Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

Strong smell in Rv

A little back ground. We have a 2019 mini lite rock wood. We took it out 3 times up in Ohio no problems with smell. We just became snow bunny’s.
In Florida now. When we go to bed at night close up windows the smell gets a lot stronger. I read that this could be chemicals they use on the cheaper trailers. It’s not egg smell or sewer smells

Question what do you use to get rid of smell?
How long will this keep up?

I read maybe try white vinegar but that smells
Dndfunteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #2

Hard to know for sure what smell you are smelling. My thought it is the smell given off by some new construction materials. "New car smell"? You may not have smelled as much in Ohio since it was likely cooler. Now you are in a warmer climate which is accelerating the off gassing from the new materials. The smell should calm down in time. Our old TT was 5 years old when we sold it. We don't smoke and hardly cook inside so after being closed up for a while it would still have a bit of a new smell. I believe this happens with anything new, no matter the cost.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #3

It's kind of hard to describe smells very well. Unlike a photo, you can't just attach it for us to share. There will be some off-gassing in any RV. One thing that will help with that is getting fresh air circulating through it. When it is nice out, open the trailer up and let the gasses escape. Keep a roof vent open a little to let them out, when the weather isn't so good. After a little while, it will get better, but it never completely goes away. Try febreze air fresheners to mask it in the meantime.

Is it a "wet" or mildew smell? Is it a chemical/wood smell? If the latter, it is normal and will dissipate over time. If the former, you need to do something about the moisture fast.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

Two years on our Cherokee and you can still smell outgassing if closed up for a week or two during the summer. Not as strong, but it's still there.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dndfunteam View Post
A little back ground. We have a 2019 mini lite rock wood. We took it out 3 times up in Ohio no problems with smell. We just became snow bunny’s.
In Florida now. When we go to bed at night close up windows the smell gets a lot stronger. I read that this could be chemicals they use on the cheaper trailers. It’s not egg smell or sewer smells

Question what do you use to get rid of smell?
How long will this keep up?

I read maybe try white vinegar but that smells
A slightly sour smell is often the adhesive used in paneling, carpet backing and such. Bad Air Sponge is available through Amazon and there are other similar products.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

Go to auto parts store and get an Air Freshener Bomb. Turn on the A/C and go outside for about 20 min. I would use 2. I got rid of cigarette smoke in my truck with one.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
Insert witty title here

Do you leave your sewer hose connected with the dump valves open? If so, it could be sewer gas from the campground sewer system.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #8

No do not leave open. I better sure it’s chemical smells from being new. not mold or wet smell. Just curious how long and what to do to get rid of
Old 01-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #9

It’s humid in Florida, even in the winter. I don’t know where you are located, but we have rain moving in today. When you have your windows closed, try using your vent fan to change over the air. I just did a quick search on line and see that Lowe’s sells Gonzo Odor Eliminator for $9.98. It says it’s made of non-toxic volcanic minerals, which absorb odors and moisture naturally. Without perfumes or cover-ups. Google it and see what you think. For ten bucks, I’d give it a try.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #10

Ours went back to the factory and came back with that new car "formaldehyde" smell again...check to make sure the sewer vents under the sink are not stuck open just in case.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
Coach

is the smell more concentrated in certain areas? I know some foam mattresses can emit a horrible smell. I've heard of some that never went away folks had to get rid of the mattress to eliminate the odor of it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

My 5'vers build date was in January of 2015, which makes it four years old (wow, I still think of it as new ).

It has spent most of its life in the dry high altitude of Denver, Colorado and the last six months in the Arizona desert southwest.

I full timed in it for the first six months of 2018.

It still has that new car (RV) smell when it is all closed up in storage, but clears out once I open it up to air out.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #13

Guessing just construction smells from vinyls, laminates, and such. More pronounced in warm weather. Should get less in time. The water in some parks can stink up a trailer just by opening a tap. Bad condensate drainage from AC or fridge might be worth a look.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
is the smell more concentrated in certain areas? I know some foam mattresses can emit a horrible smell. I've heard of some that never went away folks had to get rid of the mattress to eliminate the odor of it.

Seems to be more by frig air condition
Old 01-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
No do not leave open. I better sure it’s chemical smells from being new. not mold or wet smell. Just curious how long and what to do to get rid of
Odors and those who smell them are a wide target.

Most time when we get a new R/V the DW fusses about the 'new unit' odors which seldom bother me.

She'll then run out and buy some kind of Febreze to mask the odors that will ultimately drive my smeller nuts while she sits there going "isn't that better!?"

Open it up and air it out the best you can.
Floor fans help as does running the ceiling vent fans. (if equipped)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #16
Coach

Quote:
Seems to be more by frig air condition
May want to double check your ac and fridge condensate drainage as freetyme mentioned in post 13. Never hurts to just be sure you don't have water leaking in or not escaping as it should. That would most likely cause a musty smell though which I don't believe is what you are describing.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #17

Formaldehyde and other out-gassed (or off-gassed) chemicals typically diminish with time...kind of like on a "half-life" schedule. A few months should do it.

Intense heat and/or high humidity will accelerate the out-gassing process. That's why it's worse in FL than up north. That heat MAY be accelerating the curing process.
Ventilation is your friend. If you are sealed up in a tin can with the AC on recirc so you recycle the same inside air, you our sealing in the contaminants.

Propane combustion also adds formaldehyde to the air. If cooking inside, be sure to use the range exhaust fan to remove combustion byproducts.

One other concern. Occasionally a product will come through that is not properly cured/finished at the factory. Foams in cushions, carpet and carpet padding and so on are particularly likely to be culprits, but so can fabrics, adhesives, laminate flooring, and so on. My mother was chemically injured (leaving permanent scarring in her bronchial tubes and lungs) from improperly cured carpet padding in her home. It took her years to recover a significant portion of her respiratory capacity...she never fully recovered.

These gasses are unhealthy, so you should do your level best to ventilate as much as possible and understand that the process takes time. There is no way to accelerate the curing of adhesives in wood products, foam, fabrics, flooring, and so on.

Most people handle occasional exposure to these chemicals fairly well. But some people are very vulnerable. Let your "nose" be your guide. If the smell is oppressive, limit your exposure. Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.
BUT IF THAT FAILS, hunt down the culprit. A single bad item, like an improperly cured foam cushion on the dinette or mattress might NEVER cure. That's a manufacturing defect, and the item will relentlessly poison you.
If you suspect that's the case, then it's time to locate the offending item and get it out of your environment.

More on formaldehyde.

Testing devices.

Suggestions for dealing with formaldehyde.

CDC info on formaldehyde

I am the former executive director of he New York Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides. Our focus stretched to include indoor air contamination from synthetics, insulation, adhesives, and so on. I've testified before the EPA on the subject of chemical contaminants and human health. Don't ignore this. Each person is different, and if the smell is "oppressive" to you, that means it's harming you.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #18

Air circulation is what will eventually eliminate it but 2nd best is Ozium. Works on about every odor
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #19

Install a strong fan (fantstic fan, Vortex, etc )in the roof vent, open a window partially and turn on the fan. This will draw out stale air through the roof and draw in fresh air through the window and help alleviate the smell.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #20

I had an unpleasant smell for over a year not long after purchasing a new Class C. It took me a while and the purchase of a gas detector to run down a leaking propane connection under the sofa where the furnace resides. Oddly, there was no rotten egg smell and it never set off the alarm. But the connection was so loose that it must have never been more than hand tightened during the build, and some miles on our highways loosened it further.
Frenchcreek is offline   Reply With Quote