Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Staples in flooring

We went to pick up a 2021 Forest River Wildwood FSX in August we noticed staples pushing through linoleum. They told us to wait while they fixed them. Went camping twice and 12 more popped through. We took it in for repair with a list of other problems . We were called 6 weeks later before we hooked up I went in to see the flooring. The repair was done by hammering staples down and then wiping caulking over punctured spots. Told them unacceptable now we are waiting another month for new linoleum to be shipped but only to patch.

It seems that we are not the only ones that have this problem has any one had a satisfactory repair done this way.

Thanks for any replies
Old 12-05-2020, 09:07 PM   #2

your story is one of hundreds on here ( probably more but I don't want to be accused of exaggeration) that find not only shoddy factory workmanship, but even worse dealer repair workmanship. This is why I consistently say that doing the work that you can, warranty or not, will be MUCH better in craftmanship then letting the dealer do it.

Yes, you bought a new trailer and it should be 100% for the good money that you paid for it, but a little effort on your part OR calling FR directly to get a go-ahead with getting reimbursed then calling a mobile RV tech to do the job is the way to go to get satisfaction with a job well-done.

For the most part RV techs are paid very little and have very little experience on doing the job correctly. They get paid no matter how they do a job, good or bad. Trailers and RV's are flying out the door and dealers make money when you drive out the lot, NOT when you come back for service.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 12-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the input
Old 12-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

I found two spots where staples popped through our flooring. I decided to do the fix myself but took a bit more care than your dealer did. I used an Exacto knife to slit the linoleum a bit and then pulled the staples out with needle nose pliers. Then I used linoleum adhesive to seal the slit back to the floor. You can't find the spot where the staples were now.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
Old 12-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #5

We bought our trailer in Sept and shortly after noticed popped staples under the flooring. We have it on a seasonal site and I didn't want to unhook and pull it a hr each way for the sake of a few staples. I asked the dealer what they do and was told they just put a block of wood over them and rap the block with a hammer - they warned NOT to hit them with a hammer directly. I did tht and it seems to have worked, we'll see if they pop again. The flooring in these things is laid on the deck BEFORE any walls or cabinets, etc are installed. Not easy to replace it, if possible at all without having to put edging around everything. I'd be interested to know how the slit/pull/reseal method stands up over time.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #6

camping world Fix

After searching the Better business bureau reports on many complaints pages of issues.
Camping world took camper back and upgraded us to a new Jayco which the quality was totally different we paid slightly more but worth it.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow View Post
I'd be interested to know how the slit/pull/reseal method stands up over time.
It's been about a year and a half so far and no issues. I know that's not long term but it's a good sign to me. And just a FWIW, one of the staples was in the center of the gap between the kitchen counter and the cabinet under the entertainment system. That means you walk over that spot pretty much every time you move through the TT.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #8

Don't let them "repair" the vinyl. They did mine and they cut out the individual "planks" and replaced them. I can't keep the repair from coming up. I haven't found the best glue for it yet.

If they don't redo the whole floor (which I doubt they would anyway), I don't think you'll be happy with it.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
Don't let them "repair" the vinyl. They did mine and they cut out the individual "planks" and replaced them. I can't keep the repair from coming up. I haven't found the best glue for it yet.

If they don't redo the whole floor (which I doubt they would anyway), I don't think you'll be happy with it.
That's why I did my "cut a slit & pull the staple" routine. I figure my sealant on that slit will hold up better than any patched in piece of vinyl will. Just my 2¢
Old 01-03-2021, 05:53 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snughill View Post
Camping world took camper back and upgraded us to a new Jayco .

Thread being closed as member admits they no longer have RV nor will need help on flooring from our community

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
floor, flooring