Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Cool Satellite ready?

I have read a lot of threads on this topic both in this forum and RVNet...but I am still stymied! I am switching out my old CRT television for a new 32" LCD at the front of my 2003 Georgetown (will be posting photos of the conversion later!). Needless to say, I am confronted with wiring issues. I have a rooftop amplified antenna system and a "campground cable" coax connector in one of the hatches. I want to also connect my portable DirecTV dish. It is my understanding that I can't use the cable connection for satellite because of the splitter/voltage issue on satellite?

Here's the question! There is an orange RG6 coax cable that terminates behind the faceplate ...and goes up into the ceiling...does anyone know where the other end of that cable might be? Were these rigs wired "satellite ready"? Thanks in advance!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"

Nights camped in 2011: 108
Nights camped in 2012: 41
piscesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesman View Post
I have read a lot of threads on this topic both in this forum and RVNet...but I am still stymied! I am switching out my old CRT television for a new 32" LCD at the front of my 2003 Georgetown (will be posting photos of the conversion later!). Needless to say, I am confronted with wiring issues. I have a rooftop amplified antenna system and a "campground cable" coax connector in one of the hatches. I want to also connect my portable DirecTV dish. It is my understanding that I can't use the cable connection for satellite because of the splitter/voltage issue on satellite?

Here's the question! There is an orange RG6 coax cable that terminates behind the faceplate ...and goes up into the ceiling...does anyone know where the other end of that cable might be? Were these rigs wired "satellite ready"? Thanks in advance!
Check up on your roof for a vent cap where there's no plumbing close to the front of your unit. Take off the cap and see if the wire isn't down inside. That's how ours is set up.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #3

If it is not labeled on the outside of your rig at the connector as "Sat" or "SAT TV" then yours is not rigged for satellite.

Doing so requires one single continuous coax run of RG6(?) direct from your SATBOX through the trailer to the satellite dish. You cannot just plug it into the "CABLE" input as that is junctioned with the antenna and the cable run.

Below is a link to a great site which discusses how to modify your setup.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/17/rv...cable-rewiring

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #4

...and the detailed .pdf...

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/17/rv...cable-rewiring

2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #5

Great stuff...thanks much! But I still am wondering where this other cable goes....will just have to rewire it myself!!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #6

Well... There is another way... That avoids the whole "orange RG6" thing and allows you to get the Sat signal to a rear TV....

1) Portable Sat outside the rig and aimed properly
2) RG6 from Sat to the receiver
3) Receiver in the compartment that has the "park cable" input
4) Regular coax from the receiver output to the "park cable" input
5) Wireless IR repeater in the compartment with the receiver so you can change the channel from a convenient spot
6) Tune the TVs to channel 3 and kick back...

I always enjoyed Rube Goldberg cartoons :-)
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesman View Post
Great stuff...thanks much! But I still am wondering where this other cable goes....will just have to rewire it myself!!
Is this for hooking up a "backing camera" system so that you can display it up front?

2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Old 04-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #8

I have a backing camera installed...this coax cable has a 4-wire telephone line wrapped around it...somebody obviously had something in mind...link to pay-per-view?? I suspect it terminates in the ceiling/roof for a rooftop dish...which doesn't help me. I've found a way to route a dedicated satellite cable down to one of the bays...so that's what I'm going to do.

Tags
satellite, television, wiring