RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #41

Rv Repair

My phone number is (phone number removed by site team since any computer user around the world can see this) if you want to call. I made a similar repair to my mother-in-laws trailer but it is a lot of work. The question is whether the frame is wood or aluminum. If it is wood then the repairs are much simpler. You need to see underneath the damage to determine the framing. Ultimately you have to remove the weather strips that run the length of the trailer at either end whereto sides meet the front and rear and then remove the siding starting at the top and working down to the bottom. Once you have that done then the repairs can begin. If it is wood you can straighten the vertical ribs and then sister them on either side with 1/4 inch luan strips glued on with gorilla glue or some other waterproof glue. Obviously the door will have to be replaced and the awning pars that were damaged. You will also need some new siding. Surprised you wouldn't use your insurance and just pay the deductible. Your auto insurance may cover towed items if you don't have RV insurance. But feel free to call me if you like. By the way I am in NC south of Raleigh so only about 3-4 hours from you
colretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #42

Well the total on the repairs is $9,800. In addition to the damage on the door side, there was a slight gouge on the slide out, requiring 2 panels to be replaced.

Here are some more up close photos. The wall was pushed in about 3 inches. The photo of on the inside with the door and the wall, you can see the wall coming in. Additionally there is some damage to the sink cabinet. Time to call insurance and see what the next step is. At almost 10k, I'm thinking it's likely totaled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_172836.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	203584   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_172902.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	203585   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_173029.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	203586   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_173102.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	203587   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_173234.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	203588  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_173444.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	203591   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_173523.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	203592  
AtlCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #43

Camper Repair

My recommendation is to fix the camper so that itís usable and than contact the manufacturer and have them preform the repair. My experience dealing with dealers is itís going to take months just to receive all the parts they need to make the repair.
I had two slides completely removed and sidewalls and floor replaced in three days.
With the factory you schedule time and they focus on your rig.
Good Luck
Ron
Ocnboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #44
Lame *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocnboating View Post
My recommendation is to fix the camper so that itís usable and than contact the manufacturer and have them preform the repair. My experience dealing with dealers is itís going to take months just to receive all the parts they need to make the repair.
I had two slides completely removed and sidewalls and floor replaced in three days.
With the factory you schedule time and they focus on your rig.
Good Luck
Ron

Would a Factory be more expensive?

Question is if the Blue book value is more than the repair cost. We have not seen what his insurance folks tell him based off his 9.8k estimate.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #45

The first thing I would do is contact your insurance company. They should be able to give you an idea on what they will pay for the repair. Just like your car insurance they will want to pay the least amount of money possible.

My experience with the factory is that they work with you and their costs are very competitive.
Ocnboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlCamper View Post
Apalachee RV is pretty close to me. I'll definitely give them a call. I called Camper City, up 985 at Exit 9. They don't have a backlog. I'll give Apalachee a call this afternoon too.

I hope it's not a 15k repair. The Awning was damaged before this, and needed some work. I called Ledford, and they said to replace an awning, it's typically 1000-1200. I really don't want to have this one totaled.
I would not take anything to Apalachee RV, they did some body work on a motor home for me a few years back and did a poor job. I think the only thing they do well is to tell you how good they are.
Rdgillilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #47

go to Apalachee RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Close to you is Apalachee RV on 316 just northeast of Lawrenceville. They are completely independent and do this type of repair work all the time. Good at what they do.

https://www.apalacheerv.net

I second the recommendation for Apalachee RV in Auburn. Wonderful people to work with and the quality is awesome! The replaced my roof and AC among other things from hurricane Michael and I couldn't have been happier with the entire experience. I would avoid Campers World like a plague.
csterl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:25 PM   #48

I have insurance claim going. Apalachee is just a bit of a drive for me. Spartan is 10 miles away from my storage lot in Buford. Heading out toward Apalachee is at least an hour drive. And since there was recommendations for both, I choose Spartan.

Spartan said the NADA value is 16k. I've heard that some total at 50% of value and others at 80% of value. I should have an answer from the insurance company (USAA) by Tue/Wed next week. If it's totaled, we already have 3 trailer models we'd like to check out. Hope it's repaired, since we planned on keeping the trailer another 3 years before we sell it.

