Old 11-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #1

RV underbelly critter help needed

Need advice on squirrel proofing my RV. Got a new Wolf Pup and had invaders almost immediately. They came up through foam under the sink. I blocked the hole with wire mesh and re-foamed. A couple days later my wife heard scratching and thought I trapped one. When I checked after work all was silent but I pulled the access panel door off from under the pedestal shower and discovered a mother load of walnuts. After pulling the shower enclosure out of my 2 month old camper I discovered the gapping hole Forest River left in the floor (WTH!?), two 5 gallon buckets of walnuts and a bunch of insulation. I formed a wire mesh screen for this hole and used foam to seal.
Question - I feel like even if I've blocked entry points into the camper that the Tyvek-like soft underbelly covering and under floor insulation in creating a nesting environment for critters. Any reason I shouldn't remove the covering? I figure if there is/are nests I'll need to replace the insulation to remove urine and fecal material. What would work best to re-insulate? Fiberglass OK? Would using Liquid nails to glue solid insulation board to the floor be better? Also, the soft underbelly cover doesn't/can't be sealed off well around tanks, hoses and wiring. Any recommendations on solid materials (vinyl sheets, lexan, other) for fabricating a waterproof underbelly cover that can seal squirrels and other rodents out?
Thanks in advance!Click image for larger version

Name:	received_781347565646762.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	218851Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2766861623376667.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	218852Click image for larger version

Name:	received_425302148391738.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	218853

Left Arm Optional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #2

I have a friend who is an RV repair person and stays busy. I go over to pester him and help do some of the work. That "Tyvek" type material, or any of the "soft" type material, is notorious for being torn apart when the RV goes down the road also. An underbelly that has had the covering removed whether through having to work in the underbelly, has been damaged, or whatever reason can be replaced with "Coroplast" sheeting found at Home Depot, Lowes, or most any building supply store. The factory stuff is a roll and they install it with the frame upside down which makes it easier than trying to do on your back. The edges of the sheet material can be sealed using "Gorilla tape" or equivalent product. You can cut slits in it to place around anything that it protruding from the floor of the RV, slide it into place and have a hole for the protrusion to fit in. That hole can be sealed with expanding foam or brass wool.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #3

All I can say is.. welcome to the club.

Some campers (mine included) use Chloroplast. It looks like cardboard but it's made out of plastic.

My covering is hard, durable, and waterproof. Normally, it is secured to the frame rails and uses wood lath as support Along the seams and during long runs.

Your local sign shop would be a great place to get it.. I'd use Black but it's really up to you.

Seal all the holes in cabinets through the floor.

For me, they were still getting in. What I discovered was they were climbing up the RV cover and coming in through the fridge vent and the sewer vents. Since I've stopped using the cover I have not had additional issues.

It gets real nasty when they get in your heat ducts. Mice made nests in mine blocking the flow of air as well as chewing through them.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Think I'll cut the soft undercover off this weekend so I can see any additional places that need steel mesh/foam and remove the potential for nesting areas. Got our first snow last night so may wait to worry about sealing with coroplast till spring.
Left Arm Optional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
An underbelly that has had the covering removed whether through having to work in the underbelly, has been damaged, or whatever reason can be replaced with "Coroplast" sheeting found at Home Depot, Lowes, or most any building supply store. The factory stuff is a roll and they install it with the frame upside down which makes it easier than trying to do on your back.
Coroplast can be made easier to work with if you add "battens" at regular intervals. Kind of like how sailboat sails are stiffened at their edges.

Either strips of lath like used on old plaster walls or if there is enough room, strips of 1 X 2.

Lay the Coroplast out on the ground, measure bottom of trailer for good locations, slip the "battens" under and fasten with good Heavy Duty staples. Can also use 3/4" long wood screws with fender washers if you want it really secure.

This will take most of the sag out of the plastic.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
underbelly