Old 05-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
Joyful New Member

Soft Floor - again & penetrating epoxy or resin

Palomiono Solaire 278, 2013, 1 slideout

First I am searching like crazy through the posts for a solution. But first, I was reading some of the disheartening stories and have to throw this in about dealers/makers/owners experiences especially regarding crappy floors. /// Question at end ...

I have the same soft floor issue, 2nd ower, it was soft when I got it in 2015 and I was in too much of a stupid hurry to ask questions. Fast forward, finally took to Colin, MI early this year, did a pressure test, was more or less told it was junk and it would cost more - at FACTORY - than to just buy another unit. After getting over the depression and let down, I started reading, talking, getting help on this forum and have been able to fix - so far - most problems other than the floor.

Want to hear something rich? I stopped at the gas station leaving town and ran into one of the workers and he said "oh did you just come from Palomino?" Yep, I said. This dude went off on a tirade about the quality and how much things have slipped since Berkshire Hathaway bought them out. Funny how much one can learn from someone on the inside. Of course I read about all the lawsuits back when, but being a 2nd owner. Tough Cookies for me. Lesson Learned. CAVEAT EMPTOR. And don't be stupid when buying something if it doesn't seem 100%r (that is on me).

Maybe I should just return the favor (karma), go buy a brand new RV on credit and then skip out of town and blame COVID (joking. Sort of). We were raised to work hard and trust a handshake. Too many crooks. No wonder nobody trusts anyone or anything any more. I 'll stop there. I'm starting to sound crotchety .....

=======================================

With having a slideout and mushy floors down the middle of the high traffic area, I was looking more and more at the idea of using a penetrating epoxy or resin

Watched several YouTube videos, but just a little leery about dealing with chemicals and my competence level. But it seems like a better fix than trying to lay down osb.

Does anyone have any link or feedback? Should I first tear off the bottom cover and get real good look at it? Part of my fear is punching holes through the floor, as per the videos, and not going through the bottom cover. It also looks a little difficult injecting goo ... I can see my hand slipping or getting too aggressive and the goo flies up into my eyeballs. lol I have a tendency to 'treat everything like a nail..."

richminaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #2

I have a 2013 windjammer ,have soft spots in front of sink, stove and fridge. Fixing to use some engineed planks fm Lowe's .the widest and longest and thickest I can find.will put it down without gluing and see how how well it works.

larry5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
Joyful New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry5167 View Post
I have a 2013 windjammer ,have soft spots in front of sink, stove and fridge. Fixing to use some engineed planks fm Lowe's .the widest and longest and thickest I can find.will put it down without gluing and see how how well it works.
I really wish I was the first owner and part of those class action lawsuits I have read about the flooring. When I bought it, the warrenty period was still in place and I ignored the soft spots. Buyer Beware.

Like you, the more we talk about our floor problem, we are thinking of doing what you are doing. It is complicated with having a very long large slideout.
richminaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:50 PM   #4

I'm 2nd owner it's a 3001w 35 ft.living room slide figure it will only take one box of planks to get from bathroom door to just pass sink.and Will go to edge of carpet.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #5
NH Maple Maker

My first TT had soft floors. It was a $300 Craigslist find and I knew that I was in for a major project when I bought it. The source of the leaks was fixed but the damage wasn't. I started in the rear bedroom and worked forward. I took out bed and floor covering and then the rotted floor. I replaced all of the studs, installed new 3/4" plywood, new floor tiles and then reinstalled the bed. The next year I did the same in the hallway, kitchen and dining area. When I was done the framework under the floor and floor were stronger than original. I'm a "if you're going to fix it do it right" kind of guy. The only way to fix this thing is to do as I did. Fix the cause first then tear out the floor and replace it. Laying a piece of OSB over it or injecting glue is only a patch and is going to hurt the resale value. If you fix it yourself and do it right you'll have the satisfaction that it was done right and you'll enjoy many years of camping.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #6

My floor is aluminum frame insulation in with thin liminated on both sides. The foam compresses between aluminum frame ribs,no rot or water damage,

Tags
floor