Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Surge Guarded

First time poster, long time lurker.

One of the countless bits of advice we've taken from this forum when we got our very first RV this June was to invest in a good surge guard. I think the attached photo bears witness to the wisdom of this membership. So, thank you!

Now. What the heck happened?

We didn't experience any electrical weirdness during our stay. All was normal until I tried to disconnect from the power pole this afternoon. It took me and my DH a good bit of effort to free the Surge Guard. When I showed our more experienced neighbor (many thanks to F.R.O.G. member, Barbara) she confirmed my plan to report it to the camp office. The office staff apologized and took my info and a couple pics. They promised to get back to me this week. I did see her right a service ticket for the site we were on. The camp had lots of way more desirable site available after the Sunday exodus so I'm fairly confident no other rigs will be in immediate danger but what do you all think - is the CG responsible for replacing our surge protector (Surge Guard 34830) or should we just continue to be grateful it did its job and replace it ourselves?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170924_141629.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	152418  
Raif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

Looks like a loose socket caused that, are you saying your unit isn't working anymore? Looks like 30 amp, 30 amp ate the most used service, they become bad, I would be surprised if the CG did anything. If it is still working no big deal. I hope they do something for you.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

Also if they don't step up, and the unit is still working, cut the end off and install a new one, good luck

Old 09-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #4

That could have easily been caused by a bad receptacle not gripping the blade tight enough. It was probably arcing. That will cause a lot of heat.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Okay, I made the newbie assumption that the damage to the surge protector would render it useless in the future.

We were ready to pull shore power so I flipped the breaker and tried to disconnect the surge protector...it wasn't hot (or even warm) to the touch but it was stuck in the socket and good.

Would you trust the unit to protect in the future or replace it?
Old 09-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #6

Put another end on it and get to camping. Cut off as little as possible when cutting to wire on the new end.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
Site Team

It is unlikely the protection circuits were damaged. I would just replace the plug. Very easy job. Either the socket prongs were not gripping the blades tightly, or the connection to the socket connector was loose causing a high resistance connection causing it to heat up. I have seen much worse.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #8

I would try to clean that blade with some fine sandpaper. The same thing happened to the plug on our cord this summer, but not as bad. It cleaned up with 400 paper.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
I would try to clean that blade with some fine sandpaper. The same thing happened to the plug on our cord this summer, but not as bad. It cleaned up with 400 paper.
The plug is melted and unsafe for use. The OP will need to replace the male plug before next use.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #10

Is it a Progressive surge protector? If so, they have a life time warranty. Ours did same thing, they sent a new one.
Sharon.72064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #11

It my understanding, that they have changed there policy, maybe if they grandfather you but not anymore, per a thread on this forum

Old 09-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #12

I had my 50a Progressive Industries take a surge. Had a replacement in 3 days.
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #13

Here is just one more...

One more reason why good surge protection is necessary.

My niece and her husband recently got into RVing and one of the things that didn't get onto the 'must have list' was a good surge guard.

First time out they were at a nice RV park at a busy time... end of summer break... and the park began to empty, several at a time.

It is my opinion that it was an untimely event of several RV's unplugging close together or at the same time that caused a power surge that they suffered for... and learned a costly lesson.

They both had their cell phones plugged in charging.... yup, you guessed it... fried both of them !
Even if they only had a surge bar inside between the wall outlet and the phones they may have been saved.
The trailer and everything else was fine... the phones are just too delicate towards surges I guess.

Which reminds me to ask them... "did you get that surge guard yet?"

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
Had a similar thing happen, cleaned it up with the green dish scrubber as was worried sandpaper might take too much metal off. I still might replace the plug but so far it has been fine. Just make sure it doesn't overheat and it is probably OK. Another thing I do now is use the 50amp power pole outlet with an adapter whenever possible. That way if the issue happens again it only heats the adapter cable plug. So far, in general the 50amp outlets seem to be in better shape than the 30amp. Also, helps get the full 30amps, quite often the 30amp pole breakers are weak and trip sooner than they should.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
I had my 50a Progressive Industries take a surge. Had a replacement in 3 days.
That must have happened more then a month ago before they changed there policy. NO more lifetime, only original warranty. They use to be good, but things do change.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 09-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #16

Thank you all for the advice! And the cautionary tales that reinforce the need for such a pricey piece of equipment.

I contacted the manufacturer (TRC) of our model (SurgeGuard 34830). Tech support there figures it was a loose connection inside the pole that caused an arc and melted down the prong. He prescribed a fine grit sandpaper to clean it up as others here have suggested.

The damage is NOT covered under the lifetime warranty as it happened outside the unit (or something to that effect). The warranty would cover a compromise to the housing or a malfunction on the outbound/female end. He assured me that as long as the display works and the unit cycles on, my rig is protected.

I did hope the campground would follow through and offer to replace it if necessary as their pole caused the damage...but I bet it I shouldn't hold my breath.

Now I'm off to YouTube to learn how to replace the plug...
Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
That must have happened more then a month ago before they changed there policy. NO more lifetime, only original warranty. They use to be good, but things do change.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app
The lifetime warranty still exists. They've just placed more restrictions on it.

Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #18

Read it they offer only to repair the unit once, plus all the restrictions, lighting is a big culprit to failure, no longer covered. So what are they really covering nothing.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #19

The Progressive Industries debate is in another thread.

It is good you had a surge suppressor and good you let the staff know. Like others have said, buy a new male connector and install it. There are videos on Youtube - here is a good one - I like how tthis one has you test the connectors to the wire, just in case it is manufacturer didn't correctly line up the wires.

Good luck.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote