Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #1

Short in stabilizer motor?

I have had the 20 amp fuse blow twice while raising the stabilizers on my trailer. The same stabilizer every time. They go just as the stabilizer reaches the top of it's travel and the motor begins to rotate indicating the stabilizer is all the way up. A third fuse went when, after I replaced the second, I mistakenly pushed the switch to retract rather than extend. The motor now works perfectly fine to extend and retract the stabilizer as long as I am very careful to keep it from 'finishing' at the top.

It seems to me that blowing a 20 amp fuse instantaneously must be the result of a short somewhere in the motor wiring. I looked at the connection at the motor and I found that the rubber cover that protects the wiring at the motor is completely rotten. I pulled it apart with my fingers very easily. However, I could not find any breaks in the wire insulation going into the motor. I've not pulled the motor to check for any wiring problems inside it.

Before I tow my unit 150 miles to my dealer for warranty work, I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and what they were able to do about it.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab, Vortec Max
Prodigy, Reece DC

GAL119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #2

Tell your dealer about the problem. He will replace the standard fuse in the converter panel for the stabilizers with an auto-reset fuse. This will solve your problem. How do I know ??? - been there, done that !! (2010 Rockwood SUL 8315BSS)

Or you can replace the standard fuse yourself with an auto-reset type . Its a simple plug in.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Tell your dealer about the problem. He will replace the standard fuse in the converter panel for the stabilizers with an auto-reset fuse. This will solve your problem. How do I know ??? - been there, done that !! (2010 Rockwood SUL 8315BSS)

...VTX-AL
My unit came from the factory with an auto-resetting fuse in the power lead directly at the up/down switch. This is in addition to the fuse panel one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hidden circuit protection rear stabilizers.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	3166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower CB Panel.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	3167  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #4

A quick update on this topic for information:
I happened to be at my dealers for something else and I asked their tech people about the fuse problem with the stabilizer. This is apparently not an unusual problem. If you run the stabilizer up and allow the motor to bind at the top, it can easily pull high amps and blow the fuse. They've also had a number of people complain that slide fuses will blow.
Several of the dealer's techs are visiting at Forest River next month and this fuse blowing issue is high on their list for discussion there.
Flagstaff is new to my dealer this year. The tech's general opinion of it after one season of sales is that overall FR makes a pretty good coach

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Prodigy, Reece DC

Old 09-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #5

Herks pic. shows a 15 amp fuse, our 2010 has 15 amp, the OP said his has 20 amp. Whats up with that? Ours work with the 15. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #6

Yep, I noticed Herk's photo too. My trailer came with 20 amp for the stabilizers. FR's attempt to minimize the problem?

In fact, one of the tech's at my dealer suggested I might try going to a 30 amp. I'm not going to though. I'll stick with being careful about lifting the jack to keep it from binding.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Prodigy, Reece DC