Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Stinky Slinky and Battery question..

Coming up on the end of my first season. I have 2 more trips planned and then it is time to winterize. I plan on taking EVERY single thing out of my Trailer and treating the plumbing system with pink stuff.

Not 100% sure I should remove the propane tanks at the end of the season. do you?

I am 100% sure I am going to remove my battery and store it in my basement. What do you do?

I am about 75% sure I am going to just chuck my stinky slinky and buy a new one next season. Seems like a good idea given what passes thru there to just replace it at the end of the season. It's in good shape but lets face it, I KNOW it is dirty. What do you do????

Stan
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

I leave them where they are about the safest place for them, strapped down and vented.

In the garage with Battery Tender hooked up.

If you buy a new one and then use it, it will be "dirty" as well.

And you wasted money for another dirty hose.

Your call!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

IMO the best place for your propane tanks are right where they are. That space is made for them. Anywhere else isn't as good for obvious reasons.

Removing and storing the battery in your basement is fine. You might even think about a battery tender since it will be easy to watch over in the basement.

No need to do anything with the sewer hose as long as you've followed recommended flushing procedures. You won't be using it for anything else (lol) so why throw it away if it doesn't leak? Like Ford Idaho said... First time you use the new one it will be the same anyway. My current hose is 4 years old and I have no intentions of replacing it until it leaks or breaks.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #4

Normally I would leave everything in it,includeing the roll a way tool box stack,and just pull the battery to put in the heated shop on a batt tender.Because the unit is going back to FR in feb though,everything will come out,includeing the box which is a major pita because its bolted down and the wheels are off it! There is a lot of stuff in the basement that I really dont know where it will go! If I stored at a storage facility I guess I would empty it,but ours stays right along side the house year round.And ditch the ss and get a rhinoflex in spring.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #5

Anyone have a liner for the bumper storage that keeps the stinky slinky from rubbing and wearing? I have thought about using a 4" conduit cut to 1/3 to line the bumper but have not gotten past the thinking stage.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

The nice thing about the rihnoflex is that it is easy to keep squeeky clean.I just collapse it so that it lays up and over the dss propane tank.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #7

I have heard not to store batteries on concrete. I'm not sure if it matters or not . I play it safe by placing on piece of plywood with tender.
Definitely leave propane tanks where they are maybe lock them if you feel necessary. I have wondered if better to store empty or full. I lean towards full.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #8

The only time I remove the propane tanks is to have them filled. It is better to keep the system "closed". Nothing can crawl into the lines.

Taking the battery inside is fine keep it off the concrete floor & with a battery tender is a good idea. But I leave ours on the trailer as it has its own compartment with a battery tender that I added.

As far as the sewer hose I replace it when it starts to have a leak. The last one was used on the previous & the current trailer. The new one I got last year.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #9

Batteries on the floor has been no problem for the last many years. Once upon a time the batteries were of a construction that allowed contact with the floor and they would discharge. This is no longer a problem, technology moves along and gives us some advantage. If I am charging I usually set the battery on some surface other than my garage floor in case a cell overflows and puts acid out the vent.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #10

The "batteries will discharge if left sitting on a concrete floor" is just an old wives tale. Think about it; the battery case is all plastic, which is a pretty good insulator. Plastics are used to insulate the romex wiring in your home which can safely carry 240 volts AC. I sit my batteries on my shop concrete floor all the time with never a discharge problem. If the battery is good and charged when you sit it on the concrete floor, it will still be good and charged in a month. (There is a small amount of internal loss for any battery that will affect the charge over time, but this is negligible for a month or 2.)
Just be sure the top of the battery is clean. Some discharge can occur through conductive dirt and crap that often builds up on top of batteries.
Propane tanks are fine left alone. Just be sure to close the valves...righty tightly...lefty loosey.
As for the stinky hose, I buy high quality hoses and use them to failure. I do inspect them at every use. Also, always carry a spare hose. Buy a second high quality hose, keep it in the package and stored under the bed or other out of the way place. When the "hose- in- use" fails, chunk it in the trash,... grab the new one, and then buy another, and store it. I cycle water hoses the same way.
My 2 c...
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #11

Stinky slinky, end of season

I am about 75% sure I am going to just chuck my stinky slinky and buy a new one next season. Seems like a good idea given what passes thru there to just replace it at the end of the season. It's in good shape but lets face it, I KNOW it is dirty. What do you do????

