Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
bmg

Question Shocks for TV

Been thinking about new shocks for our Yukon 4x4. Our 28 foot TT is under 5000 lbs loaded so there's no problem towing. Ordinarily I'd look at getting the HD Bilsteins. Just wondered what others have experienced and what else might be recommended.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
CampeRooo

I think the Bilsteins are an excellent shock as well, they are highly rated on the other forum I belong to (cumminsforum). I, however, went with an Edelbrock Performer IAS set of shocks for my Dodge Ram. They were a little less expensive, offer a very good ride and performance, and are made in the good ole U.S.A.

Story behind it - I was talking "Trucks" with a fellow camper who was pulling a 30+ foot 5th wheel with a Chevy 2500 Diesel pickup and I mentioned that I needed to replace my stock shocks. He said that he chose these after researching many of the other name brands and comparing them to the Edelbrocks. He then made a phone call to the manufacturer and at some point, he was able to speak to one of the engineers behind this particular shock. Since he is an engineer as well, they talked "shop" and got behind all the physics of the design and whatnot and well, there ya go. If they are good enough for him and his application, I trust his research and decided to go for it as well. I'm pulling just an 18' Hybrid, but I am very satisfied with the ride with or without the TT on the hitch. Don't know if my rambling helps any or not, but thought I could put 2 cents in the can here....

Take care.
Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

With my .02 I would go with Bilstein's. I am putting Bilstein 7100 Series Remote Reservoir Shocks on my 2500. They are very highly rated although expensive, but they are rebuildable so it is an investment vs a purchase IMO.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
bmg

Thanks guys for the input. I didn't get your responses until this AM. In the meantime I got impatient last night and ordered the Bilsteins from Amazon. Bilsteins came original on our passenger car and I'd just put a new set on a couple of months ago. I need to get them on the Yukon in the next few days and Amazon offers free 2 day ship and a good price. Here's the links.

Amazon.com: Bilstein B46-2179 Heavy-Duty Gas Shock Absorber: Automotive

Amazon.com: Bilstein BE5-A405-H0 Heavy-Duty Gas Shock Absorber: Automotive

My next project is tires. For the car I have been running Continentals, which give a great ride and fairly long life. I put Continentals on the Yukon last time. The ride was great, but the tread wore much faster than on the car, so I didn't get the miles I was hoping for. So I'm back to square one. Before the Continentals, I used to run Michelins all the time so I'm kinda leaning that way again. The best match so far is the LXT M/S or M/S2. On Tire Rack they have the highest rating on the brands I compared. Any ideas on tires?
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

You won't be disappointed with those Bilsteins! I put them on my 06 Ram 1500 QC Hemi, and they really made a big difference; 60k on the clock at the time. A bit pricey, but worth the cost, IMO. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote