RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
A friend purchased a used Outback.
First time she turned the water on, water sprayed from the toilet. After replacing a couple of valves, she is replacing the toilet.
The previous owner called himself blowing the water out to winterize. If you don't get EVERY bit of the water out, you get that type of problems.
With rv antifreeze, you don't worry.
This was upstate NY.
What's the message here - that if you do it wrong, it won't work? Isn't that true of most procedures???

I'd bet that if you do the antifreeze, but do it wrong, you would get the same result.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #22

jimmoore13: Well said.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This isn't a blow out vs antifreeze thread. That subject has been beat to death.
This is about blowing your system out with a shop vac.
Personally, I wouldn't do it as it seems a bigger PITA and slower than using an air compressor. And what RVer doesn't at least carry a small air compressor with them at all times anyway?

This isn't about shop vac vs air compressor. Its about using a shop vac to blow our your lines.
campers302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
This isn't about shop vac vs air compressor. Its about using a shop vac to blow our your lines.
Oooooh, clever. I see what you did there.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #25

Fortunately, I never have to winterize. If I did, I would use a compressor regulated down to 50 PSI. Not sure I would put in antifreeze but my trailer is very simple.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #26

With all the ‘crap’ my shop vac has sucked up over the years, through the same hoses and connection ports (suck and blow ports) to the vac; I definitely would not consider using it to blow out my POTABLE water lines. Sure it can blow, but I hate to think what it is blowing down the water lines.
Good luck, hopefully you don’t have any bad experiences with this method.
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #27
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
What's the message here - that if you do it wrong, it won't work? Isn't that true of most procedures???

I'd bet that if you do the antifreeze, but do it wrong, you would get the same result.
Yeah. That.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #28

This fitting + a lock on air chuck and a compressor with the output pressure turned down to 20 PSI is what I use to blow ours out.

With the lock on chuck I can do it by myself in about 10 minutes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Road-Home-P...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 09-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
jimmoore13: Well said.
TLDR.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTCMCB View Post
Kind of a continuation of the "Why add anti-freeze" thread. I saw a post about using a Shop Vac but no instructions on how to attach to water system.

Parts:
Garden Hose Hex Nipple Nylon - 3/4 MGHT x 3/4 MGHT
shop-Vac® 1-1/4" Wet/Dry Vacuum Extension Wand

I had to remove the 1st half inch of the extension wand to make the nipple fit snuggly, I may glue in place but as of now it is working.

I may start using this to clear the water hose for storage too.
I just use a pipe clamp and a hose .I use it for my HW tank to
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #31

I was intrigued by the idea of using dry warm air to blow out my RV lines. I have a large Rigid VAC/Blower so I did a little testing... and the shop vac does NOT have enough pressure to blow out a 25' garden hose that is full of water. If there is just a little water it will work... but that's not what we are going for.

I PERSONALLY WOULD'T USE THIS METHOD.
(but thanks for the idea )
BunnyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyCamper View Post
I was intrigued by the idea of using dry warm air to blow out my RV lines. I have a large Rigid VAC/Blower so I did a little testing... and the shop vac does NOT have enough pressure to blow out a 25' garden hose that is full of water. If there is just a little water it will work... but that's not what we are going for.

Where did you buy the shop vac at the dollar store.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyCamper View Post

That seems strange. When I tested mine I cleared a 100' 5/8" hose. Using my shopvac will never be normal for me, my compressor works better, but it does work. There are concerns associated with contamination if the shopvac is not clean, but it does work.

2006 Forest River Georgetown 340 TS
FTCMCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicoll View Post
With all the ‘crap’ my shop vac has sucked up over the years, through the same hoses and connection ports (suck and blow ports) to the vac; I definitely would not consider using it to blow out my POTABLE water lines. Sure it can blow, but I hate to think what it is blowing down the water lines.
Sometimes literally "crap" has gone through my shop vac over the years. Sometimes stuff the cat had tossed out of the cat box and even mouse poop in my garden shed.

NO THANKS, I prefer not to use a shop vac to blow down my water lines. Not unless I were to buy a brand new one and dedicate it to that one task alone.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
This fitting + a lock on air chuck and a compressor with the output pressure turned down to 20 PSI is what I use to blow ours out.

With the lock on chuck I can do it by myself in about 10 minutes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Road-Home-P...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like this fitting better.

https://i.imgur.com/7dN9Z.gif

Although either one works.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I like this fitting better.

https://i.imgur.com/7dN9Z.gif

Although either one works.
I have an air chuck which clamps itself to the one I posted, but as you stated, either one will work.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicoll View Post
I don't use it to blow out the lines I use to get the crap out of the he tank
Old 10-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #38

Re: Using something to clean out your fresh water hose, filter, etc. Fro. Years of studying/working with Industrial Hygiene I learned to use Hydrogen Peroxide instead of any Clorox product. HP is used in medical facilities to cleanse almost everything. Before attaching my fresh water hose I squirt a generous amount of HP into the hose and rinse all connection points with the HP. Yes, I even allow it to go through the Camco type external filter. Is HP safe? I remember one of the instructors asking us if we would rinse our mouths with Clorox or HP.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Re: Using something to clean out your fresh water hose, filter, etc. Fro. Years of studying/working with Industrial Hygiene I learned to use Hydrogen Peroxide instead of any Clorox product. HP is used in medical facilities to cleanse almost everything. Before attaching my fresh water hose I squirt a generous amount of HP into the hose and rinse all connection points with the HP. Yes, I even allow it to go through the Camco type external filter. Is HP safe? I remember one of the instructors asking us if we would rinse our mouths with Clorox or HP.
That's great as long as you only use fresh H2O2. Hydrogen Peroxide is very unstable. It sheds an Oxygen atom as it breaks down. Given enough time, you will be left with a bunch of free Oxygen atoms and a bottle of pure water (H2O)

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
That's great as long as you only use fresh H2O2. Hydrogen Peroxide is very unstable. It sheds an Oxygen atom as it breaks down. Given enough time, you will be left with a bunch of free Oxygen atoms and a bottle of pure water (H2O)
In addition...you need Hydrogen peroxide in a 10 to 1 ration to actually do anything. That means I need 4 gallons of hydrogen peroxide for a 40 gallon tank if I want the entire tank to be treated. I kinda don't want to buy 4 gallons of the stuff. I will stick with bleach.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water