Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

Slide Out Leak Help??

We've had this 2012 Silverback for about one week now...and have come across a damp carpet spot deep in the exterior corner of the master bedroom slide-out.
After inspecting the outside, I have realized that the previous owner must have known about this, as there is dicor tape along the corner/edge of where the damp carpet is located. This tape on the bottom edge is not on the other side nor any of the other slides.

The roof of the slide-out looks excellent, and no sign of water infiltration. All seals, caulk, and tape look great.

You can see in the picture water marks on the bottom of the slide. And the caulk on the BOTTOM of the slide at the flange is coming out, and this caulk/foam strip was also damp the other day...and that's with no rain for several days, so it could be damp from previous rains.

Has anyone had any experience with locating a leak like this?
Recommendations on where to caulk or tape?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5831.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	106663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5832.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	106664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5833.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	106665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5834.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	106666  
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Most slideout leaks originate from the top and you stated you've already inspected the top, but take a look at the corners and window frames, too. If you can, pull up the corners of the carpet and I'll bet you'll find some evidence of past or current leakage. If so, and I hate to say it, you'll need to remove the bed and frame and any cabinetry in the slide in order to repair the substrate, but again, you gotta stop the leak source first.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

That's Eternabond tape on the "patch"
Based on the water marks on the underside of the slide, I'd hazard a guess that more than the corner was soaked.
Water seeks its own level and the source of the leak could be far from the original owners half hearted attempt at a fix; I. E. , I'd look for a breach in the slide membrane where the roof meets the exterior wall on the slide. Extruding screw heads at that juncture are sometimes the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Here is the correct answer from a Silverback (2015) owner who HAD THE SAME ISSUE UNTIL FIXED!! If you PM me a contact phone number, I will explain it. Too darn old to write this again. Several of us have had this same problem.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #5

Hi, be great if you could provide a short version. slides are everywhere and be good to know what you have to say

Thanks
Funbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #6

Cedar Creek leaks

I spoke with the Silverback owner in detail yesterday.

You csn find several solutions by going to the same forum; under TRAILERS and then CEDAR CREEK.

Info is there. Over time, several owners have posted issues and solutions to leaks.

There also is a SEARCH FUNCTION that could help get you posted info as well.
I was simply browsing out of RV BRAND SPECIFIC and saw the same issue I resolved as have others.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Site Team

mekkerlc

Since this appears not to be an isolated issue, once you locate and repair the leak, please come back and post your resolution.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #8
Camping for fun

Check the wiper seal

Check the top wiper seal. It should be over the top of the side wiper seal. If it's not it will funnel water into the unit.
Wildcat1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #9

Thank you Kurt -- I will double check the wiper seals as well.

And yes, I will post what I find...but I am afraid it will be some time as the only way to know is after the wood floor drys, which could take several weeks. As that is the only sign of water inside and out...nothing down the walls, no delamination, etc...

I did speak with SilverbackMel -- he gave me great information. He basically shared this:
--------------
I found those small triangle edge (outer) pieces were NEVER SEALED and acted like mini buckets catching all rain runoff and leaking it to the last point of entry: THE BEDROOM FLOOR!

The UPPER piece was NEVER SEALED and improperly installed, allowing water to get in! UGH!
That joint had to be torn down, rebuilt and resealed!

In the interim, I covered them with Gorilla tape. I was under warranty and having other work done.

Issues resolved!
------------
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #10

Seal checks

As appropriately stated, seals are the FIRST thing to inspect. I do need to point out that the SILVERBACKS ( as mine) have CATHEDRAL ROOFS OVER SOME SLIDES ( depending on the year) the water, rolls easily off those areas.
I had my issues fixed as stated here on the recent post. I find it ironic (and unacceptable) that slides were assembled in such a shoddy manner, period. You can have the BEST SUPERVISORS IN THE FIELD, however, they cannot and should not have to pull units apart and re assemble them. Several of us Silverback owners have experienced water in the SAME EXACT PUDDLJNG SPOT. I was in Goshen, IN for this and OTHER issues under warranty. I had mine repaired and MORE WAS FOUND BY THE TECH!! You COULD NOT SEE THIS WITH THE EYE!! Period! He, rightfully felt an instinct and pulled the slide corner assembly apart and found BOTH separation AND ZERO, NADA, NO, caulking BEHIND THESE PIECES.

Tags
leak, slide, slide out