Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #1

Screws under Dicor

Just curious what people think... I have a few roof screws that appear to be backing out under the dicor. Should I cut off the dicor and tighten then reseal? Also, should I fill any holes that have developed in the dicor? I have a few small spots where the dicor has cracked... very small but to help stop water intrusion.
Trailer is two years old. Covered for winter so nothing will happen till spring.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	218746

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #2

I've pretty much rebuilt my entire camper, removed lots of factory Dicor, and replaced with new.

In all my experiences doing this, I've never seen any indications of screws backing out.

Your situation makes me wonder how and why the screws are backing out. Even if they were not installed as tightly as they should have been, they were screwed down enough where the "toughness" of the Dicor would prevent this from happening, almost like a lock washer.

But, yes...I would cut away the Dicor and replace it. Then keep an eye on it.

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
Brake is on left

That is odd. I agree with Rolls, the sealant should have acted as a threadlock I would have thought. I just installed 3 roof vent covers and none of the screws looked like that.
Again, agreeing with Rolls, cut it out/ back to good sealant and refill with Dicor. If you feel frisky, pull the screws out and shoot some Dicor in the hole before tightening the screws.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Site Team

I'd definitely remove the Dicor and tighten or replace the screws and then reseal it.

I can't tell, where are those screws located? If it's the front cap seam that means that the cap is moving against the RV's body and that's backing the screws out. Might want to spend a little time inspecting that entire seam.

Also, Yes, you want to clean and reapply Dicor to any cracked places you find.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #5

Those screws are located on the top of the front cap. I have one of the "curved" front caps, not a straight edge. Being a fairly new camper should I contact forrest river about this? Warranty?

I'd hate to create more damage trying to repair it... The other spots (cracks) are just some little holes here and there in the dicor. Some over screws or other fixtures. Can the new dicor just go over the top of the current dicor? need to remove whats there first?

Also, curious on the post that said the cap is shifting causing the screws to back out. And that again brings me back to contacting forrest river?

Old 11-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Site Team

If it's still under warranty, I'd definitely contact them and send pictures of it to them.

They may want to remove the Dicor from the entire seam and tighten all the screws. Or they may tell you that it's normal.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
Retired Old Fart

Yes, if it's still under warranty you absolutely want to notify FR and send them photos to document your issue and the date it was reported (keep the emails and make notes of phone calls as I would both call and email them the photos). I agree it may be indicative of the front cap or the underlying structure moving which may be a sign of a much larger (and expensive repair) issue. Better to get it documented and reported under warranty!
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post

Also, curious on the post that said the cap is shifting causing the screws to back out. And that again brings me back to contacting forrest river?
Or...because the screws are loose, they're enabling the cap to shift....

Either way, as others have stated, get it documented.

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:57 AM   #9

Just a quick update.... I haven’t been on in a while.
It is out of warranty so that wasn’t an option. Took it in to a trusted RV repair shop in my area. He took a look and said that yes it could be repaired but may do the same thing again right away.
Knowing I am on my roof regularly to sweep the slides before I close them he suggested I just keep an eye on it. If it doesn’t back any further then no problem. If it backs more it’s an easy fix to cut a small section of dicor out, tighten, and seal. Easy enough I can do it while I’m traveling...