Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #1

Slide out seals

Any idea why my Crusader fifth wheel (2014) slide out seals are tearing? Both sides of the living room are gone. Bedroom looks OK.
stilmovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #2

It could be as simple as not sufficient lubrication on the seals. Or it could be a to tight situation.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

Slide out seal tears

My owner's manual is very specific about using no lubrication. Does that mean the original seals were too wide, and it was an installation error? Unfortunately I am out of warranty.
stilmovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #4

What I use, never have I seen any thing saying not to lube , my manufacture guide says every 6 month but I spray them every quarter.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #5

I certainly believe that is in your manual, but I to am a little surprised, my manual states to treat the seals as necessary with an approved slide out lubricant. In any case could you provide a little more info on when and what you are doing, at the time the seals are tearing. One thing that has occurred is the seal sticking to the sealant used around the exterior of the slide out, it may be the butyl tape or butyl sealant it stays sticky and grabs the seals. Once it is on the seals it can stick when it is out or in.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #6
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

To seal or not to seal....I had heard baby powder being used on slide out seals was a good way to maintain. Dunno.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilmovn View Post
My owner's manual is very specific about using no lubrication. Does that mean the original seals were too wide, and it was an installation error? Unfortunately I am out of warranty.
I believe the info your manual was referring to is not to lube the slide tracks or rails. most manuf. of slides will caution you not to lube the slide rails or tracks as that can attract dirt.
Now as far as your seals go, you SHOULD treat them on a regular basis, several times a year. Their made from rubber and vinyl, and if not treated, will dry out.
Many product out there to treat seals. You do not want to use ANYTHING with a petroleum base, such as silicon.
Use something speciffically formulated for rubber and vinyl. Many of us use a product called 303 Protectant. It Was developed only to treat/preserve rubber/vinyl.
But, anything you may use is better than not treating.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #8
Alleged curmudgeon

I agree with Grumpy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
I believe the info your manual was referring to is not to lube the slide tracks or rails. most manuf. of slides will caution you not to lube the slide rails or tracks as that can attract dirt.
Now as far as your seals go, you SHOULD treat them on a regular basis, several times a year. Their made from rubber and vinyl, and if not treated, will dry out.
Many product out there to treat seals. You do not want to use ANYTHING with a petroleum base, such as silicon.
Use something speciffically formulated for rubber and vinyl. Many of us use a product called 303 Protectant. It Was developed only to treat/preserve rubber/vinyl.
But, anything you may use is better than not treating.
Grumpy
Grumpy is correct. The seals need to be treated (conditioned). One product I have used which keeps the seals soft and supple is seen here:

16 Ounce Slide Out Rubber Seal Conditioner - Camco 41135 - Slideouts & Storage Bays - Camping World

While I am unfamiliar with the Liquid Wrench product which another poster recommended above, that appears to be a "dry lube" type product, which is likely designed to lube working metal parts on the slide mechanism (such as tracks, rails, etc.) without the mess and dirt attractant qualities of oily lubes. I have used this one in the past:

Protect All Slide-Out Dry Lube Protectant - Thetford 40003 - Slideouts & Storage Bays - Camping World

However, the "dry lube" type products are NOT for use on slide seals.

Lee
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #9

Seal replacement

Own a 2015 LaCrosse. got ready to camp in January and when I slid the kitchen slide out the seal came with it. Been in the shop for a month waiting on seal from Forest River. Hope to get back this friday
scotthud1321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, slide, slide out