Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #1

Replacement Floor Register

I have a 2008 Forest River Sandpiper and one of the floor registers is broken. I have seen 4x8, 4x10 & 4x12 sizes which I believe are the dimensions of the opening in which it fits. I purchased a 4x8 and it fits the opening just fine but the distance between the screw holes is greater than the original one. Has anyone found a register that fits these 5th wheelers?

2007.5 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4WD, Dually, 6,7L Diesel
2008 Forest River Sandpiper 375QBQ
dd5087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

If you're looking for the exact replacement you probably should contact FR for at least the manufacturer of the register they used. Chances are they may have changed vendors so they may no longer carry that line.
If the opening is completely covered and the only issue is screw alignment you can always just make new holes provided that's what you want to do and like the replacement register. If you want the exact brand of register there are numerous RV Parts websites and most likely you'll find what you're looking for.They have pictures of the products.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...24&pageNum=195

This link may help.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

I have one in my rig where one of the screws was too close to the opening edge and didn't grab anything when it was installed. I was wondering if a normal vent from the Home Depot would work as I need something with the holes farther apart.

I would think that if it fits the opening then as long as the screws have something to grab into it wouldn't matter if it didn't line up with the old holes.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I have one in my rig where one of the screws was too close to the opening edge and didn't grab anything when it was installed. I was wondering if a normal vent from the Home Depot would work as I need something with the holes farther apart.

I would think that if it fits the opening then as long as the screws have something to grab into it wouldn't matter if it didn't line up with the old holes.
The floor registers sold by HD are for residential use and most likely will not have screw holes but you can drill holes through the floor register flange if you want but they are designed to just lay in. Now, they may bounce out of the opening if they're very loose while traveling down the road. However they're much easier to remove to vacuum out the duct.
Sidewall Registers, generally white, have screw holes but will have a handle that sticks out from the front. You don't want to use these as floor registers.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
The floor registers sold by HD are for residential use and most likely will not have screw holes but you can drill holes through the floor register flange if you want but they are designed to just lay in. Now, they may bounce out of the opening if they're very loose while traveling down the road. However they're much easier to remove to vacuum out the duct.
Sidewall Registers, generally white, have screw holes but will have a handle that sticks out from the front. You don't want to use these as floor registers.
Ahh, yessss, Thanks Charlie, I hadn't thought about that. I might have to just make the one I have work. Maybe get under there and provide something for the screw to bite into.

O.K. one more thing to add to the "to do" list. At this rate I will be well into the next life and not be even half way done....
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #6

You could always weld something using 3/8" re-bar and tack that thing in. It won't go nowhere.

Or the residential type my work. Also you can look at mobile home styles as well. Let us know whatcha do.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeep View Post
Ahh, yesss, Thanks Charlie, I hadn't thought about that. I might have to just make the one I have work. Maybe get under there and provide something for the screw to bite into.

O.K. one more thing to add to the "to do" list. At this rate I will be well into the next life and not be even half way done....
Or you can use velcro on each end if it on something other then carpet.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
You could always weld something using 3/8" re-bar and tack that thing in. It won't go nowhere.

Or the residential type my work. Also you can look at mobile home styles as well. Let us know whatcha do.
You're starting to sound like a Jeeper' Overkill is the name of the game with trail rigs.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 03-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
You're starting to sound like a Jeeper' Overkill is the name of the game with trail rigs.
Never owned a Jeep. I've always been a Binder guy.

but yeah overkill everything
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote