Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #1

RV warranty repair

Purchased my first new RV in early October Rockwood 2104s. Unknown to me the TV antenna was cracked on the roof and started to leak after it rained a few days later. I sealed up the crack with dicor and called the dealer for warranty repair. Have some molding hanging loose also. Took around 6 weeks to get repair and parts approved by forest river now another 3 1/2 to get an open appointment. Is this common to have to wait this long. It will be 5 months to the day of my repair request phone call to when it will get into the shop to fix it. Seems like a really long time to me but like I said thus is my first new unit. Dealer seems genuine and they have been very helpful as I bought it 500 miles from home at a different dealership.
rndsommer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
Site Team

The dealer has had mine for 5 months, fixing warranty stuff.

With the boom in RV sales and lack of RV techs, nearly everyone is having long wait times.
Our small dealer sold 90 units in one week this summer.

Plus the fact you bought from another dealer automatically puts you at the back of the line.

So pretty normal.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #3

Ok thx. I don't feel so bad now. I'll just wait in line.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #4

This is all too common with RV dealers, just making a guess but I think your dealer is feeding you a line about it taking 6 weeks for warranty repair approval. May have been less than a week if they had contacted the factory 5 weeks earlier.

The issue is you didn't purchase the RV from the dealer you took it to for repair so you go to the back of the line and even when you drop it off for repair it will sit until they run out of paying customers and customers they sold an RV too, then they will think about doing the repair work. If you are handy you are better off getting the parts from FR and doing the work yourself. Don't buy their line that they are waiting for factory approval and waiting for parts BS. Did you contact the dealer you brought it from to see if they would order any parts that are needed and have FR drop ship them to you and you do the work yourself. FR used to sell parts direct but the due to increased volume of sales they are not set up nor have the staff to do parts sales with individual customers so parts have to be ordered through a dealer.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
Scoundrel

I won't comment on your needed repairs - you need to do what you need to do. But I will say that the warranty on my camper is me. The repairs get done correctly and my camper isn't sitting at the dealer for weeks on end. I admit that not everyone can do their own repairs, but if it's something you think you can do, its worth doing it yourself. And you learn more about your TT that you would not have otherwise.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #6

Yea I know I was getting run around probably because I bought it somewhere else. They told me the part is in now and I could schedule an appointment which I did today but can't get me in until March 5th. They told me it would be in and out the same day if I got there in the am. I noticed the damage after 2 days off the lot new or I'd probably do it myself. They seem to be a decent dealership so I'll just sit til then. Frustrating how useless an RV warranty really is.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #7

I'm not camping over the winter so I can wait til March. If I get jerked then I'll just have to do it myself. I'm pretty handy but never did any work on an RV but it seems to be just a really crappy built house that will shake to pieces over time.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #8
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndsommer4 View Post
I'm not camping over the winter so I can wait til March. If I get jerked then I'll just have to do it myself. I'm pretty handy but never did any work on an RV but it seems to be just a really crappy built house that will shake to pieces over time.
When you think about it, imagine the damage that would occur if you were driving your house bumping up and down the road. Thats what we do to our campers. If it were me, I'd try and fix it myself if I thought I could.

Good luck!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #9

This is exactly why I searched for a dealer first and trailer second. Two weeks after I purchased I had problems with my water heater. Stopped by dealer and after a brief conversation they sent a tech to my house, two hours later, and replaced the electric heater element.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #10

And it's only going to get worse. 2017 was another Boom year for the RV industry. Son call his dealer to get work done before storing it for winter. His appointment is for the first week of June...2018.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
And it's only going to get worse. 2017 was another Boom year for the RV industry. Son call his dealer to get work done before storing it for winter. His appointment is for the first week of June...2018.
Wow! I actually called forest river directly and they told me wait times at dealerships could be up to a year in places like Florida and Texas. Up here in the north not as bad I guess.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndsommer4 View Post
You may also want to look up independent repair places around you for future repairs. Some of them will do warranty repairs also. I had some warranty issue's with my trailer, and the dealer I bought it from was telling me after four months they had yet to get approval for the repairs, much less the parts. I went to a local repair place that did factory warranties, and it was approved and done in two weeks.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #13

TT has been with dealer since mid-September. Insurance called yesterday after checking up with dealer and expect at least another 4 weeks for parts.

No biggie, I knew when I dropped it off, I was pretty much done for the season anyway.

Only issue is paying for storage and no TT.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
You may also want to look up independent repair places around you for future repairs. Some of them will do warranty repairs also. I had some warranty issue's with my trailer, and the dealer I bought it from was telling me after four months they had yet to get approval for the repairs, much less the parts. I went to a local repair place that did factory warranties, and it was approved and done in two weeks.

Mark
Here on long island ny you are very limited. I only know of one Jayco dealer here. Everyone else is a few bridges and at least 150 miles.

Tags
repair, warranty