Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #1

Spongy floor fix

I know Rockwood constructed floors with Styrofoam sandwiched between two thin layers of luan and the floor becomes soft in spots due to this construction. I have several spots in high traffic areas in the floor of my 2016 Windjammer. I curse Forest River every time I walk on these spots. Has anybody come up with a way to reinforce these areas so they're not so spongy when trod upon?
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafdawg View Post
I know Rockwood constructed floors with Styrofoam sandwiched between two thin layers of luan and the floor becomes soft in spots due to this construction. I have several spots in high traffic areas in the floor of my 2016 Windjammer. I curse Forest River every time I walk on these spots. Has anybody come up with a way to reinforce these areas so they're not so spongy when trod upon?

I laid 1/8 sheet of metal over my affected area. I had a 2 foot by 3 foot piece and it works great.
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsvillehokie View Post
I laid 1/8 sheet of metal over my affected area. I had a 2 foot by 3 foot piece and it works great.

Ofcourse I put a rug over it.
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #4

I just had the opportunity to purchase a 2014 Windjammer with the same issues. The dealer actually dropped the bottom insulation and added more cross members to help. In this case that didn't get rid of the problem but ensured it wouldn't get any worse. The problem appears to be a bad glue between the luan and the insulation. A gap occurs that gives some spring to the floor.
Our 2011 does not have any soft spots. I did have some damage from a poorly designed Thetford toilet. I removed the damaged luan and replaced with new. Problem solved.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor