Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2022, 06:37 AM   #1
MCTroy

Soft floor repair

We got good news when checking a soft spit in our TT floor - no leak. The floor is dry and the boards are solid. But, there is some give where 2 sheets of wood meet. Our floor guy, who is not an RV tech, said to just leave it alone. I would prefer to fix it if we can. Any suggestions? We are laying new vinyl sheet flooring so any fixes need to be flat and smooth. I was thinking putting a glue or something like that between the boards? Thanks for any ideas!

Trailer is a 2015 Windjammer. Has plywood floors and this spot is in the walkway by the kitchen.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:59 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Unless you support the two flexing pieces from underneath, nothing like glue will hold the sheets together as any weight on/near the crack will just separate them again.

They do make sheeting clips that hold sheets together over longer spans between bracing (often used on roofing sheeting) but they need to be installed as the sheeting goes down during assembly.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
MCTroy

Thanks. That saves us wasting time on a glue. I just hate to cut out a section of the floor. That sounds like a bigger challenge than we are up for. I may just have to live with it.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #4

look to make sure your refrigerator defrost tube outside is in the evap. cup or hanging out of outside cover to drip on ground. it is tucked up above fridge burner . pull it down and route it out side. this ruined my floor years ago. i used honycomb beer advertisment signs, liquid nails ,foam board to fix mine. then stick on tiles and laminate wood floring . Soild now.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:50 AM   #5

Have you seen how they use fiberglass mesh tape and drywall compound for drywall seams? You could do the same thing for your floor seam using aluminum window screen and urethane construction adhesive. Cut a 6 to 8 inch wide strip of screen, put down a layer of adhesive, then apply the screen and smooth it out with a drywall knife. After it’s dry you can sand it and feather out the edges so it won’t show through your vinyl flooring. Choose a high end adhesive that dries hard. No, I have not tried this but I do not see why it wouldn’t work.
John816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:46 AM   #6
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John816 View Post
Have you seen how they use fiberglass mesh tape and drywall compound for drywall seams? You could do the same thing for your floor seam using aluminum window screen and urethane construction adhesive. Cut a 6 to 8 inch wide strip of screen, put down a layer of adhesive, then apply the screen and smooth it out with a drywall knife. After it’s dry you can sand it and feather out the edges so it won’t show through your vinyl flooring. Choose a high end adhesive that dries hard. No, I have not tried this but I do not see why it wouldn’t work.
I was thinking of using a mud to level floors but was afraid it would Crack with the movement. Your suggestion would you be harder than the mud. We put in a fiberglass boat floor (wasn't fun!) So we are familiar with the process. Ty!

Tags
floor, repair