Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
Sliding Patio Doors

I have a Cherokee 39BS. It has the sliding patio doors. Does anyone know if regular household patio doors use the same size handle/lock?

Ours is SOOOO hard to lock, we have to pull up on the door, push forward, speak nicely to it...lol etc. etc. to get it to lock.

Also, is there anyway maybe to manually adjust the height of the door?

The handle/lock that came with the trailer is junk, I would probably be better off replacing it, but I hope I don't have to replace it with another junk one.
SSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #2

You should be able to adjust the striker, this is the part that is attached to the frame where the lock meets when you close the door. Some times the lock assembly can be loosen and slide up in the door and then re tighten. One other adjustment can be made, there are four holes in the inside of the door two at the top and two at the bottom the holes are there so the rollers can be adjusted as well. The holes may have round plastic plugs in them just pop them out and use a philp screw driver and turn them in one direction or the other to raise or lower the rollers which will move the door up or down. Try this last if the other two suggestion do not work.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Well described Rockwood! I don't know about interchangability with home door hardware, but the adjustments mentioned above should get things aligned properly. I'm not sure if mine has two adjustment screws or four, but either way you should be able to easily adjust it to fix the problem.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #4

Good evening Weishman 599, yes you should have two at the top and two at the bottom that's how the door is installed in the track. After the door is in then the rollers are adjusted so that the door will move smoothly and the door can not be lifted out of the track. If you are inside of your camper and are looking out the slider, the holes are located just above the glass on the top and just below the glass on the bottom.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Come to think of it, I helped an elderly neighbour with a hard-sliding door on her Terry and it did have four adjustments, so I imagine you're right. I seem to recall the adjustment holes being in the edge of the door not the face of it, right?

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Your door must need adjustment like stated by the others. I'd give it a try first...but you may want new hardware if it's that crappy.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Site Team

The hardware should be standard. One of the big box stores near you carry replacement hardware that should work.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Before we left our site on Sunday, we did try and adjust the striker but that didn't help. I think the actual door may need adjustments, I'll have to try what you guys suggested. I'm also going to measure the hardware to see if I can fit a better quality one on there. Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #9

UPDATE:

We played with the striker a bit more and it started working perfectly. Yay!