Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

spare tire bracket on TT

I made a big mistake today. I removed my spare tire from its bracket to add some air to it and I did not pay close enough attention on how I took the tire off the bracket. Because I cannot get the tire back on the bracket and tightened down. I ended up tightening too much and twisted the stud in half. So now I have to try and fine a new lug and I still am not sure how this things goes back together. One lug goes in one hole in the wheel. The other lug goes into a black piece of steel with a hole in the center. This goes into the center large hole and the lug tightens down on the wheel and you are good to go. My problem is that is DOES not tighten down. Any ideas??

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Check your local auto parts store for a spare tire hold down bolt. You should be able match something up. Worse case contact your local dealer.
Good luck!

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #3

Thanks I was going to do that tomorrow. I watched a video on youtube and the only thing I can see that I might have done different from them is I put the tire onto a lower wheel hole and they put it on the top hole. Then the bolt through the center of the wheel and through the black steel plate. I cannot believe this makes a difference but I will try it.

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 08-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #4

You would be better off finding another bracket than the stock one. I had one vibrate till it popped in to like a thin piece of metal does when you bend it back and forth. Come to think of it bracket was a thin piece of metal. Just lucky mine came off when traffic was not heavy
trackmanbfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

That was my problem. As in the youtube video I watched, I was trying to put the spare tire onto the bottom stud and it needed to go on the top. You hang the tire by the top stud, put your nut on it and then place the metal plate on the bottom stud. Tighten them both down and your in business. Luckily I found a new bolt at the auto parts store nearby. I guess another lesson is learned.

2015 GMC Denali HD

Tags
tire