Brian
Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #49

Mid State a 4, Apalachee RV a 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedo View Post
You did not give your location. But I am from NY but found Midstate RV in Byron Ga. An awesome place. Huge bldg (8 bays,a huge paint booth/body shop), immaculate (could eat off floor), very very nice people, work is perfect and they did everything required. Passed by on way south so they could determine and order needed parts, then stopped on way home and had work done. (I protected for rain while in Florida.)

Nationwide rep is in town and stayed on top of whole scene, communicating w us,etc.

I avoid Mid State, even though they are 100 miles closer than Apalachee. Bad experience with Mid State, no communication, much longer repair time than told, I basically had to show them how to fix. They repaired the gear on my sldie and left it almost 2in out of square.

Apalachee told me three months to repair my roof, and it was done on time. They called me every week to update me on the status of the repair, went above and beyond what needed to be done, and the work was superlative. It is worth the 200 Mile drive to have my unit repaired by someone I trust.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlCamper View Post
Ok, I took it to Spartan RV that was recommended here. I choose that over Apalachee since Spartan is 10 miles from my storage lot. Waiting on getting the estimate. The side has been pushed in about 2" between the front window and the storage door to the left of the entry door. The cabinets have some minor damage.

I asked him, you think 5-10k? He said yeah, and maybe more. The frame is fine. I'm thinking 80% chance totaled. So, I'm starting to look at some new campers. Now that we're not taking a family of 5 camping, and our kids are a few years older, the double bunks aren't needed.

Time to wait and see. In the mean time, I'm looking at new.
Let us know how satisfied you are with Spartan. I'm always looking for recommendations for reputable repair shop. There are a lot of culls out there, including most RV sales facilities
Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #51

Well, It's been approved to be repaired. WOOT!!!

So, how has Spartan Marine & RV been to work with? Fantastic so far. I let Leonard, the person writing up the estimate know that I hoped to get this repaired and not totaled. He took a couple of days to write it up, he called me a couple of times during the process to let me know he was still working on it. It was great that he followed up with me, instead of me having to call him.

After going through the red-tape of the insurance's contractor, he called me to let me know the estimated was approved and the contractor was updating my insurance company. I called my insurance company, to verify the next steps, and their system wasn't even updated yet. (They got the update an hour after I called).

Leonard knows that I have a family trip lined up for the end of June, and that Forest River has at times been slow to get parts out to repair shops. He let me know of a backup plan should the alum panels take too long from Forest River.

Today they start ordering parts. I'll update later on how well they do the repairs, but customer service has been great.

I'm really happy with them so far.

Brian
Old 05-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #52
Head Rambler

That's good news. Hopefully they'll get it fixed quickly and I'm sure they'll get it done right.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #53
Lame *****

How did the repair go?
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #54

Well, I used Spartan RV. They finished July 19th and they did a great job. I did have problems with getting parts, that I helped resolve. Spartan RV isn't a FR dealer, so they can't order parts directly, instead they placed orders with a dealer.

Once I got the correct dealer PO numbers, I called FR to try to expedite delivery. I had a vacation at the end of June I was trying to get the part for. My owner rep at FR, Sabrina, was great, she was trying to help as best she can at FR. Issues I had to track and keep focus on my parts were

- FR Shipped to dealer not repair shop.
- FR shipping department didn't put parts in correct spot to be picked up (cost me a week)
- Awning damaged in shipping, needed to be replaced
- Wrong Alum siding sent
- UPS didn't have a truck to deliver siding to Spartan RV and it sat at the ATL distro center for 4 days.

All of the above I was the one working things out. Spartan RV would call and leave voicemails, but the Owner support line I would get a person immediately.

BIG TIP: When calling FR to check on status, verify delivery address. When they say it will be shipped on X date, call in the afternoon on that date, get the confirmation number and track it.

The bad news, 2 weeks after getting the trailer, my wife went camping. I was to join her the next day. Well, she rubbed against a tree pulling in to the campsite and we need a new awning.

Time to get camera system to watch both sides and the rear.

Brian
Old 08-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #55
Noob

It sounds like weíve isolated the real issue. You guys and these wives. . . LOL!
Flywithlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #56

I don't think I'd let the wife tow the camper anymore. Seriously.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:51 AM   #57

Just pay to fix the camper, itís cheaper
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:27 AM   #58
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I don't think I'd let the wife tow the camper anymore. Seriously.
Yep. True story.
Flywithlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:23 AM   #59
DaLexusGuy

Wow. Something you can use over and over again in future " discussions"! The first hit was good enough to get you a long way...but two hits!?! Wow, Jackpot!
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote