RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #61

I installed the Progressive 30A hardwired unit last weekend. Installation was easy for anyone handy with household wiring. It powered up as expected. It’s cool having the voltage and current draw displayed, and it will be interesting to see what voltage we encounter at various campgrounds.

I purchased the EMS not so much as “insurance”, but rather just to have another gadget to play with in the motorhome. If, in the end, it never needs to prevent damage, but instead is just a display for voltage and current, it’s still cool. If it does prevent damage sometimes, well that’s even better. I like to know everything that goes on system wise. The next toy will probably be a monitor for the 12 volt DC supply.

The best price I found was at Tweetys; as of today their price was $30 less than Amazon.
https://tweetys.com/electrical-manag...SABEgIeCPD_BwE
Old 12-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #62

Surge protector

Yes you need one I was in a Good Sam Campground a few years ago a ground squirrel built a nest inside the pedestal I got a surge that took out 2 TVs microwave battery charging systems air conditioner
Berniealvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #63

Surge protectors...yes, no, maybe.

The only reason we bought one was the Campground we go to twice a year...said they were having "electrical surges" & recommended that ALL RV's use one. I love this San Clemente Military Base campground & purchased the Portable RV Surge Protector EMS-PT30X RV, without complaint. ***Be sure you get a padlock & fairly long chain to secure it around the power post. The EMS-PT30X is too pricey to lose. We got ours on Amazon, I think they had the best price at the time.
So there you go.
**Did not use a Surge EMS for years, and probably would never had..but for the Campground warning. Happy Camping.
lilydogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina_Wine_Mixer View Post
Hello all,

Lets talk about surge protectors. As a newbie to the TT/RV world I have questions

1. Do I need a surge protector?
2. Do you use one?
3. What do you use/recommend?
4. Why do you recommend that one?

Thanks!
Catalina_Wine_Mixer, Let me address your questions as listed:
1. Do I need a surge protector? The choice is all yours. Consider the EMS as an insurance policy against losing all the electronics in your RV for a number of conditions that can damage them and/or create an unsafe condition while plugged in at a campground. Damages could exceed $10,000. (Low & High Voltage, Reversed Polarity, Open Neutral, Open Ground) You should purchase an EMS(Electrical Management System), not just a surge surpressor ... that is the $200 to $350 type, not the $75 to $150 kind. After you have been RVing a few years you will notice the crowding at the campgrounds and along with the crowding comes more electrical usage on campground electrical systems which were not designed to distribute that much power when they were designed and built, so the incidence of low voltage will be a recurring problem.

2. Do you use one? 3. What do you use/recommend? I own a Progressive Industries portable 50 Amp EMS and have been using it whenever connected to campground power. So far, it has operated several times due to low voltage and twice indicating miss-wiring at the pedestal prior to setting up the RV at the campsite.

4. Why do you recommend that one? I chose the portable model so that I could analyze the power at the pedestal before I go through setting up the RV. I have found a couple of sites with issues and was able to get a new site prior to setting up the RV. I chose the Progressive Industries model after doing considerable research and reviewing customer product reviews. By profession, I am a retired electrical power engineer (40 years experience) and I was fully satisfied with the specifications of the Progressive Industries Products.

Good Camping .......... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #65

We use one. You spent a lot of money on your rig why wouldn't you want to protect it. We use ours to check correct polarity/grounding prior to hooking up to ground power. Buy one.
Waterphowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #66

Donít need one till you burn out your RV

We all have a lot of electronics in our RVs today and you probably donít need one if you donít care about all the like electronic and all the other devices use power. I have been R.V. for four years now and have seen power from as low as 105 volts to 139 volts. And if you are using you ACs at that low voltage itís not if but when you will be needing a new unit because the motor gave it up. I use an internal unit by TRC that looks after all high low cross wiring and more. But every one has an opinion.
veepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #67

No, you don't need one, until you need one! Feel lucky? EMS here, every time I plug in. I'm not lucky, and I never win anything...
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #68

You will get varying replies, to each their own. My 2 cents is buy one with surge, low voltage and miswire pedestal protection. You have a lot invested in your rig plus risking ruining days of travel or camping if your converter and microwave fry. You will sleep better during lightening storms.
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #69

I use a camco one. I feel better using it to monitor voltage. Especially in summer with AC running.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Protect...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
fairpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #70
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilydogone View Post
The only reason we bought one was the Campground we go to twice a year...said they were having "electrical surges" & recommended that ALL RV's use one. I love this San Clemente Military Base campground & purchased the Portable RV Surge Protector EMS-PT30X RV, without complaint. ***Be sure you get a padlock & fairly long chain to secure it around the power post. The EMS-PT30X is too pricey to lose. We got ours on Amazon, I think they had the best price at the time.
So there you go.
**Did not use a Surge EMS for years, and probably would never had..but for the Campground warning. Happy Camping.
You don’t need a padlock and chain. Mount it inside. See post #22 in this thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-198735-2.html

And, if you get a different RV you can keep the protector.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #71

Surge Protector

Itís sort of like an insurance policy ó- you hope you never need it .My situation is I live in our Motorhome so I protect it like I would my home .

