Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

Stability in a Storm

I know all campers are different. That's a given.

Hurricane Florence is starting to howl outside my window right now. Things are just getting started. Its only a really hard wind right now with the occasional squall of rain for a few minutes. Problem is, the storm is supposed to linger for a long time. We could be seeing tropical storm winds until Saturday.

The Vengeance is full of water and fuel. Its our haven in case we have a big power failure. But its underneath my barn and the slides can not be extended while underneath there.

At what wind speeds would you feel comfortable setting up your camper in your own driveway? We have no trees or anything else to block the wind except the house. The camper will sit on the east side of the house.

I do have the Level-Up system with six legs.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #2

I'd leave it where it is and only take it out after the storm is over.

You can't predict where the wind is going to come from....in fact, it frequently changes directions in these storms. Wind can get under the rig and flip it on its side pretty easily.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

When we had our Puma Unleashed 5th Wheel toyhauler, which is probably lighter than yours, we rode out a storm on the eastern shore of Virginia with 40 mph winds and it was a bumpy night. We were on the bay side right on the water. Wife was no happy riding those winds out. Several others in larger MH's near us also reported their rigs swaying in those winds. I am not sure I would try anything higher and those may be too high.

Be safe.

2008 Georgetown 373DS
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

jmck. That's about what I was thinking. If the power goes out, once the winds stay in the 30s and below, surely we should be OK.

Hopefully this is all for nothing. The eye is already past Wilmington and its no more than a Cat 1. Just a light rain with maybe 30 mpg gusts for us right now.

If I had won that danged Powerball, we would have left for Disneyworld on Monday.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #5

[QUOTE=

Hopefully this is all for nothing. The eye is already past Wilmington and its no more than a Cat 1. Just a light rain with maybe 30 mpg gusts for us right now.

If I had won that danged Powerball, we would have left for Disneyworld on Monday. [/QUOTE]

Too bad about the powerball Glad you got lucky and the storm track and intensity were less than predicted. Cat 4 would have been horrible.

We were scheduled to play golf in Pinehurst from yesterday through Sunday but of course were cancelled. Not much in Central VA now, very light off and on showers with a little breeze.

Hopefully you will not need the TH.

2008 Georgetown 373DS
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

I deliver various campers around the country. When wind speed gets to 20 mph sustained, we are supposed to pull off the road and find shelter. At 25 mph winds, the storage lots close. In Wyoming, when winds of 40 mph or greater are expected, they close the highway to light high profile vehicles (campers). Violation can result in a $950.00 fine IIRC.
Eight months ago I had a camper blow over on it's side in what I have determined to be 50 mph sustained winds. Anything more than a gentle breeze still makes me physically ill.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #7

I'd head west in a hurry and not worry about how to have stability. Just saying.
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Placed my 5th wheel as close to the west side of the house (about 10 feet)during Hurricane Gustav. Nose pointed south from where the storm came. Wind was from the east at 60 MPH. All tanks full, hooked up to truck. stabilizers down. We stayed in the house and do not know about any movements, Did rip the 10 year old architectural shingles off the house from gusts. I did not think about protecting the back end of the camper but window were plastered with debris when the wind turned from the north. This lasted about 3 hours.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #9

Stayed in motorhomes during 2 hurricanes(category1) stayed on the lee side of a substantial building, the other stayed in a parking lot and kept motorhome headed into wind and away from structures thus avoiding flying debris.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

You say it is "underneath" your barn? How stable is your barn? Do you mean inside a pole barn or in the basement of the old fashioned barns? If it is low, I would worry about flooding or the barn collapsing on it. If it is a modern pole barn, probably better to leave it inside. When the storm is over, you can take it out and extend the slides. It's probably too late to get out of Dodge now, so I hope your precautions are enough. We have ridden out some pretty bad "normal" storms with 35-50 mph winds that blew down trees around us, etc. and been OK with full tanks and stabilizers, but, never been in a hurricane. Best of luck.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #11

If one absolutely, positively, has to have their RV exposed to high wind while parked consider some serious anchors.

Auger type "screw in anchors are available at the Big Box stores. Get the longest ones they have and screw them into the ground as deep as possible. I'd put one every 8 feet or so which makes the number of tie downs vehicle dependent. You also need one for each side at each tie down point.

Now add to the anchors some wide sling straps with D-Rings in each end. They need to be long enough to reach over your RV but leaving 3-4 feet of space between Rings and the eyes in the tie downs. Secure one end with a shackle and the other with either a large turnbuckle or "come along".

Put old blankets or whatever you have to make pads at the edge of the roof where the straps break over the edge.

The biggest issue with RV's is their tendency to first turn over and then roll along with the wind. Of course they don't have much protection from flying objects so I'd park mine so that the wind would hit the front as much as possible.

I guess some might want to tie theirs down by securing to the frame but I wouldn't trust the whole upper structure to stay attached to the frame. That's why I'd tie down with straps over the roof.

BTW, saw a guy on NBC evening news who had done exactly this in his back yard. Luckily the worst I've ever had to do was tie up a boat in 70+ winds. Used every piece of line on board and even set an anchor to try keep the boat from being forced into the dock by wind and wave action.

No fun.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If one absolutely, positively, has to have their RV exposed to high wind while parked consider some serious anchors.

Auger type "screw in anchors are available at the Big Box stores. Get the longest ones they have and screw them into the ground as deep as possible. I'd put one every 8 feet or so which makes the number of tie downs vehicle dependent. You also need one for each side at each tie down point.

Now add to the anchors some wide sling straps with D-Rings in each end. They need to be long enough to reach over your RV but leaving 3-4 feet of space between Rings and the eyes in the tie downs. Secure one end with a shackle and the other with either a large turnbuckle or "come along".

Put old blankets or whatever you have to make pads at the edge of the roof where the straps break over the edge.

The biggest issue with RV's is their tendency to first turn over and then roll along with the wind. Of course they don't have much protection from flying objects so I'd park mine so that the wind would hit the front as much as possible.

I guess some might want to tie theirs down by securing to the frame but I wouldn't trust the whole upper structure to stay attached to the frame. That's why I'd tie down with straps over the roof.

BTW, saw a guy on NBC evening news who had done exactly this in his back yard. Luckily the worst I've ever had to do was tie up a boat in 70+ winds. Used every piece of line on board and even set an anchor to try keep the boat from being forced into the dock by wind and wave action.

No fun.
Great idea, Titan Mike. You are right about going over the top of the unit. You basically have a foam box sandwiched between 1/8 plywood and coated with a couple layers of fiber glass. It is fastened by a light aluminum or wood frame which is screwed or bolted to the chassis. Certainly no match for a large storm. Think of holding a large blanket up in the air on a pole with the wind blowing.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
15 -21FBRS 17-F150 2.7 e

Parked in driveway

21FBRS full of water, stabilizers,X chocks backed up to garage. No trees around. Mooresville NC. Light rain and light wind so far. We have weathered a couple of heavy storms / winds over the years. So far so good. Everyone be safe and God Bless!
J.Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #14
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
Great idea, Titan Mike. You are right about going over the top of the unit. You basically have a foam box sandwiched between 1/8 plywood and coated with a couple layers of fiber glass. It is fastened by a light aluminum or wood frame which is screwed or bolted to the chassis. Certainly no match for a large storm. Think of holding a large blanket up in the air on a pole with the wind blowing.
I don't know...

I would think that straps over the top might pinch the structure of the RV and possibly crush the roof where the straps contact the RV.

I survived three weeks of 70+ MPH winds in New Mexico earlier this year in my 9900 pound 5'ver when I was full timing.

It was facing directly west into the wind (most of the time), all three slides out, kept all tanks full and stabilized the sewer hose with rocks so it wouldn't tip over or blow away, bungee corded and cable locked my bike and pet carriers under the front landing gear, lowered the TV antenna, and backed my truck up against the rear bumper to hold and steady the trailer instead of hitching it up.

I have X-chocks, plus I added several pieces of fence post wood that I use for various things as extra wheel chocks just in case...

Thought about raising or lowering the front but couldn't see any advantage to either way...so I left it level front to back and side to side.

And the 5'ver was solid as a rock...very rarely did it rock or wobble in the wind!

I did take a direct hit from a dust devil on the door side...saw it coming through the entrance door window...that shook the trailer violently, plus got me full of dust inside!

It was an interesting three weeks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111966.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	793.1 KB
ID:	186491   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4110413.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	720.4 KB
ID:	186492   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerHunkeredDownCrop-P4111966.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	681.5 KB
ID:	186493   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111960.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	554.2 KB
ID:	186494   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111970.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	766.7 KB
ID:	186495  

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I don't know...

I would think that straps over the top might pinch the structure of the RV and possibly crush the roof where the straps contact the RV.

I survived three weeks of 70+ MPH winds in New Mexico earlier this year in my 9900 pound 5'ver when I was full timing.

It was facing directly west into the wind (most of the time), all three slides out, kept all tanks full and stabilized the sewer hose with rocks so it wouldn't tip over or blow away, bungee corded and cable locked my bike and pet carriers under the front landing gear, lowered the TV antenna, and backed my truck up against the rear bumper to hold and steady the trailer instead of hitching it up.

I have X-chocks, plus I added several pieces of fence post wood that I use for various things as extra wheel chocks just in case...

Thought about raising or lowering the front but couldn't see any advantage to either way...so I left it level front to back and side to side.

And the 5'ver was solid as a rock...very rarely did it rock or wobble in the wind!

I did take a direct hit from a dust devil on the door side...saw it coming through the entrance door window...that shook the trailer violently, plus got me full of dust inside!

It was an interesting three weeks...
Good that you didn't have problems at 70 mph.

I think I'd consider some serious die downs if faced with 100 mph + Hurricane winds though. As for tying down over the roof, if you can walk on it there won't be any pinch problems. You are also tying down at the point that gives you the most "leverage". The structure itself may be strong enough to stay together but once it starts to tumble, or worse yet "fly" it's all over.

Was reading yesterday that a 100 mph wind puts just under 25.6 pounds per square foot of force on an object at right angles to the wind. If a trailer is 8' wide and 8' tall, thats 1638 pounds of force on just the front. On the side of a 25' trailer the force is over 5,000 lbs. Nose into the wind is good. From the side, nothing is working in your favor. The wind loading is all above the center of gravity and wind also builds up under the trailer to help lift.

I think a lot of people take it for granted that their trailers might be OK in wind, especially those with the larger ones but there's wind, and then there is WIND.

Given enough time I think I'd be spending my time relocating to a more calm or sheltered area rather than tying down but if forced to I doubt I'd rely on a few hundred pounds of water ballast with a hurricane on the way

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote