Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser5031 View Post
Maybe this?

Yeah, I'm looking at them throwing up a nice Led Zeppelin piece that's about the size of the back cap. Getting a little push back from my GF tho.....don't know why.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
If you can't get decals, that opens a new opportunity for you to customize it with some cool graphics!

Like the idea, Kris, but won't work for us for three reasons. First, any changes on the passenger side graphics would require changes for the other side of the coach. Second, insurance company only paying for costs to restore graphics to original condition. Third, the cool graphics you and I'd like to put up will make it harder to sell this RV, which my GF and I plan to do in the next few years, if the graphics aren't as close to stock as possible.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Like the idea, Kris, but won't work for us for three reasons. First, any changes on the passenger side graphics would require changes for the other side of the coach. Second, insurance company only paying for costs to restore graphics to original condition. Third, the cool graphics you and I'd like to put up will make it harder to sell this RV, which my GF and I plan to do in the next few years, if the graphics aren't as close to stock as possible.

Why!! You can only see one side at a time!

On the serious side though. Have you thought about doing away with the rear cap altogether? I've noticed more & more 5'ers that used to come with rear caps are now coming with basic flat fiberglass rear walls instead of molded caps (possibly due to cost or because of the fading issue that plagued fiberglass caps in the past). Not sure if that is feasible but, your body shop should know if he can make something like that work. A single sheet of fiberglass or two may be easier to procure than waiting for them to get around to molding a new cap.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Why!! You can only see one side at a time!

On the serious side though. Have you thought about doing away with the rear cap altogether? I've noticed more & more 5'ers that used to come with rear caps are now coming with basic flat fiberglass rear walls instead of molded caps (possibly due to cost or because of the fading issue that plagued fiberglass caps in the past). Not sure if that is feasible but, your body shop should know if he can make something like that work. A single sheet of fiberglass or two may be easier to procure than waiting for them to get around to molding a new cap.

Actually, rracer5, I stand corrected by your above comments....thank you!

The RV repair shop called it a "back cap" that has to be replaced. It's actually a single flat fiberglass rear wall in a plain white color with the Sabre logo. Its NOT a fancy one piece molded type to which you're describing (thank god for that). I can only imagine how hard it is to find something like that. Below is a pic of the back except mine also has a roof ladder. There's a large crack in the middle to upper right side of the fiberglass on mine where it was peeled back from the wood studs behind it. Luckily, the ladder was not damaged.

Old 10-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

That plain back wall is begging for some artwork!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That plain back wall is begging for some artwork!
Yep, my GF wants to get some graphic decal or wrap for the back too. Shouldn't be a problem to remove it when that day comes we go to sell it, depending on the graphic she wants.

I'd just love to have one plain white back wall without the logo right now.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Actually, rracer5, I stand corrected by your above comments....thank you!

The RV repair shop called it a "back cap" that has to be replaced. It's actually a single flat fiberglass rear wall in a plain white color with the Sabre logo. Its NOT a fancy one piece molded type to which you're describing (thank god for that). I can only imagine how hard it is to find something like that. Below is a pic of the back except mine also has a roof ladder. There's a large crack in the middle to upper right side of the fiberglass on mine where it was peeled back from the wood studs behind it. Luckily, the ladder was not damaged.

Ahhh!! Yeah, I would have called that the "back wall panel" as opposed to a "cap". Sure takes the confusion out of it. I would just have them screw it back in place, run a piece of Eternabond along the crack, caulk the edges & hit the road until they get the new wall. May not look pretty but, at least your not loosing the use of it (and making payments) while it just sits.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Yep, my GF wants to get some graphic decal or wrap for the back too. Shouldn't be a problem to remove it when that day comes we go to sell it, depending on the graphic she wants.

I'd just love to have one plain white back wall without the logo right now.
I'm with you about graphics. I'm trying to convince my DW to let me order a new RV with no vinyl graphics. I would love full body paint, but NO vinyl.
So far it's a no go with her. I told her then she could maintain the graphics and I just got 'the look'
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #29

I have $7200 in damage from a China Bomb that let go last May.
Repairs wont be done until parts arrive and due to supply chain problems, its unknown when parts will arrive.
Meanwhile I am still using the trailer.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm with you about graphics. I'm trying to convince my DW to let me order a new RV with no vinyl graphics. I would love full body paint, but NO vinyl.
So far it's a no go with her. I told her then she could maintain the graphics and I just got 'the look'

Uh, oh!

I'm with you on getting a new one but, she says "why, we've finally got this one fixed up just the way we like it". Damn...I'm my own worst enemy! What she doesn't understand is as things age (Me & the trailer) it's getting harder to keep it looking new & roadworthy.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #31

Fortunately, I carry enough tools and supplies to "patch/repair" quite a bit should something happen. Especially since we are full time with no sticks & bricks! A little RV knowledge (learned from forums like this & trial & error), common sense, staying calm & devising a plan will help you get through. Just this past March while in Florida we had "an incident" that I was able to "take care of" to the point that we were able to continue our travel plans. Later on in June when they came to do the permanent repair, they wondered why. They said my "temporary" repair would have probably lasted for the life of the roof! If it wasn't for the interior damage, I may have agreed. Did I mention I hate trees!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (6).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	264604   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	264606  
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Ahhh!! Yeah, I would have called that the "back wall panel" as opposed to a "cap". Sure takes the confusion out of it. I would just have them screw it back in place, run a piece of Eternabond along the crack, caulk the edges & hit the road until they get the new wall. May not look pretty but, at least your not loosing the use of it (and making payments) while it just sits.

Yeah, the repair shop did just what you described. Also told me any temporary repairs may not look so pretty, but don't really care at this point. My Insurance Adjuster suggested to have it fixed so its "road ready" and said they'll cover that cost so at least we could use it until the part comes in. Although the repair shop hadn't done any temporary fixes to get it ready for towing, they did add some screws here and there to get the wall back on the studs it was on. But, outside of that, I couldn't tell you if they caulked or installed any Eternabond as a temporary measure.

My GF and I didn't green light the temporary fixes because we figured we'd be patient and wait it out a bit longer. The repair shop was also a bit reluctant at first to any "road ready" repairs because they were concerned more damage could occur just towing it down the road. Unfortunately, were getting to the end of camping season here, so I really can't wait much longer and have to get it back to get it ready for winter. Now, the repair shop has changed their tune too and suggested last week we get the temporary fixes completed because we have no idea how many more weeks or months we'll have to wait for the replacement wall to show up.

And, this is what worries me most. Without the temporary repairs completed, it's by no means as water tight as it was prior to the accident and is stored on one of the repair shop's lots uncovered to the elements. Highly concerned mold and/or mildew will be found behind the damaged back wall when they remove it to install the replacement. It's going to be up to me (or the repair shop whom I also asked to take pictures) to snap some photos of any discovered water damage inside the wall when they go to take it off.

According to my insurance adjuster, the claim will not cover any ancillary damage caused by it sitting on the repair shop's lot waiting for the part. I'll also be the one paying for any further damages that may happen as a result of using the RV while waiting for the part to arrive so I'm a bit reluctant to drive it much until the final repairs are completed.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Fortunately, I carry enough tools and supplies to "patch/repair" quite a bit should something happen. Especially since we are full time with no sticks & bricks! A little RV knowledge (learned from forums like this & trial & error), common sense, staying calm & devising a plan will help you get through. Just this past March while in Florida we had "an incident" that I was able to "take care of" to the point that we were able to continue our travel plans. Later on in June when they came to do the permanent repair, they wondered why. They said my "temporary" repair would have probably lasted for the life of the roof! If it wasn't for the interior damage, I may have agreed. Did I mention I hate trees!!

You did a hellava good job patching that one up, foe sho!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I have $7200 in damage from a China Bomb that let go last May.
Repairs wont be done until parts arrive and due to supply chain problems, its unknown when parts will arrive.
Meanwhile I am still using the trailer.

Wow, that must've been a whole lot of damage to the flooring in your rig. I think the damages total on my RV and the one I sideswiped was about that figure.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

Yea, I'd much prefer full body paint too, but way more than I can spend right now. Stands up to the elements so much better and doesn't start to peel off and/or fade after a few years. My next RV will likely have full body paint, if I have any say in it, but that ain't happen for a few more years from now.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #36

Quote:
Yeah, the repair shop did just what you described. Also told me any temporary repairs may not look so pretty, but don't really care at this point. My Insurance Adjuster suggested to have it fixed so its "road ready" and said they'll cover that cost so at least we could use it until the part comes in. Although the repair shop hadn't done any temporary fixes to get it ready for towing, they did add some screws here and there to get the wall back on the studs it was on. But, outside of that, I couldn't tell you if they caulked or installed any Eternabond as a temporary measure.

My GF and I didn't green light the temporary fixes because we figured we'd be patient and wait it out a bit longer. The repair shop was also a bit reluctant at first to any "road ready" repairs because they were concerned more damage could occur just towing it down the road. Unfortunately, were getting to the end of camping season here, so I really can't wait much longer and have to get it back to get it ready for winter. Now, the repair shop has changed their tune too and suggested last week we get the temporary fixes completed because we have no idea how many more weeks or months we'll have to wait for the replacement wall to show up.

And, this is what worries me most. Without the temporary repairs completed, it's by no means as water tight as it was prior to the accident and is stored on one of the repair shop's lots uncovered to the elements. Highly concerned mold and/or mildew will be found behind the damaged back wall when they remove it to install the replacement. It's going to be up to me (or the repair shop whom I also asked to take pictures) to snap some photos of any discovered water damage inside the wall when they go to take it off.

According to my insurance adjuster, the claim will not cover any ancillary damage caused by it sitting on the repair shop's lot waiting for the part. I'll also be the one paying for any further damages that may happen as a result of using the RV while waiting for the part to arrive so I'm a bit reluctant to drive it much until the repairs are completed.

1 - Good insurance adjuster!

2 - Repair shop probably wants it off their lot because they know there could be further damage because they put it out without tarping it enough to keep the elements out.

3 - That's why they have agreed to do temporary repairs. But, the adjuster said "road worthy" which to me means, structurally sound & repaired/sealed so that it can be used just as if permanent were completed. Just the cosmetic work parts need to be addressed.

4 - So, if the rear wall (studs etc.) is structurally sound & can be sealed well enough to keep the elements out, I wouldn't hesitate to "use like I normally would" & enjoy my time with it.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #37

Quote:
You did a hellava good job patching that one up, foe sho!

Yeah. 3 1/2 hours later I had it patched and we left the next day just to get out from under that tree!

Insurance adjuster estimated it from my pics. & description and issued a check for $5,773. When I got my mobile tech. guys to come they worked directly with the insurance company on supplements for different labor rates because 1) they did it on site & 2) Florida labor & tax rates (where damage occurred) are different than SC rates where roof plywood, membrane & interior ceiling panel was replaced.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #38

Quote:
1 - Good insurance adjuster! - Totally agree with you. Too bad David recently retired from his damage appraiser job.

2 - Repair shop probably wants it off their lot because they know there could be further damage because they put it out without tarping it enough to keep the elements out. - Since my original Adjuster retired, the one managing my claim now said last week the repair shop should know better to cover the RV if they didn't seal it up all the way and that they'll be the ones liable for any additional damage while waiting for the part to arrive, which makes total sense. Good luck in getting them to acknowledge it though

3 - That's why they have agreed to do temporary repairs. But, the adjuster said "road worthy" which to me means, structurally sound & repaired/sealed so that it can be used just as if permanent were completed. Just the cosmetic work parts need to be addressed. - David explained what "road ready" meant and is exactly what you've said

4 - So, if the rear wall (studs etc.) is structurally sound & can be sealed well enough to keep the elements out, I wouldn't hesitate to "use like I normally would" & enjoy my time with it. - The gap on the back passenger side corner where the exterior fiberglass wall was peeled back, is about six inches wide. I was able to look inside wall studs but didn't see anything damaged, but it was a six inch by three or four foot long gap so I won't be able to see everything until the whole back wall is removed for the final repair
Agreed!
Old 10-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #39

The more I read on here, the more I've about decided we need to hang it up on traveling with our 37' CC RDQS any more. It is a 2005 and in very good condition, but we will be needing to replace the tires next spring and I shudder to think what they will cost next year. Not to mention all these shortages on parts if you have an accident. Getting too old for all the trauma.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, repair