Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2022, 11:54 AM   #1

Satellite hook ups

Hi I have a 2021 riverstone reserve. The hook ups for the outside tv and satellite are in the water closet. None of them tests good except for the outside tv. Only way to get satellite is direct wire to joey. How can i run a new wire to these plug ins? Forest river allowed the dealer 15 minutes under warranty to find the problem and my dealer says they can't help with out more time.
ladeena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:24 PM   #2

I am having a hard time picturing what this looks like when you say you got wiring in the "water closet" . I have not seen a situation where the cable TV wires are in the bathroom. What usually is the case with RV cable TV wiring is you have 1 Coax connector on the outside of the RV, that wire then runs directly to a plug thats been traditionally made by an RV outlet manufacturer called "Ultra - Gain TV" made by Braund Mfg co, and on this plug it on the front , it has a 12v cigarette lighter plug and a "coax-out" on the front and 3 inputs on the back, 1 goes out to the Roof TV antenna and the other goes to the TV and the 3rd is the input from the COAX CABLE connector on the outside of the RV. On this plug is a switch that turns on or off an amplifier. I have removed this entire plug in the past and I put in a standard splitter without an amp. This makes it more like home wiring and you can switch around the inputs and outputs because I am no longer using an standard RF roof antenna anymore thanks to the wonders of Satellite and Streaming Internet. I am more concerned with just having straight control of the COAX cables that have been pre-wired.

You probably need to provide some pictures. but running new cable into an RV through the walls is NOT easy. Its easier to come in from the bottom of the RV up through a cabinet.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #3

I was having poor connections using the sattelite port on mine. So I put in a new connector on the ouitside wall right by the entertainment center and with a short cable was able to hook up to my DISH reciever. The rest of the interior cabliing it redid with USB type cables.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensatt View Post
I am having a hard time picturing what this looks like when you say you got wiring in the "water closet" . I have not seen a situation where the cable TV wires are in the bathroom.
They likely mean the "wet bay" not the bathroom. My RV has a coax hookup in the wet bay to feed park cable to the rig.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:26 PM   #5

I'm sorry I did not explain that right. My hook ups are in the basement area of the 5th wheel where the water and tank values are located. I have 4 ports to connect to. outside tv satellite tv cable and aux. the only one that works is outside tv. All the cables run through the walls and slide outs on the 5th wheel. Have checked the back of the jacks in the bedroom and living area. All test open
Old 05-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #6

Not questioning your expertise but how did you perform a continuity check of the individual cables to verify they are open?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #7

I have a coax cable tester and the dealer I believe had a meter of some sorts.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:30 PM   #8

Any chance they are just reversed?

Then when you test one end to end it would be bad because it is reversed. And vice versa.

Easiest test is to open up the panels at both ends. Then disconnect the F connectors and have someone short one end while you watch the other end with an ohmmeter.

And check the other one if it checks bad in case they are simply swapped.

On Rockwoods, they use different color coax cable which helps identify which is which.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1_131 View Post
Any chance they are just reversed?
Then when you test one end to end it would be bad because it is reversed. And vice versa.
Easiest test is to open up the panels at both ends. Then disconnect the F connectors and have someone short one end while you watch the other end with an ohmmeter.
And check the other one if it checks bad in case they are simply swapped.
On Rockwoods, they use different color coax cable which helps identify which is which.
I think the testing done is highly suspect. Can't imagine all 3 or 4 coax cables being open. Guess it could happen though.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think the testing done is highly suspect. Can't imagine all 3 or 4 coax cables being open. Guess it could happen though.
If the COAX wires are going to wall plates with nothing connected, they will test open.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:32 AM   #11

My RV is different but some things sound familiar. You have 4 choices, which is similar to the back side of a video switch box which I have. There needs to be a switch somewhere since, even with 4 choices, something needs to decide which of the 4 inputs is routed to the TV itself. I agree, put a shorting plug on one of the inputs and use a multimeter to find where it actually goes...

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
My RV is different but some things sound familiar. You have 4 choices, which is similar to the back side of a video switch box which I have. There needs to be a switch somewhere since, even with 4 choices, something needs to decide which of the 4 inputs is routed to the TV itself. I agree, put a shorting plug on one of the inputs and use a multimeter to find where it actually goes...
You probably have one of these which was standard fare for a GT. Am not familiar with a Riverstone but something just doesn't sound right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VCS-3__65204.1492456884.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	274051  
Old 05-28-2022, 06:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You probably have one of these which was standard fare for a GT. Am not familiar with a Riverstone but something just doesn't sound right.
switch has to be somewhere!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #14

I couldn't get connected at the factory (SOB) connections. I found a good location on the side of the unit and drilled through from an inside cabinet, and ran the cable directly to the Wally. I installed a waterproof connector on the outside wall.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite