RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #21

I verified that I can pick where I want to go. Apalachee and Spartan are likely where I take it. I prefer recommendations over blindly going to a repair shop.
AtlCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #22
Head Rambler

Since that's a stick and tin (aluminum siding) TT it won't cost nearly as much to repair it as a filon TT would. It won't take nearly as long either. Even if the wall framing is damaged it can be easily repaired once the siding is off.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Since that's a stick and tin (aluminum siding) TT it won't cost nearly as much to repair it as a filon TT would. It won't take nearly as long either. Even if the wall framing is damaged it can be easily repaired once the siding is off.
PLEASE be true, PLEASE be true, PLEASE be true!!!!
Old 04-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #24

Yeah, the aluminum sided trailers are easier to repair. Our "neighbor" at the storage lot scraped the side of our trailer backing his in, and punched a fist sized hole though the filon side. It turned out to be a $9,000 repair! Spartan had to remove both slides on that side and replace an 8' section of the outside wall between them. If they had just patched the hole, the patch would have been sanded smooth and not matched the texture in the filon. The trailer was only two years old at the time, and after the repair it looked as good as new.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #25

Your wife will drive your rig to the campsite and get everything ready before you arrive? You need to do whatever is necessary to keep this woman happy!!!
Old 04-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #26

Long time

Just an FYI. It took over 6, yes that's right, SIX months to get parts for the repair of my Flagstaff 5er from Forest River. The parts were a stair, entry door, hatch and J wrap. Pretty simple list. And that was with me pushing Forest River since the dealer (H*mlo*k H**l in Southington, ct did nothing to push them. Then to ice the cake they did a really crappy repair job.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #27

You did not give your location. But I am from NY but found Midstate RV in Byron Ga. An awesome place. Huge bldg (8 bays,a huge paint booth/body shop), immaculate (could eat off floor), very very nice people, work is perfect and they did everything required. Passed by on way south so they could determine and order needed parts, then stopped on way home and had work done. (I protected for rain while in Florida.)

Nationwide rep is in town and stayed on top of whole scene, communicating w us,etc.
tuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #28
MCTroy

This falls under the category of xxxx happens. I agree, this may be salvaged by insurance. And that could be ok. You get a new trailer. Good luck.
MCTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #29

I had a similar accident. I thought that it could be repaired, I was able to use it to camp for the week, just had to use my picnic cooler as a step. What I didn't know was that the Trailer Box,(top part) had been shifted. There was also some damage to the chassis. On the way home I stopped at the dealer I bought it from. They also repaired RV's. He did a quick check and saw the frame was bent a bit, but worst was that he was afraid if some of the lines, especially the propane, could have been damaged. It was judge totaled.
How does the inside look Is the kitchen on that side? My dinette was and it was knocked almost off the floor.

Hope your damage isn't that bad.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #30

Ok, I took it to Spartan RV that was recommended here. I choose that over Apalachee since Spartan is 10 miles from my storage lot. Waiting on getting the estimate. The side has been pushed in about 2" between the front window and the storage door to the left of the entry door. The cabinets have some minor damage.

I asked him, you think 5-10k? He said yeah, and maybe more. The frame is fine. I'm thinking 80% chance totaled. So, I'm starting to look at some new campers. Now that we're not taking a family of 5 camping, and our kids are a few years older, the double bunks aren't needed.

Time to wait and see. In the mean time, I'm looking at new.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
Your wife will drive your rig to the campsite and get everything ready before you arrive? You need to do whatever is necessary to keep this woman happy!!!

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #32

Richards RV Center Hwy 101 and Abner Creek Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlCamper View Post
My wife hit a 3' tall construction cement barrier pulling out of our storage lot. The dealer I bought the trailer from, Bob Ledford's Adventure Motorhomes, can't get me in until the first week of June.

I have a Camping World and a Campers Inn near me. Additionally, there are a couple if independent RV places near by. What are people thoughts about Camping World and Campers Inn? Expensive or do they all charge the same? Should I really use a Forrest River dealer to do the repair?

Attachment 202912

I'm expecting this is going to cost me a few thousand.
Richards RV Center is not far from Ledford...has good reviews on line.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #33

ADVICE

Don't go to campingworld....
Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #34

As for the steps... I've see a new style that folds up "INTO" the doorway as one piece. I like it much better that the PITA fold/slide out steps.
Just my thoughts...
Good luck, let us know how it comes out (take pics).
tgomez61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #35

MY thoughts, fwiw. The Forest River dealer nearest to me is worthless. I wouldn't go back there to have an LED changed.
Camping World in DeForrest WI, near Madison, has been great, repairing some minor damage (which included cracked fiberglass) for us at a reasonable rate.

For some heavier damage, due to scheduling issues we took our Forest River Forrester Class C to a local auto body shop belonging to a family friend. He was the best, being trained and experienced in body work and painting.

With Spring springing, your local body shops may not be as closely scheduled as they are in Winter, at least that's the case around here.

If the option were available to me, I'd contact Forest River and ask them if they'd do the work. Everyone I've talked to who took their RV there, has had only praise.
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #36

3500$-$5000 would be my guess . On the higher end
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #37

We were rear-ended last June. We ended up being sent to a Truck/RV body repair shop. We didn't get it back until the end of October. The problem was getting the siding from FR I guess. They never did get the decals, so they hand painted them on and they look amazing. Our toy hauler is a '14. It was a little over $8,000. It tore up the rear bumper, left stabilizer jack, the rear door frame, the flooring inside, and about 3' high of siding. The car spun down the side and unbelievably miss the sewer lines, shower, and the venting.
bhunt2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:23 PM   #38
Retired Old Fart

Let me toss something into the mix.

One of the guys I worked with had some damage to a 5er a while back from a highway accident. He did the repairs himself. He found a similar (not same model) 5er that had the same size awning, windows and storage doors he needed that was totaled by an insurance company in one of the Mississippi River floods. In a big flood or hurricane response they come in and just total everything and move on.

Paid next to nothing for the salvaged trailer. He only wanted it as a parts doner. He ended up upgrading his sofa and a few other things as well. The flood part only damaged the wiring and under carriage of the doner 5'er. Everything he wanted was fine. I think he paid like $2000 for the whole thing and towed it home. He did not care about it not being titled (it would have to have been repaired and have a state inspection before they would issue a "salvage" title). He just wanted the parts. I think he sold some of the appliances, converter, etc... on eBay and ended up giving the remaining shell/frame to a scrap yard for the steel if they would take it off his hands. In the end, he probably made money.

Might work as a parts doner for your situation if you could find one, even if you have an independent shop do the work (as a plan "B" if insurance does not cover it or does not cover it all).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #39

Junk yard.

I never gave it a thought before but are there junk yards for RVs like there are for cars? Maybe you can find a door or awning there. Save some money if they exists.
Tim wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #40

Suggestions on getting this damage fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim wen View Post
I never gave it a thought before but are there junk yards for RVs like there are for cars? Maybe you can find a door or awning there. Save some money if they exists.

If you are close to white pigeon Michigan, 15 minutes from shipswahana, ind. there is a RV surplus called Bontragers. They have everything you would need to build yourself a new camper. When I was out with my brother picking up his camper at Wana RV, I made him take me there to pick up some cabinet doors for my mods to my new Puma. $7.50 per 12x24 cabinet door you cant beat it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3918.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	203576
These were added to make more storage.

If you need a lot may be worth the trip there even if your a ways away.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote