RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #41
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Disagree sir. I'm an engineer and I spend just as much of my time fixing things as I do designing new stuff. And most of the time, its fixing stuff broken by people who didn't do what the engineer told them to do in the first place.

Tim
Amen Tim, spent my entire career doing what you just said.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Disagree sir. I'm an engineer and I spend just as much of my time fixing things as I do designing new stuff. And most of the time, its fixing stuff broken by people who didn't do what the engineer told them to do in the first place.

Tim
sorry to say Sir...in a funny way... maybe they engineered wrong...

Devil made me do it Sir
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #43

Quote:

Tim
Maybe in your field of employment. Where I worked, half of them were fresh out of college, never worked in the field, but knew what they were doing,not!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #44
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Maybe in your field of employment. Where I worked, half of them were fresh out of college, never worked in the field, but knew what they were doing,not!
Oh, I get that all the time. Bright young engineers, fresh out of school thinking they got the world by the ass. More than once, I've had to tell them (maybe not so) that they are not experts at anything and that the only thing their degree means it that they have shown they are capable of being taught, and that their real education starts now.

Some take the lesson better than others.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #45

That is true in some fields, the ones I worked for in Aerospace were unbelievable. The ones for the phone company in the field left a lot to be desired. In the labs,they were great. Outside, not knowing how to do it, made a big difference.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Oh, I get that all the time. Bright young engineers, fresh out of school thinking they got the world by the ass. More than once, I've had to tell them (maybe not so) that they are not experts at anything and that the only thing their degree means it that they have shown they are capable of being taught, and that their real education starts now.

Tim
So true, experienced the same thing at IH.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Clean & Dry,No lube just like the O/E MFG recommends! Youroo!!
In ideal situations you are correct. In a severe environment such as dirt roads (I live 7 miles off the pavement) or salt environment (just being at the coast would qualify) and situations where the lug nuts are on for extended lengths of time the anti-seize is a must. Obviously not huge quantities, just a dab, and a torque wrench is a must. I've done it this way for 40 years and never had one come loose, and have never had a lug nut strip out or gall the stud. Rust and dirt are the enemies. I also keep my vehicles for very long times. The biggest issue is over tightening the lug nuts with an impact. That will stretch the threads on the stud and ruin both the stud and the lug nut.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #48

There is a Song written about this Subject,"You Picked a Fine To Leave Me Loose Wheel"! I had a totally different experience with New/Young GMI engineers! They would come to me and ask if I had any ideas on a problem area of our machines! I would tell them about the "Suggestions" I had turned in but was Rejected by the "Senior Engineer" because He didn't want to look bad! The KID reviewed them and went to the Dept Head with his Facts and I ended up Making LOTs of Money on my Suggestions! The GMI Kid was sent to Solve Problems and He did,and Moved "Up the Ladder" very fast! Youroo!!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #49

6 capped lugs out of 23 are cracked. 6 potential problems
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_224201.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	139158

Name:	20170526_224029.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	139159

Plus the one I replaced last week

Name:	20170511_215418.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	139160

Name:	20170514_170657.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	139161

Check your lug nuts!!

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:07 AM   #50
Just as confused as you

Quote:

Tim
Amen to that.

I operated a car shredder for 25 years. Had 2 - 2000HP DC motors connected together. Sent one out for service and when we got it installed back in line I told the collage educated tech to energize the one we just hooked up to check for rotation. He said we didn't need to and energized both motors. I went to the control tower 65 ft away and started the system when told to. The motors sat there screaming but not rotating. I immediately shut it down. He asked why, I told him the motor we replaced was running in reverse, we needed to swap the wires for the field windings. He told me that HE Was The Expert and I didn't know what I was talking about.

3 hours later the other tech decided to listen to me. The next day he came to apologize to me. I told him that there was a big difference between his education and mine. He asked what that was. I said that I didn't need a collage degree to know how big an idiot he was. My supervisor and the plant manager walked away laughing leaving him with a stupid look of disbelief on his face. He was fired 6 months later because of his attitude of being smarter than others.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:10 AM   #51
Road Trippin

Put all the other lug nuts back on and drive a short distance. Maybe it will fly off
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:44 AM   #52

Are you sure the stud is spinning or is the fake chrome cap on the lug nut itself spinning? Unless you installed solid lugnuts yourself. The shiny chrome ones you have are usually capped and the caps can come loose.. Easiest way to find out is by taking an awl and trying to punch a hole in the center of the lug nut. If you can then its capped. So take a screw driver and a hammer and work at removing that chrome cap. Once off use a smaller size sided socked and remove the lug nut. This is a common problem as vehicles tthat spend their lives out in the weather sucimb to. Hope this helps
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #53
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
6 capped lugs out of 23 are cracked. 6 potential problems
Plus the one I replaced last week
Attachment 139160

Check your lug nuts!!
Whoa! You have 23 more potential problems. Those lug nuts have reached their deformation point due to force. Looks like the seat came into contact with the lug stud shoulder before the wheel was tight. I'd replace all of them. My question would be, are they the correct lug nuts (seat), for those wheels?

Additionally, are all of the wheel stud holes oblong like the one in the picture? Could be an optical illusion, but it doesn't look right.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #54

Can't you just chisel off the nut?
Old 05-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfuji View Post
NOT if it is an aluminum wheel with the lug nuts recessed into that wheel like mine.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #56

Plus if you look at the pictures, those are full nuts not open top like most are. Very difficult to chisel off/ in half!
Old 05-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #57

I agree that lug studs and nuts should be clean and dry - never oiled or lubricated.. I have used WD40 on rusty studs to loosen the rust, then a wire brush to clean the rust off and followed up with a bath of carb cleaner (lacquer thinner) to remove the lubricants.
---
A trick taught to me more than 50 years ago may work for the fellow with the spinning stud. Put an impact socket on that lug nut, then a long 1/2" drive impact extension. Using the extension as a lever, you can then bend the spinning stud. Once bent, it will not rotate quite so easily. Then use your impact gun to burp the nut off of the bent stud.
I have used this method twice and it worked both times.
When I replaced the stud in the hub, I found that the serations in the hub were mostly stripped out. In one case I replaced the hub as it was a mess. In the other, I pressed in a new stud (easy) and then tack welded it to the inside of the hub.
---
Good luck!
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #58

That's a great idea except his are rather deep in the wheel. I think he said it came out about a quarter inch.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #59
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfuji View Post
Any idea of how that much damage will be done to the wheel bearings by that amount of forceful hammering?

There are rollers in the bearings, with very-small points of contact, and the PSI-loading on the bearing surfaces goes to the truly extreme, even with some lubricant buffering!

I take care to replace my hub "caps" with as little hammering as possible.

Any major beating should cause the rollers and races to be completely replaced.

Ever burn up a hub? It's a mess, and usually preventable.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #60

X2- marine engineer fix what they design, and build. Railroad Engineer don't ya remember the bib coveralls covered in dirt with the wrench in his back pocket. Aircraft engineer would repair in flight minor failures .
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel