Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

Shower caulking?

On the new 2012 surveyor sp192T there doesn't seem to be any caulking at the top of where the shower vinyl meets the vinyl wallpaper. It is about 2" from the ceiling. When I asked the guy doing my PDI he stated that it doesn't need to be caulked because any water that gets in will drain out the bottom where the tub is.

Comment?

Mike
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Commercial Member

If there no problem with the water hitting the "vinyl wallpaper" you would not need a shower stall. I don't know that a large amount of water would go down there because it is so high up, but if I were going to error, I would error on the side of caution. I would seal it!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

It might not be caulked so it is open to air. I have an 08 Salem and mine isn't caulked either. We were at a Rv show and 90% of the showers had no caulk.
Jsr9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies. I have thought about this a little more. There is adhesive that hold the shower walls against the vinyl wallpaper. It appears that there was an attempt to caulk but it was done poorly. I caulked the top this afternoon. I also recalled the area around the sink against the wall. Hopefully this won't bite me in the bottom in the future.

Mike
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #5

I'm in the process of replacing my garden tub and shower surround because the prevous owner caulked the living crap out of the surround and tub in an effort to stop a small leak that I found to be coming from the bottom of the shower door. The caulk had yellowed and looked like crap. Once it's on there, it does not come off. The top and bottom of the surround is designed to be open to allow air to ventilate behind it. There's a lip on the tub that stops water from getting behind the tub and onto the wall and floor.