While you can read Progressiveís literature, I recommend the following

ó If you buy one buy the best one for your RV .
ó I use mine religiously
ó Connect it to the Power Pole first ,while setting up and let it go through itís
scan sequence.
Once completed connect your cord to the protector.
ó The best one automatically shuts power off to your RV if there is a problem
ie lightening or whatever event creates the SURGE . Once the event is
over a the protector senses all is ok it allows the power to your RV to return.

Once again itís insurance ó- how much does it cost to rewire your RV . Will that
event ever occur ó- hopefully not ó do you live in your RV , if so I wouldnít
be without it ó- once again buy the best
Ungechbub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #72
Senior Junior Member

Another Reason...

There is another reason for having an EMS that I did not see mentioned. How many times have you had power go off during a storm and quickly return? If that happens with the AC on, the compressor could be energized at the wrong time in it's cycle and be damaged. An EMS has a built-in time delay to allow the AC compressor to normalize before restarting. That just covered the cost of the EMS.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #73

I would

Quote:
Hello all,

Lets talk about surge protectors. As a newbie to the TT/RV world I have questions

2. Do you use one?

Thanks!
It is good to have. Some campgrounds are not grounded properly.Storms. Ect, Highly recommend.Better than burning out your electronics
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #74

Surge protectors do I need one

I camped for years without one. Then two years ago I was camping at a Corp of engineers campground the voltage at the pedestal went extremely high and burned up my fireplace, microwave, and washer ($2500) damage. Now I own and use a voltage protector made by Camco that actually turns off the power if the voltage gets too high or low. Plus if there is a surge it protects against that. Now I feel safe and Iím not worried about burning up the electronics in my camper.
Bobcat304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #75

Do you need one? No, not until you need one. Then you need one and will wish you had one. Small price to pay to protect your expensive electronics and equipment in your expensive RV. Easy decision for me.
3:31, Husky Centerline TS
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #76

Yes, I use one and it gives me peace of mind. Cheap insurance against electrical issues outside of the coach.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #77

I wonder how many people, without power protection, have had to make expensive repairs to their electronics, not even knowing it was ruined by low power, high voltage or reversed polarity from the campground. So in their mind, they've never had a problem with campground power so why have power protection? To me, it's like car insurance; I hate having to pay for it but I'll be very happy if it ever needs to be used. For a one time, small payment, you can have peace of mind knowing that your expensive RV electrical equipment is protected. It's always your choice but for a few hundred dollars, I choose power protection. I am an electrician (retired). Buy the most expensive one, you can afford and include EMS.
gwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #78

I purchased one as I have my Toy Hauler plugged in and I have a special timer that turns on a box fan for 2 minutes every 15 minutes. I didn't like the idea of no air movement and I think the cycling of the fan may help with keeping critters away.
I may be new to the RV world, but that is my way of thinking
Old 12-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #79
Senior

Much has been written about this if you run a search. I have camped since Boy Scouts as a teen and have owned multiple RV's since the 80's. I never worried about the quality of the electric back in the analog day but today with all the electronics we use in this digital world things are a little different. So I bought a device that not only can protect against low power by somehow transforming 105 volts to 120 V but also protects against surges and other electrical problems.

Before using it I pieced together a 30 A to 15 A adapter with a 3 gang plug that I used to plug in a cheap plug in amp meter and plug in tester that shows reverse polarity, ground faults and good connections. I plug this in before connecting my shore power plug and it let's me know that there is good voltage and the wires are connected correctly. In the 3 or 4 years of using this I have only found 1 problem that was with an old well used receptical which I resolved with my 50A to 30A adapter in the 50A plug that gets less use.

Of course this does not prevent 25 other campers arriving after me, plugging in, turning on their AC and browning out the campground it just means everything was A-OK when I first plugged in. Meanwhile the unit sits in the unopened box in a storage compartment of my motorhome and nothing bad has happened.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #80
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hello all,

2. Do you use one?

Thanks!

1.Yes only if you think you need insurance against blowing all your electrics
2. Yes and it has save me twice from bad campground wiring.
3. Surge Guard
4. 10 second Electric inspection & analysis, My 30 A portable has 2400 joules protection. Lifetime warranty
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in Mar 2021 in Perry, GA
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote