It would be nice if the auto light would also indicate which source it is using? When I am plugged in to power I am assuming it is running on electric, but is there a way I can be sure?
Td12327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Are your batteries fully charged? All fridges use 12 volts DC for their control circuit. Even though you have switched to propane you need the 12 VDC. I believe even when on 110VAC you need the 12 VDC for control.

I may be wrong but doesn't the fridge still use propane even when on 110 VAC?

Fridges can be confusing. Doesn't the fridge run on propane no matter which power source you are using? You need the igniter to light the burner which is gas, correct? If you lose your 110VAC you are now running on your batteries. This supplies your 12 VDC to light your igniter and this supplies power to your control circuit. In either case you need gas to light the burner.

When on 110VAC you are suppling the 12 VDC through the converter, not directly from your batteries. No matter what you need propane and 12 VDC for the fridge to operate.

Sense the OP fridge is only operating when hooked to shore power I would guess his batteries are low, not supplying enough power for his igniter to light his burner. When on shore power his converter is supplying enough 12 VDC for the igniter to work. When he switches to gas the fridge is trying to operate from the batteries and if the batteries are low it will not operate. Did I miss something? Maybe Dometic should change that light to read battery/shore power? Because in either case the fridge needs propane. Then again I could be wrong about the way the fridge operates.

Jim
Old 05-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #15

I have a Norcold (?) refrigerator and only has an auto setting. When hooked to electric the light on the refrigerator is green. When it is disconnected from electric and running on propane the light turns yellow (or amber). If the light is red it means it is not using either and something is wrong. If there is no light the refrigerator is turned off.

Just my $.02

Duane & Jan
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
2011 Toyota Tundra iForce 5.7 Limited Double Cab 6 speed automatic 4.10 gears
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Are your batteries fully charged? All fridges use 12 volts DC for their control circuit. Even though you have switched to propane you need the 12 VDC. I believe even when on 110VAC you need the 12 VDC for control.

I may be wrong but doesn't the fridge still use propane even when on 110 VAC?

Fridges can be confusing. Doesn't the fridge run on propane no matter which power source you are using? You need the igniter to light the burner which is gas, correct? If you lose your 110VAC you are now running on your batteries. This supplies your 12 VDC to light your igniter and this supplies power to your control circuit. In either case you need gas to light the burner.

When on 110VAC you are suppling the 12 VDC through the converter, not directly from your batteries. No matter what you need propane and 12 VDC for the fridge to operate.

Sense the OP fridge is only operating when hooked to shore power I would guess his batteries are low, not supplying enough power for his igniter to light his burner. When on shore power his converter is supplying enough 12 VDC for the igniter to work. When he switches to gas the fridge is trying to operate from the batteries and if the batteries are low it will not operate. Did I miss something? Maybe Dometic should change that light to read battery/shore power? Because in either case the fridge needs propane. Then again I could be wrong about the way the fridge operates.

Jim
Depends on the refrigerator.
Some refrigerators will work solely on 110v
They have a 110v heating element that heats the ammonia rather than using propane to heat it.

Most refrigerators that run off propane DO need 12v for the control board.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #17

Norcold has the right idea. The colored lights is a great way of diagnosing the power.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Depends on the refrigerator.
Some refrigerators will work solely on 110v
They have a 110v heating element that heats the ammonia rather than using propane to heat it.

Most refrigerators that run off propane DO need 12v for the control board.
True generally referred to as a three way fridge. I wasn't aware that Dometic made any. I was reading too much into the problem. Then again, the OP didn't state any manufacture did he?

I still lead towards a low battery voltage being the problem.

Jim
Old 05-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
I have a Norcold (?) refrigerator and only has an auto setting. When hooked to electric the light on the refrigerator is green. When it is disconnected from electric and running on propane the light turns yellow (or amber). If the light is red it means it is not using either and something is wrong. If there is no light the refrigerator is turned off.

Just my $.02
Duane & Jan
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
2011 Toyota Tundra iForce 5.7 Limited Double Cab 6 speed automatic 4.10 gears

I wish they were all that way. Mine only has a amber light.

I watch the freezer temp the old fashioned way. Place a penny on top of an ice cube.

Jim
Old 05-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #20

You are right about it being confusing. Your info about the propane being used either way is interesting. It would at least explain why I hear the back of the fridge cycling occasional with what sounds like gas? But I also noticed that the amp meter within my surge protector is only showing 1 amp usage when only the refrigerator is on? Would that reinforce my concern? In talking to dometic, they said the refrigerator should be drawing about 3-4 amps. My batteries are fully charged. I tried to check the fuses located under the panel in back of the fridge but the cover is very difficult to release. I am afraid I will break something if I force the cover off.

Tags
electric, refrigerator