Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Storage Compartment Organization Ideas, I Need 'Em!

Hey everyone, I was goofing off in the trailer today, prepping for our last trip of the season and came to the realization that I seriously need some sort of organization in my main storage compartment. The current method is, basically, cram it all in there and hope the door closes. As you might guess, I cause myself more problems than I solve!

Anyway, I know there has to be some better method. So, with that in mind, I am curious as to what you fine folks have discovered and employed to clean up and simplify your storage?
Tehrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #2

Clear plastic totes, stacked 2 high is one option, it all depends on your layout. Or you could install a slide out tray for easier access, again it depends on your needs and layout.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #3

The first step is to go thru everything you have in there. Organize by:

1) Must have / need on every trip.

2) Need on some trips.

3) Shouldn't even be in an RV.

I keep the must have / need on every trip stuff in the RV all the time. The need on some trips is on a shelf in the garage in storage containers if possible.

When I go on a trip I grab the need sometimes stuff that I need for this trip and pack it in the RV.

As far as organizing I put all of the stuff I need for hookups (hoses, cords, EMS, sewage hoses, cable for tv, etc) on the left (opposite door) side. All of the larger things like chairs, dog fence folded flat, corn hole boards, etc go on the door side to the rear of the compartment standing up. I use a load bar vertical to keep it standing up. On the front wall of the storage compartment I have a plastic shelf - the kind you buy at Lowes or Home Depot. It goes almost all the way across the compartment. I put all my loose stuff on that shelf like outdoor mats, vacuum cleaner for truck, bug candles, Coleman lanterns, Coleman stove, folding flat fire ring, awning screen, etc. The last thing that goes between the standing up stuff and the shelves are a couple of storage containers that slide in the door. I still have quite a bit of room left for the sometimes stuff and any gifts or purchases we make along the way. Works great.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #4

Depending on your style of trailer you could have multiply storage compartments. For my trailer I use the front compartment for tools, blocking material for the legs, broom, hatched and fire place style tools. These are either kept in tool boxes and/or milk crates for easy removal and cleaning of the compartment. In the bays that access from the sides of the trailer, I have plastic totes some are clear and others are solid colors that are labeled. Green is for fresh water, yellow is for electric and gray is for sewage lines. My other bay holds chairs, ground mat, cooker and a small table. Fuse, batteries plus tank treatment supplies are kept in side in their owned labeled containers in one of the cabinets out of the way.
Everyone stores items differently but this is a general idea for you to follow just use what ever works for you.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

mwdilday - I would love to see a picture of your layout
Everidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #6

I have 4 storage doors (Pass-through under my murphy bed is accessible from each side) and I use several Hefty brand storage containers I bought at Lowes for under $10 each that allow easy fitting through doors and fit well under low clearance. They are 24" x 17" x 8" (nominal) with their covers. I store all of my clean water fittings and hoses in one; Spare sewer hose in another, electrical stuff in a third, etc. I labeled the outside so they are easy to identify. They are also stored closest to where they are needed, for easiest access during setup or break down. I also store my Camp Chef stove with accessories and flags, etc. in the pass through for when I need them.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
Selective Curmudgeon

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40300049/

Organizer with 6 compartments, white, $6.99...

"Need more shelves for your folded clothes? Simply hang this storage inside your wardrobe or on a freestanding rack. Use with other SKUBB products for complete control of your wardrobe."
Old 09-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #8

I put a plywood "wall" between the front full width storage area and that portion under the bed. The area makes a "T", with the under bed portion being the leg of the "T". I then placed dowels across the top of the "wall". These dowels are then used for coiled hoses, antennae cables and any other item that can be hung. Under the bed, we store blankets, a vacuum and other inside items. On the floor of the front compartment, I use the see thru containers organized on a most used basis.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #9

We bought a Christmas tree storage plastic box at Walmart that has wheels on one end. It fits perfectly in our pass through. We put a round piece of PVC against the door opening that is just a little higher than the bottom of the opening. It makes it very easy to roll in and out and doesn’t harm the rubber trim.
Inside the camper, we bought several clear shoebox size containers at the Dollar store. Labeled the contents of each one on the outside by writing it on masking tape.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #10

I made a plywood drawer, the width of my door opening by the width of the trailer. I used caster wheels for the drawer to slide in and out on. I also use plastic containers that fit into the drawer. It slides very easy and I can extend the drawer about 75% and can easily reach anything in the drawer. I am able to max my srorage, using the full width of the trailer with no inaccessible areas. After building the drawer, put two coats of clear poly on it to keep in looking good and protect it from rain, etc.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng4706 View Post
I made a plywood drawer, the width of my door opening by the width of the trailer. I used caster wheels for the drawer to slide in and out on. I also use plastic containers that fit into the drawer. It slides very easy and I can extend the drawer about 75% and can easily reach anything in the drawer. I am able to max my srorage, using the full width of the trailer with no inaccessible areas. After building the drawer, put two coats of clear poly on it to keep in looking good and protect it from rain, etc.
I'd love to see a picture of that! How are you able to pull it out 75% without something supporting the weight on the extended drawer?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #12

JayArras, I have a drawing that was customized for my storage doors. I am not sure on how to attach it .if you send me a PM, I'll send you a copy.

On the sides of the plywood drawer, I attached a 1x1 cleat that functions as both a glide and a support when it goes beyond the tilt point.

The drawer is pretty simple. Parts and hardware are readily available at Home Depot or Lowes.

Anyone that would like a copy, drop me a PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I'd love to see a picture of that! How are you able to pull it out 75% without something supporting the weight on the extended drawer?
me to
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #14

I have one of these. Installed in Elkhart.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...oaAhLJEALw_wcB

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehrab View Post
Hey everyone, I was goofing off in the trailer today, prepping for our last trip of the season and came to the realization that I seriously need some sort of organization in my main storage compartment. The current method is, basically, cram it all in there and hope the door closes. As you might guess, I cause myself more problems than I solve!

Anyway, I know there has to be some better method. So, with that in mind, I am curious as to what you fine folks have discovered and employed to clean up and simplify your storage?
The Cram It IN works for me !!!

Seriously you might go to Wally World and check out all the plastic tots,,,
and plastic baskets,,, maybe take a small tape measure with you,,, and have the sizes of your storage compartments !!!
You would also looks @ witch items you use first & which items you use the most,,, put them where you can get to them easily !!!
With our Sunseeker we have about 4 compartments that are under slideouts,
We keep stuff in them that we do not use often !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng4706 View Post
I'm considering doing pretty much the same thing, I'd love to see a picture of yours if you have it. My natural tendency is to build everything out of 3/4 ply but I do have to consider weight on this trailer so I might go with 1/2 or some combination of 1/2, 3/4 and even 1/4 where they are appropriate. Been bouncing a few ideas for sliders around in my head so I'd be interested to see what your setup looks like.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
I'm considering doing pretty much the same thing, I'd love to see a picture of yours if you have it. My natural tendency is to build everything out of 3/4 ply but I do have to consider weight on this trailer so I might go with 1/2 or some combination of 1/2, 3/4 and even 1/4 where they are appropriate. Been bouncing a few ideas for sliders around in my head so I'd be interested to see what your setup looks like.
Mr. Towed,

Send me a PM and give me your email address and I'll send you some photos and my drawings.

John
Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #18

We drove our most recent new RV to the Container Store. Asked management if we could take various containers out to the parking lot for trial fit. They were extremely helpful. When we left (including paying!), we had a nice array of plastic containers (and other things like a trash barrel that fit perfectly in one cabinet) that efficiently used the available space. Then filled the containers based on likelihood of use.

Tags
storage