Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Slam Latches Waterproof?

Hello gang,
We bought a new Rockwood 2905ws a few weeks ago and I have a water leak. I think I have a good idea on where its coming from, but wanted some feedback.
The trailer has the wardrobe slide (WS) and the outside cargo area door can't be opened up all the way when the slide is out. I noticed this before we bought the unit and I also saw online a 2017 that FR flipped the doors around so they open down instead of up to correct this issue. So, I asked the RV dealer where I bought the unit if they could flip my door around for me before I pick it up. They said sure, but they wanted 500.00 to do so. Well, I'm a pretty handy fella and figured I could do it myself. So the next day after bringing the trailer home I flipped the door over in about 5 mins! Only has 4 screws holding the whole door frame in place. I would have been highly upset if I would've paid someone 500.00 to do what took me 5 mins!
Well I think the slam latches aren't made to be mounted upside down. I've had water leaving in my storage area and running into the bedroom. I've wiped up the water and put fans in to dry everything up. I had my son crawl into the storage compartment as I sprayed it down with the waterhose. He said it was leaking from the handle.
Any ideas on how I can fix this? Maybe try and get a door without the little slam latch or just live with it not opening up while the WS is opened (even when the WS isn't out it doesn't have anything to hold it open).

Thanks
beerbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
clr

I had a problem with water getting into my front storage compartment on my Sanibel 3601. The water would be channeled within the latch to inside of the compartment and then would channel through the striker latch into the storage compartment. What I did to fix this was to use liquid electrical tape remove the striker and coat the bottom of the striker and the screws so that the water could not get through or under the striker. This worked great for me and stopped the leak. But by turning the handle upside down I would say that you have no chance of stopping this arrangement from leaking since the handle will channel the water to the inside in a big way. I would turn the door back over so that this does not leak but of course this is your decision.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Why not just pull the whole assy out and mount it with the latch down?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
clr

You cannot turn the whole assy out and turn it over or the latch will be facing down also, the wrong way. The assembly is sort all pressed together except the front and back plates are able to be separated.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
You cannot turn the whole assy out and turn it over or the latch will be facing down also, the wrong way. The assembly is sort all pressed together except the front and back plates are able to be separated.
That's what I meant by the whole assy, the inner and outer frame work. The latch on most doors are down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Door Latch.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	105638  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Why not form you up a deflector?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

That is the problem. When it's mounted downward you can't open the door more than halfway do to it hitting the Wardrobe slide. I wonder if I can get the manufacturer to send me a new door assembly with the turn latches instead of slam latches.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
beerbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Slam latch doors are thicker.....approx 3/8".....when the doors open down, everything you put in there will be heavier to pull back out....can't get as close to the compartment
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, water