Stan[/QUOTE]

If you are concerned it's not as clean as could be, recommend: bucket(s), 10% household bleach solution (wearing clothes you don't care about, eye protection and gloves). Soak X20 minutes and then rinse bucket (fresh water) x20 minutes. You can also use laundry detergent, I suppose.
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #12

I am thinking about removing all of the waste pipe plumbing in my house too. I bet it's dirty in there.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #13

a battery FULLY charged does not need to be stored. Just disconnected at the negative cable. It will not FREEZE unless you get -50+ degrees...it may be stored this way for months and months. Expect 5% loss of charge per month in COLD weather.
Check voltage every couple of months to be sure. Should be 12.4 volts or better. Recharge if you need to.
It does not hurt to remove them from the coach. Placing on the floor is fine. There is no need for trickle charging if you check as above and start with fully charged.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #14

Not 100% sure I should remove the propane tanks at the end of the season. do you?
we've always kept the tanks on the trailer. we get freezing weather, and have never had a problem.

I am 100% sure I am going to remove my battery and store it in my basement. What do you do? that is a good idea battery drain can be affected in cold weather.

I am about 75% sure I am going to just chuck my stinky slinky and buy a new one next season. Seems like a good idea given what passes thru there to just replace it at the end of the season. It's in good shape but lets face it, I KNOW it is dirty. What do you do???? we only replace the hose when it gets old. we always rise ours after dumping until the water runs clear. we also store it and all the things that connects to it, the camper black tank hook up in a plastic storage box with a lid, so it doesn't touch anything else

Stan[/QUOTE]
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I leave them where they are about the safest place for them, strapped down and vented.

In the garage with Battery Tender hooked up.

If you buy a new one and then use it, it will be "dirty" as well.

And you wasted money for another dirty hose.

Your call!
Ditto. aka. 2X
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #16

The dealer for my first RV offered free first year outside storage. Their instructions were that I had to remove the propane tanks - which I did. When I took the camper to storage I found I was the only one to have read the memo. Have not removed a tank since.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post
Coming up on the end of my first season. I have 2 more trips planned and then it is time to winterize. I plan on taking EVERY single thing out of my Trailer and treating the plumbing system with pink stuff.

I am 100% sure I am going to remove my battery and store it in my basement. What do you do?

Stan
Stan,

I leave my batteries in the trailer and have the trailer hooked up to the house. This keeps the batteries fully charged. Biggest advantage to this is when I lose power in the house, power outage, I am good to go for a couple of days.

As for the hose, do you buy a new one before each trip? One use and it is as dirty as it is now. Just make sure you rinse the hose out using your grey water tank and wear disposable gloves. Don't empty the black tank till it 1/2 full or better then empty your grey water tank. If you are not happy with that then rinse it out using a garden hose.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post

Stan
1) I would only remove the propane tanks if theft was a concern.

2) I did so that I could put it onto a charger and then just left it sit. I put it on wood to keep it off of the cement, but later read that it is no longer needed. Once it was on there, there was no sense moving it.

3) It's dirty, yep. Throw it into a bin and forget about it until next year. As mentioned, the new one will be dirty the first time you use it. I didn't pitch mine until I started getting pinhole leaks.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
I am thinking about removing all of the waste pipe plumbing in my house too. I bet it's dirty in there.
Remember though, replace only with copper.

Jim
Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
The dealer for my first RV offered free first year outside storage. Their instructions were that I had to remove the propane tanks - which I did. When I took the camper to storage I found I was the only one to have read the memo. Have not removed a tank since.
Many dealers ask you do that. I asked why one day and was told to prevent theft.

The dealer I use came in one Monday and founf a bunch of electrical cords had been stolen. Ten tanks and about two dozen cords gone. Had them on video but police never caught them. Two guys cut a hole in the back fence and had a grand ole time. Things wee taken from 5er storage also sense one key fits all.

Jim

Tags
battery